Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Pontiac Radio Restoration

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by PhilA, May 14, 2020.

1. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Being as I did the '33 Zenith, I'll post up what I'm doing with the radio set here.

The car has been converted to 12 Volts from 6; I decided to keep with that because finding 6V stuff is awkward when you're on the road and need a repair. I didn't want to run the radio through a dropper circuit, those are wasteful and get hot; down here I don't need 2 sources of heat in the car if the radio is on.

So, having purchased a 6V 1951 radio with the correct buttons and knobs to match the car's interior (deluxe), I bought a 1956 Buick radio, which is similar but natively 12V. Not similar enough to do a straight swap, but with enough parts inside common to make a sort of Frankenstein's Monster of a radio.

Phil

2. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20190327_155743.jpg
    This was the radio as I received it. It had been in damp-ish storage for many years.

20190327_160319.jpg
    The innards weren't too bad but one thing was a problem- the tuning coils were all out of alignment. Turned out that the pot-metal frame the coils sat in had zinc pest and was falling apart.

20190327_212515.jpg
    Cheap metal, damp climate. Lead impurity. The metal turns to the consistency of shortcrust pastry and quite literally falls apart after swelling up to about 115% its original size.

20190330_212158.jpg
    So, I cleaned the rest of it up and set about looking at eBay.

--Phil

3. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Enter a 1956 Buick Sonomatic!
    20190413_203228.jpg

Same kind of idea as the Pontiac radio but 12V. The usual electronic and chassis recycling going on.
    20190413_213410.jpg

The Sonomatic set did work (albeit half-way because one of the tubes was broken in the output stage) so that was a good start.

I got as far as gutting the transformer, removing the old electrolytic cap from inside and putting it into the chassis, along with the new vibrator base.

20190415_173901.jpg

Then I transferred the tuner frame to the 1951 chassis.
    20190417_171932.jpg

At that point we left town to go to New York state for a friend's wedding, I came back and started on the Zenith... and that's where it ended. Until now.

Ford52PU likes this.
  4. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200514_132040.jpg
    I figured out what was what and how it was internally wired and re-drew the power supply schematic as it needs to be.

Getting somewhere now. I need to order me some parts!

Phil

Ford52PU and Truck64 like this.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Radio restoration & repair is kind of fun. I did about 40 or 50, that I sniped off ePay or yard sales, showed up at my door, friends wanting to get Grandma's kitchen radio working again. The big wooden radio consoles are pretty cool too. Every one responded nicely to fresh electrolytic power supply capacitors, coupling and bypass capacitors, and maybe a few resistors. Then give it a good alignment. A lot like firing up an engine that hasn't ran in decades. I haven't messed with car radios.

Ford52PU and PhilA like this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

This is really impressive, but do you like the stuff on the airwaves today on AM?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only Rush! ! ! ! !

8. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Not all of it. So, this is gonna get a slight modification to allow me to switch the AM over to an external source. Also has the effect of making it significantly better quality audio. The limiting factor is the output transformer and loudspeaker.

Phil

9. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Really very similar with exception of shielded tubes and better filtering of the power supply.

10. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200515_152219.jpg
    Alrighty, hopefully the last revision of the circuit. Forgot that the power stage is not 6V6 tubes, so the correct pinouts and tube substitution are now noted.

Phil

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Right, but they are cramped! Not like the football field sized cavern of an old Zenith. The one exception is Philco, they used proprietary tar encased coupling and bypass capacitors. I don't like those. And wrapped their coils - oscillator, mixer, antenna, in cellophane. It turns to goo and dissolved the magnet wire. I rewound all three coils. It worked great when I was done, but if I would have charged the guy by the hours I had in it he would have choked.

There isn't much to listen to on the AM band during the day. At night, it gets pretty interesting. To me it's part of the deal. I have thousands of tunes available on my fricking phone. But I want an original AM radio in the dash to work as advertised, tubes and everything. It just has to. Gutting the innards and installing some POS is just dirty pool, there's no need to do that anymore.

PhilA, MUNDSTER and 302GMC like this.
  12. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Yeah, it's a bit of a squeeze but no worse than an old farm radio.

Agreed on the hours. I didn't charge my friend labor on the Zenith I just redid; it was $202 and change in parts. That's the bill he got. It was done for enjoyment on my part too, and as an ex-Marine he deserves that at least.

