Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1952 Chevy steering box /column advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motoandy, Jul 20, 2016.

1. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I Just scored a replacement 52 steering column . My current box has a little more play then desired. My plan is to rebuild the new box and swap with the current box. Has any one cut the column and reinstalled with a universal steering joint ? I'm trying to see if I can avoid pulling the column.
    If I cut it short of the box then just remove the original box and install the new box that would have 4 or 5 inches of column can I attach with steering joint? Does anyone have pictures ? I am running stock steering .
    Thanks , Andy ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469062452.079058.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469062462.776241.jpg

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easier to swap out the column , no fabrication involved , a bolt in ....

3. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Go back all stock? Column and box is all one unit .

4. jlckmj

jlckmj

I just changed mine out TWICE!
    I bought one that was supposed to be good and it was not, so I had to re-do my old one and put it back in.
    I would guess it took 3 hours the first time, and 2 to 2 1/2 hours the second time.
    The hardest part is lying on your back under the dash taking the column u-bolt out.
    The second hardest part is taking the fresh air duct out of the engine bay so you can wiggle the box and column out.
    Really not too bad to get at once you get the front wheel off so you can get to the bolts on the box.

Jim

5. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

The only time I've seen anyone cut the column is when they want to use their stock column and have installed a Mustang II. You have to have a bearing between the tube and the shaft to provide support, something like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cp175bcs

I wouldn't do it if you were using your stock column and gearbox. I think it would be more work than just pulling it all as one unit.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The column/steering box comes out through the underhood area. If you can locate a 53-54 column/box, you'll wind up with more room between you and the steering wheel, AND roller bearings in the box instead of bushings. You'll also get an integral turn signal setup, not an add on dealer/aftermarket one. Contact "deto" here on the HAMB; he just had his steering box rebuilt by a guy over on ChevyTalk.Org, Tom Parsons/DZAUTO. I don't know what he charges, but he's a master of anything he does, and he does a LOT. I'm sure you could shorten your shaft, but there are bushings that support the shaft in the column, and you'd probably have to fab up something for the "lower" end. A rag joint or universal could be used, and an aftermarket column or GM unit. I personally like the simple, old school look of the 49-54 Chevrolet steering columns/boxes. My 51 Bus Coupe box was in good shape, and we only added lube to it; I wound up selling the car a few months back, and regret having to do that (too many projects/cars). Give a shout out to deto, or contact Tom on the other board. Good luck. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Thanks butch!