Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Ford F1 Shifter Options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model40-770, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Model40-770

Model40-770
    from LOUISIANA

Right now I am still getting back into my Rods after having to sit on the sidelines for a few years. (Divorce, kids, etc) I have started a Fairly complete 1952 Ford F1 (factory six, three on the tree) I got it from a friend of mine that was saving it for a future project, but when he located a 48-50 panel his plans changed. Once I got the truck I started cleaning it up and patching pin holes in the floors, hood. I still have a lot of work to do on the fenders but the cab is just about done. I have a 12" ft disk brake kit sitting in it waiting to go on. Going to keep the stock suspension for now.

I have been playing with engine and trans combos. I would really like to keep a manual in the truck and put a 302/toploader 3speed in it later on. The 302 I plan on running needs a complete overhaul and I want to use Boss 302 parts on the top end of the 86 roller cam block. So that engine is on hold till I can do it up like I want it too. Right now on hand I have a 1969 mustang 250 I-6 backed by a Hurst shifted Toploader 3 speed. The same trans I planned on running behind the 302.

I started by buying and mocking up a tubular 302 FT engine mount and transmission mount. Then Mocking up a spare 302 block and toploader 3 speed I had in the truck. That way for later on I have the engine mount where I need it. I then pulled that out and worked on mounting the 250 six/3 speed. I have been exploring my shifter options since I found out I may need to cut part of the floor out. It wouldn't be a lot but I would like to keep the floor un-cut and keep the shifter in the trans inspection hole cover area.

Has anyone tried or made a shifter with the long C curve like a tri-five Chevy bench seat shifter has for something like this? or show me what shifting solutions you have come up with to get around this problem.

Some Pictures of what I am working on.

Day after I got home with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting started on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Working on fitting everything body wise and seeing what the fenders still need. It was in a FT end wreck some time in the 70's, nothing major just a fender bender.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starting to take shape, I like the tire and wheel combo on it height and size wise. I have a set of aged moon spun aluminum disks to go onto them. When I get that far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back to the shop playing with combos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The trans mount is just sitting in there right now until I am sure where it needs to go.

[​IMG]

Here you can see where the transmission is sitting from up top. The shifter comes through the hole in R and 2nd gear but is all the way against the floor.

[​IMG]

This is the engine and current shifter I am dealing with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It already has a small dip in it.

If you are wondering WHY THE HELL THE THREE SPEED. That's easy I have run one for years in my 67 mustang and love them. This is a RAN tag with the 2.99 first gear. I would be doing some work on the six as well like I had on the 200 that was in my 67 before the 302 swap.

Other options I have been weighing is I have got a Y-block out of a 1954 Ford F-4 from the same friend I got the truck from in a trade we did later on. I haven't identified it yet. Suppose to have less than 30,000 miles on the truck it was in. Holly 2-v on it, the shifter is in the right place BUT it is a granny low and that would bring up another problem that could be solved with a rear end swap.

Not looking for anything fancy, just trying to come up with ideas to keep this simple.

2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Man, duzzat look familiar- and here's what a Y-block looks like in there (rat turds and acorns have been removed).
    This one started with a Cost Clipper Six and granny box, looks to have the driveline out of a later truck including the juice clutch and 3/tree now
    BTW, why would going to a granny box mean a rearend swap? High gear should still be 1:1, correct? You'd just have a 1st gear you'd almost never use

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Model40-770

Model40-770
    from LOUISIANA

The truck the Y-block came out of had a two speed rear-end. I was thinking the trucks with the two speed rear-end didn't have a 1:1 4th gear, I may be wrong. I haven't researched the Y-block trans mission gearing yet since I am trying to put the 250 in there. But I do have the option if needed.

4. David Chandler

David Chandler

I personally like the top loader 3 speed. Perhaps some of your problem could be solved by moving the shifter forward? That would mean shortening the rods ect, and making some sort of bolt on bracket. But I think it could be done. That four speed that you mentioned, is it syncro or the older non syncro type? I had two 52 F1's at one time. I sure miss them.
    Good Luck!

5. 53 effie

53 effie

Depending on your fab skills, you could move that factory shifter box forward.

I have a toploader OD in my 60 Ranchero and did just that. The toploader OD had the shifter mounted at the rear of the tailhousing about like yours. I mounted a steel plate to the original mounting holes on the tailshaft housing and drilled new holes where I wanted the shifter box. Then I shortened / fabbed the shifter rods to match the new shifter location. I used a diagram from a Granada shop manual as a guide on how to route them for my usage with OD. My shifter now comes up out the floor much like a factory Falcon version that came out in 1963. Works like a charm.

I think you could do the same type of thing there to get the shifter to come up more where the original one would.

6. 53 effie

53 effie

Hopefully this pic will show the toploader overdrive linkage I fabbed for my 60 Ranchero. I moved the shifter forward from the original mounting location with a steel plate.

Attached Files:

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I passed on one of those 3spd+OD toploaders at the last "Reno" Swap Meet for $100, thought about it all the way down the row and back up the next, walked back and somebody had just bought it :eek:

8. 53 effie

53 effie

I've got a spare one for the same price as the swapmeet but shipping would kill you... I could bring it to the Seattle area in a week or so. Then you'd just need to get it to CA.

9. Hell, I'd just rebuild the stock column shift and hook it up to the toploader. Sneaky and plenty of room for three passengers

10. Model40-770

Model40-770
    from LOUISIANA

I have looked at that also talking with another member on here about it. I have another top loader RAN tag that is out of a three on the tree application. I have been trying to dig up some pictures of the shifting linkage for that.

Another option I have is I got a Y block out of a old 1954 bean truck from the same friend I got the truck from. I was thinking it was one of the Y blocks that is based on the Lincoln platform. I have decoded the engine and it turns out it is a passenger car 292 or 312 (just haven't opened it up yet. Block is listed as 56-57 but intake is 2v 57 only from what I have been told. It turns free but haven't heard it run yet.

Another friend had a 272 Y block and ford-o-matic he pulled from a 55 ford car project he had. Tried to give it away a few months back. Asked about it today and it was long gone, oh well. I will get something sorted out on it.