Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1952 Studebaker Truck Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbacca, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

[​IMG]

Side shot with the bed back on. It can still roll at this height.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

My new compressors and tank came in from Air Zenith today. Looks great. Tank is all aluminum. So debating on polishing it. These should be in this weekend after another day of fabricating on the truck.

http://air-zenith.com/
    [​IMG]
    Nice metallic in the black color.
    [​IMG]

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

S10udebaker Truck
    Like'a. Rock
    Cool Body Style

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The profile is killer.... KILLER !! :) Seen this on Streetsource last year and wondered if you ever went along with it.

Have you hooked up the new tank and compressor yet? ive heard those AZ comps can fill up in less than a minute, sounds like a metropolitan legend, wonder if it is.

5. bstie

bstie

Great looking studebaker love the stance! Mine will not be as low a little more east coast rake... on an origional frame. Keep on truckin!

Attached Files:

6. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Nice truck project. The frame was long gone by the time I got the truck. Being a farm mule did not serve it well.

7. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

More rear suspension and a some more bed cutting / cleaning. Upper 4 link bars are in. We are having some debate on where the rear bags will be so that will be next work day on it..

[​IMG]

Upper 4 link bar mount going in
    [​IMG]

Upper bars tacked in. Bag mounts next time. Wood is for helping it roll back to it's sleeping spot.
    [​IMG]

Bed- The wheelwells were clearanced more. Metal was sanded, bed degreased. Bare metal painted. Next time off the bed will be undercoated.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the comments and messages.

8. servi53

servi53

cool truck and crazy fins, I like it

9. For what it's worth, a 97-up GM G-van pedal is offset about like the altered one in the pictures above, it comes over about 7 inches. A lot of work to pull one but they're common in junkyards. Might save someone some work if they do the same brake mount arrangement -

10. studeboy

studeboy

Jim just looked at the Facebook page. Thanks for posting all the pics especially the engine compartment. They will come in VERY handy when I get back to my truck build. Mine sits on a '96 S10 Blazer 4dr chassis.

Have you driven the truck with the Hydroboost and how noisy is it. I had a Silverado that would buzz under braking and it drove me nuts.

11. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Cool glad you like the page.
    I can't hear any additional noises when braking compared to the manual setup it had before. No different then my old work astro. The truck is obnoxiously loud so it may mask it. If you are doing hydroboost I suggest getting a PS pump setup for dual lines. That way you don't have to run a T. The boost is out of an astro and the lines are off of a fullsize. The main pressure line is a bit long though so I'm sure if you did some research you would find a line that would fit better or do the custom steel braided lines. That's on the list of things to do.Good luck on your build.

12. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Metal delivery day.

[​IMG]
    18 ft DOM Tubing
    10 ft 6" Plate
    30 ft 1.5 tubing
    2 4x4 18 guage sheets

Should about cover the crossmembers, suspension and new panels.

Plasma, Grinding and welding on the frame and rear suspension tomorrow since today was shot do to this being available much later then planned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It has some nice neighbors in the shop though

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  13. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Rear frame plated and capped. Holes in the top of the frame filled. Old mounts ground flush on the notch.
    [​IMG]

Aluminum Air tank mount in. Both compressors mounted.
    [​IMG]

Not bad for a day. We'll be moving forward on the truck. Watt's and Bagmounts next

14. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

I LOVE this build... Wish I could go this extreme on my 55 Stude truck build... But the budget won't allow for it. I'll just live vicariously thru u! :D

15. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Here's some shots of the fuel cell that is being made for the truck.

[​IMG]

16. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

You are gonna put dirty ole gas in that work of art you are calling a fuel cell?!;)

17. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Beats the rust flavored gas that used to run through it. The kid did a great job welding on it. Just needs a few modifications before it gets installed.

18. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Engine work time.

Before Passenger side
    [​IMG]

Comparison
    [​IMG]

After Passenger side
    [​IMG]

Pretty straight forward on the passenger side. I will be relocating the valves and battery to clean up that side.

Driver side
    [​IMG]

Comparison
    [​IMG]

Header in
    [​IMG]

Driver side is more interesting. I see why some use block huggers and do a remote filter. I had to pull the column and do some clearance work on the frame. But the column was getting removed and the shaft redone anyways. This will be going in place.
    [​IMG]

19. bstie

bstie

Looking good keep it going! Where are you locating the fuel cell?

20. 32ford07

32ford07

i have air ride tech. on my stude two compressors and two 3 gallon tanks takes a while to fill them up. how is your compressors filling with no air to start..

21. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Fuel cell is going in the bed. between the axle cover and the front of the bed.

On my toyota I ran two of the old AZ OB1 and they were quick 0 to 160 psi 5 gallons in about 5 minutes. These are supposed to be faster. We havent got this setup fired up yet. Should be soon since the shop is moving and we need it to at least be able to drive on the tow truck.

22. 32ford07

32ford07

thanks for the info

23. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Here is the official sheet AZ puts out. This is in comparison to Viair compressors. Not sure which version of the ride techs you have but I've seen them range from the firestone look to Viair looking ones. If its a Viair type one then the graph would be accurate.

[​IMG]

24. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Core support and radiator mount work

Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flattening any old materials
    [​IMG]

Metal tacked in and plating reinforcing old cut areas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up is redoing the upper and lower radiator mounts.

25. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Great build Keep the updates and pics coming

26. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Today was lower mounts which turned into frame work and bullet removal. The bullets will be reinstalled after some new mounts are made and the fenders properly radiased for a better even look.
    Redoing passenger side cap
    [​IMG]

New cap in place. Radiator lower mounts in. Bent some sheet metal into C channel for the lower mount then L channel to reinforce it. Just need some clean up sealer and paint for the lowers
    [​IMG]

Radiator fit test. now on to the upper and some cleanup work on the upper core support reinforcement
    [​IMG]

27. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Core support / upper radiator mount round 1
    [​IMG]

I'll be needing a new hat
    [​IMG]
    No serious damage to the truck.

Core support / upper radiator mount round 2
    All one piece on the core support and new radiator piece. Holes drilled to secure the panel with 4 stainless 5/16 bolts
    The whole panel will be removable for servicing the radiator, fans and engine.

[​IMG]

Hood closes and grille in place. Time to relocate and remount the bullets.
    [​IMG]

28. looking good

29. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Thanks. It's coming along. Going to have some steps back to make it right on the frame but it will be fun to do in the process. Not as sick as the Durant yet.

30. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

The gas tank has arrived. It does have baffles inside for reinforcement and help with sloshing.

[​IMG]
    Bungs for fuel lines
    [​IMG]
    the pad is for the sending unit.
    [​IMG]