Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Chev deluxe - build log.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan272, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Thanks for the encouragement guys, Hopefully i'll have more big updates like this (and more frequent ones) in the new year :)

Yeah Tx51chevy, people have mentioned its like the 49/50, i guess we couldn't afford to ship the current dash across.

"Hey should we put a '52 dash in this '52 chev? You know, 'cos it would make sense..."
    "Well we have all of these '49/'50 dash's left over..."
    "You're right, what was i thinking!? Let's not make coupe's in australia either"
    "Wow! Genius!"

Merry Christmas!

2. robleticia

robleticia

Hey Ryan, just came across your build, glad to see another 4 door getting some love! I'm subscribbed and keep up the good work!
    Rob

3. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

hey rob, thanks very much! I've been keeping an eye on your thread also, fantastic stuff it's looking great, very motivating for me! haha.

So guys ive taken the front passenger door off and tomorrow ill be having a hunt around for my impact screwdriver to get those nun-tight screws holding the rear doors in place.
    ive got the next 3 days off work so hopefully ill have a shite-load of updates!
    Stay tuned! :)

4. DIRTY_WHITE_BOY

DIRTY_WHITE_BOY
    from Tennessee

This is a great thread!! Really enjoying watching the great work!! Gus

5. mojo273

mojo273
    Member Emeritus

How's it going Ryan? Any updates to share?

6. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Hey thanks Gus,
    and Charlie yes i do have some minor updates, sorry for the delay.

So those "3 days" I had off turned into half a day unfortunately due to work and other commitments and recently I've just been so busy with work and with Uni starting back again (blah blah blah)

I haven't made too much progress but i have tomorrow off work and rain hail or shine ill be getting some shit done.

I've taken the exhaust off and I've also been trying to get all of the sound deadener out from inside the boot lid and inside the doors.
    does anybody have a preferred method for this? Or do you think when i get it sandblasted they'll be able to get it all off? Because It's just like a big moisture trap and theres a bit of rust under there. Lucky it has such thick sheet metal.
    So if anybody could offer me some advice on this I'd be most appreciative.
    Also somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd need a "steering wheel puller"
    to remove the steering wheel? where do i get one? or how do they work, ie, would i be able to make something up myself to get it off?
    Thanks in advance, and updates will come guys :)

7. Hey Ryan

Still enjoying the updates, great to see some progress. Not sure you could make up a steering wheel puller, or why you would waste your time. You could could pick one up cheap on an online auction site that will remain nameless at the moment for a good price. May come in handy for other jobs too

8. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Hey, thanks chief.
    I actually asked my dad and it turns out he has one. So as soon as I get home I'll have a bash at getting it off!

9. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So I managed to get the steering wheel off and I also got some brightwork off the dash and the column shift out aswell.
    Ive also put up a photo of the inside of the bootlid, where you can just see some more sound deafened trapped in there. Anyone got any advice at all on how best to remove it? Maybe something to dissolve/break it down?
    All the progress I have at the moment as I have to go help my friend change the shocks in his jeep. Thank god for the iPhone app!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And i also just caught this little bastard redback spider in the boot of my commodore.

[​IMG]

10. Ahh the aussie redback, natures way of saying work faster!!

11. RDR

RDR

not sure if I'd destroy that sound deadner/insulation in the decklid (bootlid)...it is sandwiched in between the inner structure and outer skin...if you do get it out how will you get something back in there without removing the outer skin...BIG JOB....you might just trim out the openings and leave it where it's sandwiched tight...
    That was what the previous owner did on this fleetline project I just picked up

Attached Files:

12. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Haha chief, I recon ;)

RDR that is an interesting point!
    I'm just scared of moisture being trapped in there and rusting out my lid!
    Buy yes, good point you make.
    I'll have to decide what I'll do
    Hopefully more to show tomorrow guys as I have a day off :)

And goodluck with your project also!

13. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Wow, it's been a long time.

Unfortunately I've been pretty sick with glandular fever, but i'll be back to work etc this week and once i get my tax back I'll be shooting the rest of the car off to be sandblasted.
    I have a whole bunch of new enthusiasm after being bed/couch-ridden for weeks and weeks.