But on the stations front, there's a few flamethrowers that I can pick up around here during the day but AM as a nighttime band is good- I can pick up WSM here on a good night.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with a decent tube set (power consumption notwithstanding) because this one came from the pinnacle of AM radio just before FM started to get a foot in the door. Wartime radio development coupled with more modern component parts- but just before miniature tubes started to hit the market.

It's even got a halfway decent output transformer in it.

Phil

Truck64 likes this.
  13. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Got my bench set up, ready to go. Calibrated everything, got my RF and sig gen sets, VTVM et al.

Waiting on parts now.

Phil

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Truck64 likes this.
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I even like to use vintage solder - Kester. Get a whiff of that old timey rosin flux, it smells like maybe pine or something?

15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

We used to cram 20oz 6x9 Utahs into those. Sometimes we had to stand on the cases to get the screws started back in ! Of course, that was a long, long time ago, in $75 Buicks, Cads, & Olds ….

16. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Yeah, this stuff isn't quite as strong as the old reel I used to have. Know exactly what you mean, though!

Phil

17. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

It's still an option but I wanted to keep the feel of the original; the wait for it to warm up, the buzzing crackle as the B voltage starts to reach threshold of the tubes starting to work.

20200517_220921.jpg
    I started to pull solder joints apart last night. Started on the power supply side.
    I had previously repaired the vibrator socket, and the center pin tang decided to break off. Glad it did now and not in use; that would have been horrible to try and diagnose. Those sockets are difficult to find (3-pin). If it all goes south I'll get a 4-pin one because they're much more standard and available, and retrofit that. It originally had a 4-pin, the 3 came from the '56 set.

Phil

Truck64 likes this.
  18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What was the current draw on something like that, when working as advertised?

Are you converting the vibrator to solid state?

19. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

If I can't get that socket to work correctly, I likely will. The solid state ones work at a higher frequency and cause a higher-pitch whine than the mechanical ones so need additional filtering. However, the 12V vibrator I have works well so I was going to try use it.

The current draw is 3.8 Amps at 12V. The set is rated at about 45 Watts. The Buick set is about 40 Watts, it has one less tube.

--Phil

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

4 amps? Jeeze, doubles as a Hot Pocket warmer on road trips. What did the 6 volt version draw I wonder.

21. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Riders says 7.1 amps for the 6V version.

Truck64 likes this.
  22. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200518_171702.jpg
    The tang for the ground lug decided to break off, so I split the 2 phenolic pieces apart, made a new lug from a fork connector and soldered that down to the chassis with a gas torch to get good adhesion. From there, I put the broken piece in place and used a smaller heat source to solder it after bending it down to line up.

20200518_173233.jpg
    Supported from behind as it's pushed in, the vibrator connects nicely. It's supported once it's in on the other side by a 6-finger spring clip.

I connected it up and put a 9v square battery on the input. The output pegged my meter set to 1500 VAC. (No capacitors in the circuit yet).

Bueno.

Phil

23. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Dissecting the volume and tone controls tonight led to an interesting discovery; the volume potentiometer is 25/75% tapped and that means there can be different capacitance on one side of the scale to the other.

Net result? Linear tone alteration- the lower the volume, the more bass and treble you get. Accounts for the speaker and hearing characteristics- it's got automatic loudness compensation.

That's pretty sharp for a car radio.

Spent the rest of the time re-familiarizing myself with the circuit and schematic. I think this should be a fun (and hopefully satisfying) rebuild.
    One thing I didn't do was check the output transformer for continuity. Tomorrow. I do have a working spare, somewhere.

Phil

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Truck64 likes this.
  24. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Took a moment at lunch, and I do have continuity across the output transformer so that's good.

Phil

25. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200520_110254.jpg
    Making quite a collection. Got a couple more on the way; the rest of the components also.

Phil

26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It's Friday, we haven't had an update since Wednesday.

This is Bull$@t. C'mon man!!

27. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

1914AutocarTruck.jpg

Waiting on these guys!

Truck64 likes this.
  28. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200522_110701.jpg
    14C5 power output tubes arrived.

The parts that I need to be able to start on the radio are still in New Orleans and won't be here until at least tomorrow.

Phil

29. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200523_150048.jpg
    High tension power supply rebuilt and tested.

20200523_154209.jpg
    A half dead 9V battery gives us a half-way decent B+ of about 140VDC (meter showing about 90 there).

So far so good

Phil

302GMC and Truck64 like this.
  30. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200523_224106.jpg
    Volume and tone control.

Phil

Surfcityrocker and Truck64 like this.