Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Olds front suspension.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrible Tom, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

So, my Olds rides like the Queen Mary. I'm thinking that the knee action is pretty much toast. My plan is to cut 2 coils out of the springs. How about if I added a conventional tube shock to each side, thus eliminating the worn out knee action. I'm sure that the original shocks could be rebuilt at $$$ but why not just go with something more modern? Wouldn't be too hard to rig up some mounts. Thoughts?
    Tom

2. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

3. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure the shock replacement has been done. The lever shocks on my '50 are good while the rear is soft. On the coils, I think that I'd try one coil cut first, thinking that 2 might be too much. I went with the sagged stockers and Fatman dropped uprights.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Might be low on fluid.

5. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

I agree with Bobert, cutting two coils right off the bat might give you a hell of a surprise when you sit the car back down.
    I used a new set of coils for a 1970 chevy nova (307) on my 50 olds and ended up cutting 1/2 coil off them. And don't forget new coils will settle some in a week of so. Also there are places around that rebuild those lever action shocks.

6. interstatemaster

interstatemaster

Have you tried to refill them? You can play with different weight oil until you find the dampening you like.

7. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

That's a good idea. No, I haven't messed with the shocks at all, maybe I'll check that out today. Also those Cokers on there are pretty tall, I don't know if I want to stay with those or not. Maybe something with a lower prifile.
    Tom

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The old hotrod fix was to add a standard shock to the outside of the upper CA buy welding tabs on to fit the new shock. The problem is that you have to be very careful when you add the shock so that the tire clears the new shock as it travels from lock to lock. Lots of guys added shock only to have the tire rub when turning. They will fit but check twice before you weld. The original shock is just a pivot point for the upper control arm. This was a common upgrade back in the 50s-60s. There is nothing wrong with the geometry. It just needs to be dampened with a working shock.

We ran "Rod jousting" with my 47 Chevy woodie wagon in the 70s. The original shocks were so bad that I could actually pull the front wheels By bouncing the car with properly timed clutch releases. After a few times up and down the front wheels left the ground. My buddy in the back seat with his pool cue almost got sea sick.:D The spectators loved it.

9. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Yeah, I was thinking about that tire clearance.
    Tom