Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951 Mercury removing body from frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deanmerc, Nov 5, 2017.

1. deanmerc

deanmerc

Greetings everyone!

I'm removing the body from the frame on my '51 Mercury coupe. I have the car body supported on blocks with jack stands. The frame is supported with jacks front and rear. The entire car is about 28" off the ground. The engine & front fenders have been removed and the interior is empty. I removed all the body mount bolts, removed both rear shocks, removed the metal plate on the firewall behind the clutch and brake pedals.

Would anyone please be so kind as to explain how to remove the emergency brake cable? It appears that when I lower the jacks (thus lowering the frame), the e-brake cable will still be attached to the frame. ALSO, how do I remove the steering column?

I attached some pics of the e-brake and underside cables. It shouldn't be that hard, but I've never done this before. Thanks in advance for any help!

Gabe in Margate, Florida

Attached Files:

2. HI. You need to remove E-barke handle assy. Disconnect the 2 bolts under dash and the 2 bolts on bottom. Bottom of E-brake assy has a round roller that the cable rides. Remove it by dissconnecting cotter key and push pin out. You will have cable slack, cable will have a small round ball inside Ebrake shaft. Just pull out. Done..

3. E-brake cable is attached to firewall with small clip. Just pry out with pliers. That will disconnect from firewall.

4. desotot

desotot

remove the steering wheel, shift arm and signal light arm, separate the pitman arm from the drag link, remove the small panels from around the column , unbolt the steering box from the frame and drop it out the bottom. Make sure your car is adequately high of the ground.

5. deanmerc

deanmerc

Thank you for replying! Very much appreciated.

6. deanmerc

deanmerc

Thank you very much!!