Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Mercury find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Feb 18, 2013.

1. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Attached are pictures of a 1951 Mercury I recently purchased, I had asked some questions on the board about 51 Mercury's and been asked to post some pictures so rather than PM them I decided to go ahead and post them here.
    The car is not a barn find since it was going to go up for sale on e-bay but the story behind it really interested me and while I think I got a fair deal it was not a bargain. The man that owned the car had bought it from his brother's estate approximately 20 years ago with the idea of restoring it back to what his brother had done (his brother had owned it approx. 10 years and had done the original customizing) but the current owner never was able to get started on the car and has reached an age where he didn't think he would ever be able to finish it so decided to sell it. The car is in rough shape but repairable, my current plans are to get it stripped and then replace the floors, rocker arms, etc. I've been told the flathead does run so I'm going to tear it down and see what condition it is in, if it is good I'd like to use it just because I've always wanted a flathead. Once that is done (and I'm VERY slow at getting things done) I'll decide what to do about chopping the top etc. I really like the looks of a chopped Mercury but there are so many out there and I hate copying what everyone else is doing yet don't have any better ideas so I might just put it back like it was minus the visor!
    Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

2. Nothing wrong with a uncut Mercury,,I like them with a stock look. HRP

3. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

4. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Great find. Chopped or unchopped a merc is still a fine automobile.

5. I'd do her like the PO was going to, fix it up like it used to be. Its got a good look.

6. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Nice find.Not all merc's have to be chopped ro look good.

7. do the floors etc , throw a wiring harness in it and just drive it as a survivor ! cool looking merc .

8. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The Mid Century Merc coupes were the cats meow back in the 50s. Most guys that were interested in cars wanted one. They have always been popular either lowered or not. I prefer standard myself. The lid was already pretty low compared to some cars of the era. They would get up and cruise pretty well with the Borg Warner electric overdrive.

I've seen that car advertised several times. It's good it found a new home with an interested owner. If you haven't already seen the "Mercury Parts List" thread, you should look it up. A lot of good parts sources there. That looks like a Merc-O-Matic car. You can change them to a C4 pretty easy if you want to keep an automatic.

Sun visors just rattle and slow you down.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  9. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool car... looks good. I like that it's a custom, but retains the front hood emblem. I don't see that much, and I was planning to do that too. I also noticed the merc-o-matic column. You'll get differing opinions on how well a merc-o-matic works. I've got one too, and I'll give it a try for a year or two. Any idea what the knob on the dash between the radio and glove box is for? There's a link to the Mercury Parts List in my signature.

10. I think I would get it cleaned up, repair whats necessary, get it running and have a little fun with it then decide which way to go.

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

12. CruZer

CruZer

Actually, around the northeast in the 50's-60's the early Mercs were almost all un chopped.
    They were daily drivers for young guys who couldn't afford to have them off the road for any length of time,yet wanted them to look cool.

13. Great find....I would clean it up may-be repaint the top as it looks to have some issues, get it running and drive the shit out of it while I make up my mind what I want to do to it.

14. JAMES DEAN

JAMES DEAN

wide34 awsome find

15. eightbanger

eightbanger

Love pics like this! Awesome find.

16. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

I remember that car. It used to live here. The flathead should still run, cause I saw it on the road in 91-or 92. Unless its locked up now. I remember the orig. owner.(brother and his son) Nice score anyway, and good luck.

17. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for the comments, I was 10 or 11 and living in a small mid-west town when a young man returned from the Navy and built a 1932 Ford coupe and then a 1949 Mercury that was chopped and painted black with flames- I don't know what engine he had in it but I have always thought they were the 2 coolest cars I had ever seen so when I had a chance to get this one and knew the history I had to try and get it!

The knob runs to the choke and is labeled choke but I have no idea if it was original or not.

The car did come from near St. Joe, I'm going to PM you and hope you know more of the history. Thanks for letting me know you had seen it.

18. lawman

lawman

Nice old ride !!!!

19. low merc51

low merc51

Good for you ,, merc fever is a very dangerous sickness I caught it 30 years ago and there is no cure !!!!!

20. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

There is a (patch) not a cure...Looks like you have one.

21. zjerry

zjerry

Nice Merc..Don't look too bad..

22. jfrolka

jfrolka

You lucky dog.

They do look absolutely beautiful when chopped.

The flatheads are fun, a bit slow... Fits the lead sled montra tho.

I once had a 51 coupe. Stripped it, fixed the rust, then went straight into the chop. Never finished the chop 100%. I sure do miss that car. I slammed mine on springs, overdrive 3 speed, ford 8 rear end, old offenhauser trans adapter to accept a 283 Chevy.

Good luck with your merc. They sure do grow on ya after awhile.

Crazy bout a mercury

23. jfrolka

jfrolka

There was a dropped unchopped 51 coupe in the classifieds here. It was a beaut. I think it got traded for a deuce. Try searching for it. The dove grayish paint really looked great.

24. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Wheeeeeers's BAD-BOB? FlamedAbone, Charlie.?????

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  25. Ha!

26. Butch11443

Butch11443

Had a 51. Was mint. Replaced the flattie with a 56 Nailhead. Made a fairly quick car for 1963.
    Butch

27. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Cool merc, I seen it listed somewhere awhile back also. Keep us posted on the progress..As far as visors, i'm not a big fan, but this merc i saw the other day, is cool as hell visor and all!!

Attached Files:

28. Ltorch

Ltorch

Yeah that merc been for sale for a while,Now maybe it will see the road again..Lots of luck with it.

29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, I remember that car well... My buddy Blakmerc and I used to oogle over it many years ago. The car was kind of a local legend and was owned by a local barber.

That poor little car has the same dust on it as when I first saw it in the 90s. I hope you can give her some love and get her on the street where she belongs.

Good luck, -Abone.

30. I'm always jealous when someone finds a Merc that's been sitting...UNCHOPPED! One of these days i'll come across one. I would just get it running and fix what it needs,and leave the rest alone. Just my opinion.
    I'll add you to the Merc Club roster when I get a minute. Congrates.....