Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Chev deluxe - build log.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan272, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
    Still no real pictures to show you really i cant say ive done much of late, which is extremely frustrating - but theres not much i can do about it at the moment.
    Im hoping for some nice weather next week and i might take a day or two off work.
    Still saving my pennies though and the possibility of getting it sandblasted is drawing closer...

2. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

hey guys.
    some good news to report:

- THE CAR IS TOTALLY 100% PAID OFF AND MINE!!

not too bad for a 20 yr old uni student, i should upload a photo of my other car (as i now own 2) - you'll all probably hate it haha.
    anyway back to more interesting things:

Also went and checked out this blokes house who lives near a friend of mine in the country who has a '51 ute sitting in his front yard but unfortunately he wasn't home. i'll have to check back again soon. I'm hoping to get a few bits and bobs off him. Depending on if he wants to part it or even sell me the whole thing...
    while cruising around having a look at what other people had laying about their front yards we spotted this beast, maybe someone on here can shed some light onto the make/year etc? im thinking early 20's austin?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pretty awesome little beast. wish i had the room and money for it, shame to see it sit there and rust away...

anyways thats the news for now unfortunately. But since the car is paid off i can direct all my earnings towards the chev and with summer getting closer that means nice calm clear rain free nights and sun until 9:30pm!

3. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

D*mn you and your Southern-Hemispherical-Backwards-ness!!!! We're just about to head into the fart of a fall and straight into winter here in New Jersey verrrrrry shortly. God, I hate 6 months of gray, wet-ass cold :/

GREAT news to hear about the ride...post pics ASAFP! :)

4. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

haha mate we're just on our way out of it and i cannot wait!
    haha. Pictures "asafp" i promise ;)

5. fbama73

fbama73

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I think I know the answer. I'm 90% certain I am correct, and if anyone has further information, please share.

Styleline is a body style. Deluxe is a trim level. '52 Chevies could be Stylelines, Fleetlines, hardtops, or convertibles. I'm unsure as to whether the sport coupes and business coupes fell into the Styleline family or not, but I think they do.

Fleetlines are the "fastbacks" or "torpedo backs"- the roofline continues down the back in a smooth line to the rear bumper.

Stylelines are the sedans- rear window closer to vertical, top of the trunk nearly horizontal.

Bel Air trim level was for hardtops and convertibles only.

Deluxe was your higher trim level for stylelines and fleetlines- side spears, stainless around the windows, usually gravel guards on the front

Specials had minimal chrome- rear gravel guards, and beltline was about it.

Again, don't take that as gospel, but I'm about 90% certain that it's correct. If anyone can add further info or correct any mistake I made, please do.

6. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

ahh thanks for that - it would appear ive mis-titled my thread as deluxe then haha. but oh well...
    still saving my money guys, sand blasting is getting closer...

7. fat141

fat141

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ARMSTRONG SIDDLEY me thinks. Turn that cast piece 90 degrees to the right.
    Keep up the good work on that Chevie :cool:
    Going to Bright?
    Rod

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  8. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

ahhh awesome, just googled it. yep the cast piece is on the bumper - i didn't rotate the photo before uploading.
    makes me angry i cant afford to do that up as well.
    Most certainly am going to bright! unfortunately wont be able to drive the chev up so ill be in my un-hamb-but-p-plate-friendly commodore haha.
    what about you?

9. fat141

fat141

Red 41 Chevie P/u with newly restored (not quite finished yet) Sunliner caravan in tow.
    Hope we hook up.
    Rod

10. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

sounds good. i'm sure we'll bump into each other!

11. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

AHOY ALL.
    progress will be uploaded soon, I promise :)

12. Nice work Ryan enjoying the progress and the read. Waiting for my project to get here from the US and I can share the enjoyment and pain! Cant wait

13. fat141

fat141

What's on order Chief?
    Rod

14. Hey Rod,

'49 Caddy Club Coupe,... I am in love :)

15. fat141

fat141

Good luck mate

16. farmer12

farmer12

Good thread so far, looking forward to the progress pics!

17. Thanks Rod, will be happy when its off the bloody ship and in my workshop!

18. sun down

sun down
    from tx

looking good, also noticed that your dash is a lot different
    then our 51/52.........always thought it would just be the steering wheel on the right and ever thing else the same.. good luck with it..

