Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 chevy channel....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TENSIONER, Aug 2, 2005.

1. TENSIONER

TENSIONER
    from SEATTLE

I was lookin over ideas of replacing the floor pans on my 52 chevy, but I thought I would prove to myself how badass I am, and attempt to channel and build a new floor with sheet metal.
    Can I get a crash course in channeling and some pics.....
    Ive ran a search and didnt see anything that pertained to 50's kustoms and with the massive rust holes it just seems easier and funner to build a new floor.
    you are all awesome and badass...........................:cool:

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

theres a massive amount of channeling info if you look but your right very little fo it says "on a fiftys car" its shown mostly stuff with 30s car.

but wether its a mini truck a dump truck or a led sleed you do it the same.

weld in some structured suports

rip the old stuff out

weld in a new sub structure for the floor and some body mounts

drop it down, mess with the rad suport

cut away what hits

finish the floor

drive the shit out of it

;)
    hope that helps

3. TENSIONER

TENSIONER
    from SEATTLE

Thats what exactly what I was thinking!

Do I run supports accross front to rear with tubing to ensure the body doesnt flex to much?
    Should I pull the doors or leave em on?
    What are the biggest opsticles on channelin a 50's chevy.................

4. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I put a x brace below the b pillar going from side to side and from the front to back. You can either remove the doors adn put a brace in there or you can tack the doors closed.
    The hardest part will be when you have to fit the front sheet metal back on. The radiator support and inner fenderwells are usually the hardest.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

id say id run as much suport as i could. kind of what you would see when you chop a top. its preety much the same just on the other side stucther wise.

i would asume youd want to make sure your doors are how you want them to line up ect and remove them AFTER putting the bracing in. then sure take them off itll be alot esyer working on it with out the doors in the way

i dont have any real hands on infomration but just keep in mind that the guys that invented it were just cutting it up and sitting it lower, it realy isnt any more complicated then it looks.

just keep it simple, and then take some pictures and make a fat car channeling post ;)

good luck

6. TENSIONER

TENSIONER
    from SEATTLE

Thanks for the info guys, and I will definelty post progress pics.....

I truly consider everyone here the closest thing Ive ever had to a father!

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

if you want some help on puting the front clip back look to the guys sub framing cars or do your self a favor and look at the tech o matic post on the s-10 frame swaps itd be preety much the same thing for the most part

8. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I also would put the vehicle on jack stands with tubing running across from side to side so the channel is even.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Glad to hear I'm like a father.. Now clean the basement and cut the grass!!

AND GET A HAIRCUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU LOOK LIKE SOME KIND OF HIPPY....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. TENSIONER

TENSIONER
    from SEATTLE

AWESOME YOU GUYZ

AND DAD(S), STOP HURTING MOMMY!!!!:mad:

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Take the wheels off the car (assume its already lowered some, cut the floor out, lay body on ground, build new floors........