Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 mercury build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john51mer, Mar 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gonmad

gonmad

Awesome!! Glad that is what you chose!! It was "your deal", but you definitely made the best choice!

2. Yea I feel better about this set-up and like the look as well. I also have been in contact with Sean at Fatlucys about doing the interior. Hope all goes well with it. We hope to have the metal work completed this month (fingers crossed). I can not wait to see this thing in prime. The metal work on this car has drawn out to long, but it is done right and not hacked like the PO did.

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Glad to hear your choice on the wheels and caps. '56 Caddy caps are 'crazy man, crazy'!

Should be a nice car what you're done, can't wait to see :)

4. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Glad to see you got back on the right track...the chop fix looks fantastic now and Matt did an outstanding job on the rear bumper and tail lights...I don't know how he does those lenses...he's a damn magician with those...and now a Merc head? Quit showing off, Matt! :) jk

5. soon enough john... you'll be cruisin!!

6. got the rims for the front delivered. Aset of 56 caddy (15x6) wheels and they were hard to find let me tell ya. I also ordered a pair for the rear (15x8) with a different offset so they would clear the skirts and not rub. WWW.RALLYAMERICA.COM hooked me up. Next up is the rubber. I decided to go radials on this car for a good ride, but I see I have to <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->sacrifice the WWW height, but I found some with 3in WW and should still look good.

Attached Files:

7. well got a few more pictures of the dash. Larry has also started to fab up the engine bay. So I added a few pictures of it as well.

Attached Files:

8. natoinc

natoinc

Man that looks awesome. Your going to have one BAAAAAAD ride when Larry and the crew get finished. Makes me wanna go out and start on mine.

9. Looks great. New inner fenders look bitchin.

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to stop by Larry's shop and check this out in person.

11. yea man feel free to stop by there. I will be in town next month to see it as well. So I will be posting more pictures. Let me know what you think about it. I think it has come a very long way from the pile of crap it was.

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

looking pretty snazzy john!!

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, I stopped by Larry's today. He is doing a nice job on your car. I am sure it will look great when he is done. He also has a nice variety of other projects in his shop. I especially liked the Chopped Ford Pickup. That one is going to be sick! Good luck with your build!

14. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

all i can say is that this is a kick ass build!!! love all the details!

15. Rockable thanks for stopping by. Yea I am glad we are making headway on it. I am in Afghanistan and get to go home in 20 days, and I get to see the work. I am really excited.

Scrappin Bottom thanks for all the kind words. This build has been going on for a while and can not wait to at least see it in primer.

16. Well I am on vacation and I got to so see the car. I am very pleased with the work and the outcome of it. I meet LEADSELD up there and he got to see it too. I have attached the new pictures of the engine bay first. Larry made pockets for the hinges to set in. I will also be posting the bumper and the dash pictures too. Thanks Matt for the work n the bumper it looks very good on the car, and the lights are going to be killer on it as well.

Attached Files:

17. The dash looks real good in the car. Still finishing up on the wrap arounds on the doors. Also here is the picture of the rear bumper

Attached Files:

18. well the quartes are getting completed as well. Larry and Chris extended the rear lower quarters enough to flow into the rear bumper. You can not see it but they also made a filler on the leading edge on the front of the bumper

Attached Files:

19. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Looks real good John!

20. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

These pictures do not do the car justice! I met John to check out the additional work being done. Check out the louvers on the lower inner fenders, very shuttle! The shop owner Larry Shoaf, is a very nice, truly humble man with a great pair of hands! This will be a ride to remember!

21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree on both points. I went by not too long ago to check out the car and meet Larry. When I asked if he was Larry Shoaf he replied, "I'm what's left of him!". :D. Very nice guy doing very nice work.

How did you like that truck?

22. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Wow and the fact that is steel blew me away! I love the fender work and the hood!

23. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

24. got some more pictures of the progress. I got the word that the car will be going to prime next month. Oh yea baby

Attached Files:

25. 50merckid

50merckid

John your car is looking great! What Tires are you going with? I need new WW for my car also. My son is also in Afganistan with the 211th. Stay safe over there and thanks for what you do for all of us still at home.

26. I am going to run the steel wheels with 56 caddy caps. I like the deeper caps. I plan on running www on the wheels. I am getting them from diamond back.

27. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Dang John, I think you got most of us on the edge of our seats. Looking great. Can't wait to see some color on that thing.

28. Hell I am going to be estactic when this car is in the prime stage, because I know what comes next. OHHHHHHH YEA BABY.
    I just got off the phone with Larry and they now have all 4 corners of the trunk rounded and the back of the car if fitted to the bumper. only thing left is the door latches and splash shields in the inner fenders. Come on end of the month.

My company has now moved me out of Afghanistan and now I am working in Kuwait. Hope to be here till the car is complete. I am very excited this car is moving along so quickly now. I hope to be going on vacation in Sept and going to see the car. It should be about ready for the paint and frame near done by then.

I just hope everybody is enjoying this build as much as I am. Thanks for all the kind words from all of you.

29. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Wow he is moving quickly! I have ride up there again! Watching the build gets me motivated!

30. Yea me to John. I am surprise at how fast it is going now. I get to come in Sept and can not wait to see the results.