Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951 Mercury Monterey 4 wheel disc brake conversion, wheel options??

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Calgary51merc, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Calgary51merc

Calgary51merc

Hi Guys,

We are in the middle of a 51 merc build, we did 4 wheel disc brake conversion we purchased from Jamco suspension in the states.

The issue we're having now is the factory rear wheels wont clear the calipers, the concave of the rim rubs against the caliper and we're having a hard time trying to find a wheel that will fit and also allow us to have the rear over fender installed.

We have tried using wheel spacers for the stock 15x6 wheels but it would require at least a 2-2.5" spacer.

Just wondering what everyone else has done for wheel options??
    If you guys have any advise in regards to this conversion??

2. Calgary51merc

Calgary51merc

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last time I did this I think that the solution for an OEM style wheel was a first-generation F-150 pickup wheel, circa 1977-ish.

Those can be had at 15" x 6". They are available as reproductions for under $100USD/ea., or used.

bobss396, 1-SHOT and anthony myrick like this.
  4. Removed my discs and reinstalled the drums.
    But 73ish up f100 wheels were designed to clear “outer actuated brakes”

Ltorch, Moriarity and rusty valley like this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the Ford part number: E7TZ1015C

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some vague memory of looking at those reminds me that they were 15" x 5" until a little later.

7. My 67 had 5 or 5.5 wide the later ones are 6 (I think)
    I have some laying somewhere.

8. Calgary51merc

Calgary51merc

Thats crossed our mind a couple times lol- but we've spent so much time routing the brake lines and the mounts for the park brake cable. we're too far into it to go back now LOL

9. Calgary51merc

Calgary51merc

Has anyone had luck finding an American racing style wheel with 4 wheel dicscs?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5.5 should be close enough to swap for a 6.

anthony myrick likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you mean Torque Thrust style wheels, the "D" version has a cutout in the back of the spokes for caliper clearance.

12. Calgary51merc

Calgary51merc

Those are the ones!

Could you show me a link, everything on their website is showing me an 83mm bore size, I need an 87mm

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No link. Torque Thrust D wheels are vintage wheels. They have a slightly different spoke than the original Torque Thrust wheels.

The modern Torque Thrust wheels fit discs, but they even yet still differ in appearance from the first two that I mentioned. Also, I am not sure that they have a 15" x 6". I am pretty sure that they start at 15" x 7".

14. junkman8888

junkman8888

One option is keep the wheel centers (so you can use the original hub caps) but swap out the wheel hoops. Ford pickup/van wheels in the late 60's-70's had hoops made to clear the disk brake caliper, on earlier disk brake wheels the center was riveted to the hoop, later disk brake wheels were welded. On the wheels I have the hoops are 5-1/2 to 6" wide. (Hoop hole is 12-5/8" across)

bobss396 likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take time to find steel wheels that you can mount full size hubcaps on - or, steel chrome wheels - mags don't enhance the look of a Merc