Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 chevy coupe radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AustinPhoenix, Jul 7, 2009.

1. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

I'm swapping my 235 for a vortec 350 and need to keep that puppy cool. Anybody that's done this, please lend a hand or any ideas/experience. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible...and as cheap as possible...but I think we all know those two don't go together. lol

Also...if you are in the central TX area and need a 235 or powerglide, make an offer. If not...I'll probably rebuild it sooner or later.

2. I just recored the stock one and its fine never an issue and I use a clutch fan!

3. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

Yeah...I need to find a radiator shop that will do that for me.

I subscribe to Street Rodder and this month's issue has a bunch of stuff about the 49-54 chevy's. They mentioned a few shops that had replacement radiators but man....3-5 bills for one?! Ouch...that'll hurt my budget.

Pretty good read for anybody with that year model of car.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most people just use the stock radiator without problem. You say you removed the 235 and Powerglide. What about the Powerglide torque tube rear end? Those are worth a pretty penny due to the Powerglide gearing in the rear, 3.55:1, as opposed to the manual trans 4.11:1 gearing. Hope you did'nt toss it. I'm making a utility trailer out of the torque tube rear that came out of my 51 Business Coupe, nobody seemed interested in it, even for free. There are some pretty cheap aluminum radiators for 49-54 Chevrolet cars on that auction site we all know and love. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

If you use the stock radiator have a good 3-row core put in AND have them change the inlet to the side opposite of the outlet to create a cross-flow. If you leave the upper hose inlet in the center at the top the core is not being used to maximum efficiency.

Then it's all a matter of a good fan (biggest one that will fit!) and a good shroud.
    But I'll tell you that for the '51 that I'm starting to build I plan to modify the whole support area to allow me to use a later-model aluminum crossflow radiator if possible.

6. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

I still have the drive shaft and rear end. I don't want to pull it until I can find a nova or camaro rear. I haven't decided what to do just yet, so I'm holding onto the entire driveline unless somebody makes me an offer.

Good point about changing the inlet! It's either I look at modifying the front end a bit to accomodate another radiator and support, recore mine or divvy up the dough for a new one. Thanks for the tips guys!