Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 F-1 spidles and brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NYfatboy, Aug 10, 2009.

1. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

OK,I just spent several hours on here searching and am now very cofused! I just got spindles and backing plates,with the hubs,from a 52 F-1. Can I put these spindles,etc on a 1930 model A axle? Please let me know,Thanks!

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes you can. THose spindles will fit your axle if you use the king pins that are for the F-1. The only problem you will have is the steering arms, they'er just not suitable for early car chassis. If you cut the originals off, you can use any number of aftermarket arms made for 37 - 48 spindles. Speedway as well as others have a good selection for a number of applications. Good thing about thisswap is that the brakes are the later bendix style, stop quite a bit better than the early ford stuff. If you post what chassis and steering set up you have I might be able to help select steering arms.

3. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

1930 Model A chassis,I've got a 67 mustang box,or can still use the stock A steering

4. The model A box is not very good. The F1 and F100 boxes are better.

The Mustang box will work but you will need an aftermarket sector arm. You will also need to fabricate a mounting bracket. All of the Mustang boxes that I have seen mounted are under the frame rail.

The driver's side F1 spindle is a bitch to work with. If you can find a second passenger side F1 spindle you can make a very workman like conversion using aftermarket steering arms.

Have you checked out the brake articles in the HAMB Tech Archives? A lot of good info there.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I admit that it is a bit of work to clean up the drivers spindle, but it can be done. In a perfect world if you can find a second left spindle that would be best. As far as steering, I'm with Bib overalls in that an f100 or f1 steering box would be a better choice, preferably f-1. But the reason I asked was to set you up with steering arms. For a traditional side steering set up, a hoop steering arm is a good way to go. Speedway has them, but so does every body else. I have always taken a bit more time and welded a small reinforcement plate in the arm before I use them. As far as the other arms go, I should have asked what front axle, spring, and locaters you are using. Hairpins, Four bars, split wishbones? You said model "A" axle, but is it dropped? Sorry about another round of questions, but need to know to get this right.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sorry brain shut off for a minute! that's a second right spindle, just like Biboveralls said

7. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

Right now its stone stock,will probably split wishbones-Thanks for the help!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Some shallow arms should be what you need. Speedway's number for them is #702-2754-pln. They will have an extra hole on the pass. side that you can cut off if your not going to use cross steering. I know that some folks don't like to do business with Speedway, and ten years ago I would have been one of them. But the quality of their parts has risen and service is pretty damn good these days. That said, So-Cal,Magnum, and everybody else offers the same arms as well.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Another quick thought, you might see if you can get the steering box from that F-1 as well. Vern Tardell wrote a cool little book on installing it into your frame that is available through his web sight. Simple and would work much better than the mustang unit, especially with an unsplit 'bone.

10. I fought the same battle on our roadster. Wanted to use a '41 box because it was original and I allready had it. I even got Tardell's book and rebuilt the thing. It's a cross steer OK, but the steering sector on that box was too long - would hang way down. The guys at Reno Rod & Custom in Okie city said "ya won't be happy with this box". So I thought for a moment and ordered up a vega style box that fits just swell. Can't fight experience!
    Good Luck!

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Also a damn good alternative ! I've seen that before, the boxes work great, but if you want to set the car low you have trouble.

12. sorry to hi-jack the post but i had a similiar question.. what do you have to do to mate the spindles from a 54 ford truck to a 48 car front axle..