Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 buick sumbraro style hub cap ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorodz, Jun 21, 2013.

1. lorodz

lorodz

Has anyone ever tryed to mate a 1952
    Buick hub cap to a 1950 ford wheel ? The ford wheel is like a standurd 15x7. The hub cap is kinda deep and needs to be mounted to a reverse style wheel. Because its kinda concave in the center. Anyone know the wheel lug pattern, and offset of the buick wheel these fit on ..thanks .
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if the Buick wheel cover will "stick" to the Ford wheel...it might.

But watch the clearance...I think the Ford hub on the rear sticks out pretty far. But it might be ok with a reversed wheel.

I know you can find the lug pattern and also probably the offset on the internet. Search "wheel cross reference" etc.

3. Buicks of that era use a 5x5" pattern wheel held on with lug bolts instead of nuts on studs. I saved a couple sets of those caps myself, but I'm not sure I'll ever use them.

4. lorodz

lorodz

I just bought a beautiful set..and I know they have been used In the past on custom cars, via the web, but unlike the caddy sombrero. The cap is concaved in the center hitting the center of the ford wheel ..I'm thinking if I can either pop the welds on the wheels and offset them some how, or find reverse wheels that will accept this cap.I only really need 2, the rear of my car has skirts, and you can't see the wheels anyway..help!

5. lorodz

lorodz

Btt

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

All GM cars of that era, except Chevrolet, used a 5" x 5 bolt pattern, so those wheels are not compatible with your Ford hubs as is. The Buick wheels themselves are unique in their exact shape and clip placement, compared to Pontiac or Olds wheels that are similar. Though a full wheel cover, they do not attach at the perimeter like most full covers, but use the same clips closer to the center that are used with Buick poverty caps.

The thing is, even if you have a wheel deep set enough so that the cap clears the wheel center and/or spindle, unless they are Buick wheels, there is nothing to hold the caps in place.

Your best bet to utilize the wheel covers may be to investigate the feasibility of redrilling your hubs for 5" bolt circle and use the Buick wheels that accept the covers as is. Buick wheels very in width from 5" to 6" to 6 1/2", depending on year and model. While it is true that Buick used wheel bolts vs studs and lug nuts, it matters not as they will work fine with studs and nuts.

Edit" IF you had a deep enough wheel, not A Buick wheel, perhaps you could attach the Buick covers to a trim ring that would keep them in place. I DO NOT think that is a great idea, as it would probably be conspicuous, but it may work.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  7. lorodz

lorodz

The caps I have do not have clips in the center, they actually do have clips on the outter part of the cap itself.I'm going to dismount a ford wheel and see if it is possible to gring the welds off and reposition the offset of the rim, than re weld them back on with the correct offset.dosent hurt to try on out. If it doesn't work they will go back uo for sale. They are to nice not to be used .

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Okay...........my mistake. I thought the Buick caps you have where the center clip type. A buddy of mine with a '38 Buick wanted to mount some early '50s Pontiac caps which are kinda similar to the Buicks you have.
    They are center clip type and I guess I got confused. Not making any excuses....just figuring out where I went wrong :)

In his case, the clips on the Buick wheel where the right diameter but too far away from the cap to attach. I made an adapter ring to correct for that and they worked fine.

In your case, I understand the wheel problem and , as you say, if you get sufficient offset, you can use the Buick caps as is. Sorry for the "red herring".

Ray

10. lorodz

lorodz

No problem, you were on the correct track. Its just the damn cap center is set so low the clips on the outter edge of the cap are about 2 to 3" away from the rims end were they would attach, if I can get the wheel apart, and move the offset, I think It would be successful. And they would look killer.I have done a wide search and I've looked high and low. I've never seen these caps on a ford ever, even in the little books nothing. Hope to be the 1st to run these.unless someone has a photo of these caps on a shoe box ford?

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You might look into some wheels that are sold for both cars and trailers, sometimes painted, sometimes chromed, but they have a more concave shape to the center of the wheel. They are very commonly 5 x 4.5" wheel pattern. The painted type are not very expensive.......eBay would be one place to look as well as trailer supply companies.

Ray

12. lorodz

lorodz

Really I didnt know trailer had the same lug pattern. ..I'm gonna chase them.down on the web now ....thanks for the idea ...