Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Plymouth-My Version

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALTAFR, May 23, 2013.

1. ALTAFR

ALTAFR
    from Enon Ohio

With no experience, not much money, very little talent or skills and two long winters in the garage this is my vision of what a 1952 Plymouth Cambridge should look like. It has the original flat head (rebuilt), T-5 tranny from a S-10, Ford 8" rear end, MoPar Ralleys and air bags in the front. The top was moved forward 3" and chopped 4 1/2" at the windshield. I thought it looked better with one piece door windows so the wings went in the pile with all the unneeded stuff.

Attached Files:

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Must of had some talent there. Looks good.

3. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I'd say you've got both talent and skills. I'm in awe of someone who can chop a car, and make it look right. And yours looks great. I don't think I'd know where to begin. Nice job!!!

4. you made that car look great, very nice job.

5. Are you watching this, Kiddies? This is how it's done. Grab an un-popular car, try your hand at making it the way you want it and listen to nobody telling you it can't be done..
    Well done.

6. James427

James427
    BANNED

Liar. I thought you said you had no talent?

7. farmer12

farmer12

Well said. Agree.

8. raff23089

raff23089

Talent, you've got plenty. Nice job!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. milner142790

milner142790

Damn good looking!! I like everything about it! I've got a thing for the mid fifties mopars. I've got a 1953 desoto and M in the process of trying to buy a 1952 desoto. I like that they Re not the type that everyone goes towards. You did a very good job, now enjoy it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Looks good! Whats the secret to mating the t-5 to the flathead? Does someone make an adapter? Your car has a different look to it, nice work

11. jcs64

jcs64

any pics of the tracks for the one pc door glass?
    Im wrapping up my '51 plym project this yr (i hope:)
    Ive also done away w/ the vent windows since it flows better. To support the front edge of the glass I used roller bearing drawer slides stood on end. Im having doubts they will work:-(
    seems the rollers want settle to the bottom after a few "cycles" and then bind up. I may end up going to the cheaper nylon supported ones or *gasp* a power window track.
    Im guessing you also notched the inner support for the door hinges too?

Did you rework the doors window sill to make the opening perfectly straight (the vent window slightly tappers in to make for a curved sill when its removed)?

Sorry for all the questions but as you know, not too many have done these cars, so its good to see more done.

jeff

12. ALTAFR

ALTAFR
    from Enon Ohio

When I put new window channels in I mounted the rear with the original mounting brackets. For the front I cut the bottom guide off of the wing and remounted it as far forward as I could. I used the stock regulator as it was. Yes I notched the support for the door hinges. My biggest problem was I had to change the angle of the front channel because when I chopped the top the side windows were on a slightly different angle. I just fudged it until the window would go up and down easily. This was my first time at this and I had a lot of time in it ( had the window in and out somewhere between 50 and 5000 times). Looking back it maybe wasn't as hard as I made it. You're right I had to make a new top sill for the doors. I found the best way to do this was to run a straight line from the front to the back and put in a full sill rather than try to move the wing angle out. I love the new look. Good luck and if I can help give me a yell.

13. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

14. jcs64

jcs64

15. tragic59

tragic59

Nice job.

Do you have any close ups of the grill? It looks like you removed the teeth and made it a floater. I would like to see how you did it...

16. gassman57

gassman57

Great job; looks fantastic. So, what could you do if you had talent?

17. no bux rod

no bux rod

Nice work. I like the way you left the rear window angle close to original. A lay down window would not work. The tapered chop adds to the look quite well.

Post some additional pictures we want to see more.

N B R

18. derbydad276

derbydad276

looks great where are all the pics from the build?

19. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Sweet .... I'd also like to see more pics from the powertrain construction phases. Looks like the top was chopped in front and recessed down over the rear glass in the back, but to a lesser degree?