Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Mercury Coupe We're Working On Returns.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldtimerodder72, May 17, 2009.

1. Unbelievable. I don't think there is a single picture here that doesn't have something for me to learn in it. Thanks for sharing your vision, detail and skill!!

2. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

3. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

wow thats cool! do they make those lenses with the extra ribs now or u have to cut two up to make one?

4. No, you have to cut up 2 lenses to make one.

5. mikes51

mikes51

Looks fantastic. I noticed you have extended the downward dip of the fadeway back to the bumper. That should look good.

Are you planning to weld the front gravel pan to the front fenders eventually? That seems to be the only seam visible on the whole car.

6. Hey Mike,
    No we're not going to weld on the gravel pan. It would make the front end too unwieldy. It's going to be bad enough having the fenders welded to the grille surround.

7. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. knotheads

knotheads

beautiful metal work!

9. TraderJack

TraderJack

Well, it is good to see a body man not afraid of lead! Beautiful work and much to be admired in it!

traderjack

10. sledish

sledish

11. Im breathless. This car is becoming an important part of the kustom history.
    Many thanks to you for creating it.

12. I'd be real disappointed if it didn't make it into The Rodders Journal

13. crash 51

crash 51
    from FTW,TEXAS

This is the nicest work i've seen in a while... ya gotta love customs!

14. Rikster

Rikster

Exactly... only thing I want to add is.. thank you for taking all the photos of the process and sharing them... VERY inspiring!

15. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

What flux are you using with your solder today, liquid or paste?

great attention to detail!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

16. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yeah Im so inspired I just took the German Shepard next door for a walk and let it piss on my front fender. lol

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  17. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

whoa!! great work!

18. The car looks great, thanks for taking the time to snap all the pics. I like the level of detail you are taking with the front grille and the taillights.

19. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whhooaaa!!

How did I miss this post? I guess my priorities were messed up. I love your new idea
    with the parking lights and Exhaust outlet to match. Very KOOL!!! Can’t wait to watch
    your progress.

20. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

Very impressive, Totally dig those tail light lenses!

21. Ok folks, I know in my last post I mentioned I wouldn't be posting again for a while. I had the opportunity to head up to Keith's today to put the car outside and take some photos. Lucky for me it was a day of low humidity. Even better for Keith as he wouldn't have to sand all the surface rust off the car after being outside. When shooting these images I use two different cameras. I tend to take multiple shots from the same angles in case some don't turn out. I have had a few complaints about the multiple images, however most have said post all I have. That being said, I present to you the first pictures of the car outdoors since last Fall. I am going to let the pictures speak for themselves, no need for endless commentary. Please enjoy the images.

Oh yeah.... I know the grille is off kilter and not perfectly straight. We have not yet finished making adjustments to the pieces or the grille position in the car itself. I would appreciate not being told the grille is out of alignment. No need to state the obvious. It will all be perfect on the finished product.

This first group of pictures was taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. This final set was taken with a Canon PowerShot G10. Hope you enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. thanks for all the great response,I knew when Jason aproched me with this project ,we were going to make a mark that would leave a scar [knowing how anal he is about quality] but I never expected this kind of reaction from my peers.UNF###INGBELIEVABLE. As for the flux i use,Eastwoods tinning butter works best for me . Just remember to clean it well after with baking soda and water [to neutralize acid ,hence the rust stains in the pictures around the solder]Thanks again for all the encouragement,. Keith.

24. Hey Jason, what took you so long to post the latest pics,cant you see these guys are hungry?!!! LOL. K.;)

25. Flatattack

Flatattack

Great photos of a truly breathtaking masterpiece.

Unless I'm blind, has a potential color, interior and wheel/tyre combo been mentioned yet or is it top secret??

26. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

thats some good shit right there.

27. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Absolutely beautiful.................

28. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thank you so much for sharing this amazing build with us! Truly the most amazing finishing work AND design i have ever seen! Im watching and learning!!:)

Is the car for a customer or you personal custom?? Somebody's gotta FAT wallet!!!!:D

Thanx again and outstanding work!!

Ian

29. Ian,
    The car is a joint project between my company, JDH Rod & Custom and Keith's company, Keith Sim Metalcraft. JDH builds period correct hot rods and customs from the 1940s to 1950s. We have too many jobs going at present. Because we are so busy, and do to the fact of Keith's exquisite work, I made the decision to send my personal car to him. JDH will be looking after all the engine/transmission/rear end building, the wiring and assembly of the car, along with overseeing the paint and interior work.

Also, it should be mentioned the car is being built to my specifications. I am the planner and organizer. I am responsible for about 98% of the direction of this build. The remaining 2% is Keith's input. This is not to take away from Keith's ideas, as he has suggested some of the most visually impacting touches.

30. Hey Flat,
    Yes the color, interior color and layout, material selection, and wheel/tire combination has been figured out. I will give everyone insight to these aspects as we get closer to finishing the project. For the time being I am going to keep my cards close to my chest. I have been known to make changes at the last minute.