Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1952 Plymouth Belvedere hardtop wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Jul 14, 2012.

1. started this project about 15 years ago. got buried in my "TO DO PILE" and sat out side rusting for about 10 years. had a customer (now friend) rescue it and is really doing a great job on it.
    Bob has issues with posting photos so I'm going to keep some build photo's going. first a little history.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  2. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

I cant wait to see this one finished....

3. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

C'mon! A little more history, some pictures too? For those of us who put ourselves to sleep at night dreaming up crazy "what if they'd made this in the factory" scenarios... like it like it, want some more detail!

4. here are some from yesterday at Bob's shop

Attached Files:

5. History! you want history? april 1956 George Cerneys 1950 Cad Powered Plymouth wagon on the cover of Car Craft (little pages) I went nuts for that car. found one (a 52 suburban) in the early 90 that was not for sale. a couple years later when I got it for $350 I discovered the floors were completely gone. a friend had a 52 Belvedere hardtop that had decent floors but had been rear ended. I got it for 2 model T windshields.

Trying to figure out how take the floor out of the car into the wagon. I found there were some things that were different. the car had a 7 inch longer wheel base. it was between the door and rear fender. also the hardtop door bolted up and worked fine on the wagon.

My plans changed to what would Cerney do if he ahd these parts? I was going to chop it anyway so I cut the roof off. took the bottom half of the windshield, cowl and floor notched where needed and put it on the wagon chassis.

very cool thing both vehicles had two body mounts between the B piller and in front of the rear fender. 17 inches apart on the car and 10 inches on the wagon. so I was able to bolt the car part to the front mount and the wagon part to the rear mount and 1 weld across the floor joined the 2

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  6. man i am excited that this car is getting worked on.

7. This is going to be a good one!... Please don't upload the pics in micro size..... They're so hard to see in my age! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

8. don't give the old age BS I was 19 the day you were born. when you hang up your phone and turn on the computer. click on the photos and they get bigger:D

9. Me too! I didn't sell it because I didn't like it. I liked it so much it killed me seeing it rust away.:eek:

10. Some pictures go larger some don't?? Keep posting please.

11. I didn't say anything about old age! My eyes are just not that good anymore!:(

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

12. sorry, these are crappy cell phonee photos,

13. RWH

RWH
    from Pdx

Thanks noname, and thanks to all the other encouragement.
    Bob

14. RHW is the new owner and I can tell you all that he is building a better wagon than I ever would have.

Bob I started this thread you can take over with any updates and I'll keep the photos coming:cool:

15. RWH

RWH
    from Pdx

Got the pieces for the Buick headlights made today, changing my mind on the grill opening, narrowing and recessing the 52 grill. I also decided to use the bumpers front and rear, I think it will make the car look longer and lower, which is the look I am going for. Keep you posted.
    Bob

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      261.6 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      366.9 KB
      Views:
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, should look great when finished. If only the factory thought of that body style.

17. have often wondered what happened to this car, how about your old coupe how is it coming along. not to mention that old bathtub nash,

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The rendering is so dam great. Hope the finished project will be close.
    Now, the metalwork on the roof seems flawless, and im liking the front end....basically loving this :)

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

man id kill for that wagon!!!! i love 2dr wagons.any kind.well any old AMERICAN kind anyway lol im gonna keep a eye on this one.

20. this car is getting the attension that it needed.

the 49 nash 2 door I traded for a air compressor and a riding lawn mower.

the 48 ford 3 window is minus the Hemi and sitting in the back corner of the shop till I can make it look for mt avatar

22. just got another visit with Bob's Bevedere wagon. narrowed grill, frenched head and tail lights. bumpers moved in tight. grave shields

Attached Files:

23. What tail lights are they? That wagon is too cool.

24. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Not sure, but from that angle, they look like the taillights on my '53 Buick...which would match the '53 Buick headlight rings.

Maybe the owner/P.O. can verify that.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

25. I think you are right

26. close but no cigars! 1956 chevrolet. Bob went thru hell deciding. in the end just made his own

27. I started this project by using parts from three cars. Just fitting pieces together that almost fit. Bob is going thru sheet metal and making stuff from scratch. Spending very little compared to what most builds cost. I appreciate that he considers my original. Vision for the car. While adding his personal touches.

28. RWH

RWH
    from Pdx

The tail lights are 56 Chevy lenses with housings that I made from sheet metal and generic light sockets. The rear bumper is tucked to the body 2" then I formed sheet metal gravel pan to fit. The license plate is recessed 1 1/2".
    Bob

29. Thanks Bob. I like your style lol....Jim

30. HELL YA another 52 hits the road.