Stay tuned! :)

14. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Alrighty, it's been a while.
    So I'll cut the crap and start uploading some photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously the sills there have seen better days. Here's just some of the dirt that I blew out with the compressor:

[​IMG]

Managed to get the fuel tank out after having a quiet word to the bolts and introducing them to the angle grinder... (not me in the photo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next it was the bootlids turn to go, easily the simplest/hassle free thing to remove thus far:

[​IMG]

Now I've run into the issue of figuring out how to remove the arms that attach to the lid. On the drivers side (The right hand side if you're facing the car from behind, for all you crazy yanks used to LHD cars;) ) There was a bolt which i undid at the back and it released the tension on the spring but i still cant remove the arm or spring because there is still another rod through it at the front and neither side has a screw/bolt head on it :S do I just drill it out? is it pressed in somehow? Any advice would be awesome:
    The first photo shows the bolt/rod i cant remove, it's sort of in the middle to the left of the photo...
    And on the left hand side (which i stupidly didn't take a photo of) i have the same issue of headless bolts or studs being in there. I guess I'll just have to drill them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This also adds to some of my distraction whilst working away, gotta keep everyone happy...

[​IMG]

Whilst under the car I think I've discovered where my biggest hurdle will be:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's the passenger side of the car, and the drivers side is much the same unfortunately. But it's all part of the fun, I'll be buying a TIG in a couple of weeks i think once i get the car back from the sandblasters. My priority at the moment is to get it there and back before Christmas.

Also can anybody tell me how to remove the wooden mounting brackets for the rear seat? The piece on the far right has two screws in it from the underside but the longer piece running horizontally in the photo has two (what I can only describe as) 'studs' in it, with no screw heads or anything on them :S
    Should I just drill them out??

[​IMG]

15. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Righteoooo.
    So.
    Yesterday was a productive day.

28o and the sun was shining all day, awesome. So I got a mate over and we began...

We started by grabbing the vacuum cleaner and sucking up all the loose dirt and rusty flakes that were inside the boot, and wow, there was a lot of crap in there!
    I did the same for inside the cab as well, made a huge difference. From the amount of shit that was in the boot it has helped to confirm my hunch it was at one stage a paddock basher, but it must have been in storage since then as if there was any moisture in the boot the whole thing would have been rusted out for sure. Lucky.

We then removed both doors from the drivers side of the car and stripped them of their trim and so they're ready to go for the sandblasters.

Very easy sentence to write, but in reality those doors were held on pretty fckn tight! In the end I had to do the same as i did for the rear passenger door, which was get a screwdriver with a hex shape rod, put the head in the screw and then apply a large G-Clamp to hold the screwdriver in place. I then got a shifter and turned the screwdriver. Easy as pie. I didn't take a photo but Ill mock it up next time I'm in the garage to show you guys, something you may know, or maybe not...could be helpful...whatever.
    I also then vacced (vacuumed/"VACKED"?) the inside of the doors.

We then removed the last scuff plate/rocker panel cover from the back doorway and began to move to the front of the car.

Now it was time to tackle the steering column. Bare in mind we'd been under the sun all day so we were a little frazzled, so it took a while to remove, but we got there in the end.
    I can definitely say I wont be re-using that steering column! How anyone would restore a car without a collapsable steering column is beyond me! So I've put that aside and will probably end up selling or turfing it. If anyone wants it, send me a PM.

So that was basically our whole day! 7+ hours crammed into a couple of paragraphs!

My next line of attack is to remove the wooden supports for the rear seat, remove the engine and gearbox, unbolt the body from the chassis, remove brake/fuel lines etc THEN IT'S GOOD TO GO OFF TO THE SANDBLASTERS!

I'm also looking at buying a TIG welder in the next week or so, only going to need it to do sheetmetal etc on cars mainly and a bit of ally here and there. Anybody have any brand/type they swear by/recommend? I'm researching anyway but just thought someone might have something to say on the topic.

I'll upload progress photos later tonight!

16. Nice to see things moving along and that you are back on track,...

17. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Thanks, Chief! Hows your caddy going?

18. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Photos, as promised. Albeit a little late :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuel filter (badly) modified to act as a n overflow/dump pipe... Really? Some people?

19. billys54

billys54

20. No worries.

Slow unfortunately been too busy with work! The upshot of that is I now have the funds to kick on a bit. The car is pretty much totally stripped now and ready to go to the media blasters and the panel show for minor rust repair and repaint :) Hoping to get this sent off in the next week or so

21. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Thanks Billy :)

That's unlucky. I was/am in much the same boat myself. I'd much rather have the money and not the time, than the time but not the money haha.
    I also aim to have mine to the sandblasters within the next couple of weeks. Do you have a thread on yours? What colour are you going to paint it?

22. mattfink

mattfink

Pretty sure that thing you called a fuel filter is an oil breather and it's stock. Just looks like it's been repaired:)

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Its called a road draft tube I believe.

24. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Ahh interesting, I'll have to remove my foot from my mouth.
    It has a filter of some description inside it, but the weld for the "draft tube" (?) is a shocking champagne weld. Very poorly repaired if that's the case.

Thanks guys :)

25. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

A little update: Ive managed to organise an engine hoist from a friend for Thursday night/Friday so if the weather holds out I'll chucking in a full day to try get this beast ready for sandblasting. Woop.

26. ricktard

ricktard
    from spokane

27. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Thanks, mate :)

Managed to score tomorrow AND friday off, very excited.
    Also lined up to get the paint. I figure:

- matt black #604
    - hardener (4:1 apparently)
    - Reducer? (thinners?)
    - "ETCH PRO"

I'm thinking about 8 litres should do it? I hope? I've never painted a car before so I guess I'll see how i go when the time comes.

Called the sandblasters today and I should be right to drop the car off at the end of next week. So fingers crossed it all goes to plan!

More updates with photo's tomorrow :)

28. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Alllright.

So the weather was amazing on Thursday and not too bad yesterday either, and I got heaps done.

I began on thursday by jacking up the front of the car and getting underneath and removing fuel and brake lines.

Before I got to those, however, I had to scrape off half an acre of greasey dirt that had accumulated all over the chassis rails, crossmembers, and everything really.

So I removed the brake and fuel lines from the transmission crossmember and back and I also removed the handbrake mechanism.

I then set about removing the bolts securing the driveshaft to the transmission and also the bolts securing the tranny to the crossmember. I also then removed the yoke and the driveshaft from the transmission.

Next was the brake and clutch pedals and the clutch linkage, freeing it from the body.
    High-and low beam switch also came out, as well as the remaining trim and a couple of switches in the dash

Now, the engine.

I've removed a v8 from a car before, but never an inline 6, and stuffed if I know if this is how you're "'sposed to" do it, but it worked none-the-less haha.

I spent some time looking at and assesing valid mounting points to secure the chain to the engine but couldn't come up with anything that I felt would work/be strong enough.
    So I decided to sling a chain around the front 1/4 of the engine (threaded through the manifold and around the front hump of the sump) and as I was fresh out of another length of welded chain I got a tie-down strap and slung that around the back of the engine, in between the transmission and engine, to steady the back of it.

Once we were satisfied with that I started to jack it up but it kept getting caught on the engine mounts, so once it was high enough I removed the engine mounts and it finally gave up the booty.

about 15 minutes after all of that it began to rain, perfect timing really and a successful couple of days.
    It doesn't all translate well in writing, but as im sure you all know, things tend to take a lot longer than you think they will.
    I have some photo's to upload which I'll do a little later. Im a bit sick and a little out of it today haha, but I'll upload them soon and also anything else I forgot to mention.

Car is booked into the sandblasters for Monday week, so it's all hands on deck to get it ready! Woop!

29. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

[​IMG]
    Nice and dirty

[​IMG]
    Bit cleaner

[​IMG]
    Just some of the dirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Doesn't look too bad under there

[​IMG]
    I stupidly didnt even take a photo of it in the car, but you know how it is when you get caught up with what you're doing!

[​IMG]
    Last minute snap of it all packed up with the engine out

30. robleticia

robleticia

Ahhhh the rust...I hate it!!!!! Looking good, stay after it!