Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1952 Chevrolet Car V.I.N. rivets

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jimboph420, Jun 24, 2018.

1. jimboph420

jimboph420

Evening ladies and good gents. Ive been doimg some online research and i still cannot find an actual answer and figured someone would know on the H.A.M.B.
    On a 1952 Chevrolet car, what kind of rivets are holding the V.I.N. plate to the A-pillar and where can i get a set of replacements? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What happened to the original ones?

3. WQ59B

WQ59B

Aren't they spot-welded originally? They are on GMs in 55, 56, 57, 59, 60 and 64 (via personal experience). I believe GM went to using rivets for '65 or 66.

4. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

my 1952 chevy were riveted to the car. I would just take the plate to a hardware store and see what fits the holes and use those, probably something like 3/16 or close to that size.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good DMV inspector, CHP inspector, or a knowledgeable vehicle verifier will spot a non-OEM attachment in a heartbeat. We all have access to materials that say how and where these are attached.

I am far from mine, at the moment, but they sure were not hardware store pop rivets.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IIRC, it was a big funky rivets.

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Try National Chevy Association, or the other 49-54 vendors. They are "odd" rivets. They were't welded on until 55. Got to have the CORRECT rivets/welds to get it by the inspectors, and even then, they don't know everything.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I've got part of a 50 Chevy "A" pillar sitting in my garage, the VIN plate is held on with clutch head screws.

9. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

upload_2018-6-25_2-24-29.jpeg

Original gm 52 Truck data plate rivets look like these, not sure if car are the same?

The 50 truck did use the screws

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are the rivets that I remember.

11. jimboph420

jimboph420

Seems somewhere along her life, she lost one and the other is loose. Looks like rivets but i cannot verify. Dont want to damage anything trying to repair.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 40 has clutch screws also.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A possible kludge with funky rivets...attack them from the rear and grind/drill/kill the backside of the rivets. attach rivets to plate and plate to firewall with glue. Probably fairly safe to get inspected.
    If you have one still there and one missing AND you are in a state where for new registration of a vehicle with no remaining documentation it might be beat to have the mess verified by the inspector as original plate with one undisturbed original rivet. That would document it as an original plate that never went anywhere.

ClayMart likes this.
  14. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

If am not mistaken, it is a Felony to sell Vin tags OR VIN rivets in most states. That is why you can't find them online.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  15. WQ59B

WQ59B

There's a bunch on eBay the couple times I checked (one of which was just now).

16. oldolds

oldolds

17. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

18. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

In Michigan
    Paragraph 5
    A person shall not knowingly possess, buy, deliver, or offer to buy, sell, exchange, or give away any
    manufacturer's vehicle identification number plate, federal safety certification label, antitheft label, posident
    die stamps, secretary of state vehicle identification label, rosette rivet, or any facsimile thereof.

A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years, a fine of not more than $10,000.00, or both. If the person who violates this subsection is a licensed dealer or repair facility, its license shall be revoked.

https://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(iswsnphsqi1szvl4pops5sbi))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-750-415.pdf

Rosette rivets are illegal in at least 5 states to buy, sell own, use or possess.

In California:
    DSCN4522.JPG

19. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

20. Terrible80

Terrible80

Funny, I was watching a car TV show the other night. They cut the piece of pillar out and welded it in a aftermarket 57 Chevy body. Said it was to avoid reg. as a kit. I thought that was a no no.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. And of course, if they're ever called into question by the authorities, the powerful and fully trained eBay BMV/DMV vehicle registration legal department will be right there to defend your cause in court.

22. ...."If you have one still there and one missing AND you are in a state where for new registration of a vehicle with no remaining documentation it might be beat to have the mess verified by the inspector as original plate with one undisturbed original rivet. That would document it as an original plate that never went anywhere."

The above reply IMHO is the very best advice
    Having dealt with DMV inspectors before , believe me they do not like anything thats questionable..They will help as much as possible if you are honest with them...but try something sneaky and they can be real unpleasant..

Just my $0.02 worth on the subject

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a FELONY.

24. Terrible80

Terrible80

And they did it on film!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pimp My Ride got into trouble with the Feds because they removed an airbag from a steering wheel in a build.

People act like nobody is watching.

26. What show was it?

27. Terrible80

Terrible80