Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951 styleline heater core

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blaine Cox, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Blaine Cox

Blaine Cox

Hi all, I have performed a small block chevy engine swap on my 1951 styleline. I do not have the original heater core or case, and by looking at the engine bay i'm going to guess that the original would not fit regardless. I'm just looking for some confirmation that this is the case, and if so does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? The rest of the assembly is still on the interior of the car and I would like to use as much of it as possible. Thanks again.

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

IF you have the "heater core" that's located inside the passenger side "ducting", then the V-8 swap causes issues with clearance. But, if you go with the recirculating heater (the cheapy version), then everything is located on the firewall and inside the car. We had the recirculating heater in our 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe, and it worked fine after swapping to a 12 volt motor (6 volt was no longer working); but, the 6 volt motor will operate on 12 volts. I should have kept that car!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Butch nailed it. The pre-punched mounting holes are in the firewall. That version of the "economy" heater was used '49-'52. The warmer the climate, the easier to find. Guessing they weren't very common up there, but HAMBers from Texas/Arizona/New Mexico will have piles of them.