Fred

19. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Hi guys,
    work has been insane lately. Too bad cars cost money or i wouldnt have to go :D

sun down, i think someone mentioned earlier in the thread about the Australian dash actually being from a '49 chevy when compared to the american one :S

So anyway, ive basically saved up enough money to get my car sandblasted! (media blasted)
    ill be heading into the shop during the week to check it all out and check availability etc (probably not this side of xmas unfortunately) but theres still plenty to do in the mean time.
    Ill also be purchasing my materials for my seats to do a tuck and roll job, as well as an engine hoist and gearbox so i can pull out my current engine and start mocking up the gearbox/engine while i wait for a spot at the sandblasters.

can anybody from Aus/Melb recommend a good place to buy seat/tuck and roll material from?

also ill be pulling off my brakes and taking em to work to sandblast them myself in the booth and get them ready to go.

so progress pics will be coming, a little later than promised; but all good things take time.
    I'm excited :)

20. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So I've arranged to go check out the sandblasters on wednesday and if all is well ill be able to book it in and have it back before xmas!
    heres some progress photos from what i did yesterday afternoon..

slowly getting there with the dash. it was about 32o yesterday and god knows how hot in the garage and in my heated frustration i couldn't figure out how to remove the steering wheel haha.
    Any advice?

[​IMG]

yesterday i basically removed almost everything connecting the engine through the firewall as you can see. Got some bloody stubborn screws holding the accelerator linkage that i'll have to drill out and then ill be looking at pulling the engine (with gearbox) out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also on saturday I went to a swap-meet in Whittlesea and saw some pretty rare/strange old cars which i thought id post:

austin delivery van.
    [​IMG]

It's a jenson something something haha.
    apparently 1 of about 146 ever made. top speed 130mph.
    showroom condition. pretty awesome to see. like a classier version of the E-type jag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all I've got at the moment. more to come by wednesday night hopefully :)

21. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So went and saw the sandblaster, i'll be getting him to sandblast a few panels before xmas, (bonnet, front guards, grill, inner guards) and he'll be selling me some primer and ill be prepping and priming them myself which will give me something to do over the break and also save me some money.
    Then when he gets back ill give him the doors/boot etc. and finally the body so he can do that and the chassis.
    It's all happenning, woop.

22. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

hey sorry Chief012, good luck with your build, let us know when you get it!
    and also Rod, sorry for not making it on the Sunday at Bright. I didn't end up coming back up as i had a masssssive night in melbourne haha.

23. mojo273

mojo273
    Member Emeritus

I'm subscribing to this thread.....
    Looks like a nice solid car to start with.
    A pulley puller (steering wheel puller) is what I used to take the steering
    wheel off of mine.

24. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Thanks mojo, I'll investigate that a bit further on monday when i have my next day off.
    I also dropped in to the sand blaster on wednesday and left him these goodies:

- Front fenders + inner guards
    - grill support
    - grill
    - bonnet

and ordered 4 litres of black primer. (only $50 for the tin, not bad?)
    Hopefully he should have it all ready early next week and some real progress can begin!
    :D

25. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So today was a busy day!
    I went and picked up my parts and primer from the sandblaster and took them to the factory to paint them.
    I set about laying out all of my parts:

[​IMG]

I then began a process of sanding/scuffing up one piece, taking it to the booth to spray one side:

[​IMG]

then while i waited for that to dry i began sanding the next piece to be sprayed.
    once i got a roll on it wasn't so bad and all up i think it took me about 4ish hours?
    I also used basically 4 litres of primer. i don't know if thats a lot or not, as i heard a whole car can be done with 8 litres? haha.
    oh well the parts are covered, and i'm happy with the result so thats all that matters.
    They didn't come out like total Swiss cheese either, a couple of spots will need repairing but for a 50 year old car i cant complain!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sandblasters is closed until basically the end of Jan but ive got plenty to do in the mean time, such as blasting some smaller pieces in the blast cabinet at work and also pull the engine/box etc and get it to the stage of a rolling chassis so that can also be blasted!
    can't wait :)

26. farmer12

farmer12

That's looking great. You're progressing well, keep up the good work!

27. fat141

fat141

Looking really good mate, stick with it .
    Merry Christmas
    Rod

28. Tx51chevy

Tx51chevy
    from Texas

I guess the dash on the cars in australia are different too? Yours is like the 49-50

29. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

I guess the dash on the cars in Australia are different too? Yours is like the 49-50

;)

30. sololobo

sololobo

You are getting after that baby big time. I love the 52 grille, it was the start of the toohthy ones and I love adding more teeth to this one, great look. Best wishes on the project. Thanx for sharing. ~sololobo~