Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 mercury build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john51mer, Mar 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. well wheel tubes are in now the new quarters and trunk pan is going in. Yea I am so ready for this to be done. God give me strength I am so ready to see this thing in primer at least.

Attached Files:

2. I asked fellow hamber (slddnmatt) to design me some lights for the 54 merk bumper to put it on the 51. I like it alot and sure he will do a hell of a good job. Here is the start to the work he is doing.

Attached Files:

3. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I like that, looks like it will blend well.

4. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

slddnmatt will do you right!

5. Does anybody know where I can find the cluster Assembly for a 1955 Mercury dash?

6. Here is some more bumper work. I thought I posted these already but they are not on here. Matt is doing a hell of a job on it

Attached Files:

7. working on tranny tunnel and added stiffners to the wheel tubs and package tray. You won't see them but they are cool. We are going to cut the firewall out this week and get all the hacked up shit out of here. I also got a 50 rear window going in the car when we start on repairing the roof. We are finally fitting the motor and tranny in this thing. I know it is permature but I am getting excited.

Attached Files:

8. got some more work done. They got the tunnel fabed up and going in.

Attached Files:

9. got some more work done to the mercury. Trunk is going in and tanny tunnel is welded up. Now the firewall is missing. Had to make a new support for the rear trunk area it was bent and had the car warped in the rear.

Attached Files:

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I was right there with you John until you said your choice of wheels. Even though you see the same hubcap choices time and again on those cars I have never seen one yet that looked "right" with mag or billet wheels. Maybe if you had a set of custom billet wheels that looked like Caddy Sombreros or that looked more like a hubcap than a wheel they would pass but leave being "original" to other parts of the car and stay with tradition on the wheels and tire selections.

The guy who bought and redid my old 51 Coupe did a fantastic job on the car but made two mistakes in my eyes. He painted the bumpers (to be original) an put mag wheels and black walls on it. Both things really kill the look of an otherwise beautiful car that has had an extreme amount of work and money poured into it.

11. I am not gonna lie, I like the wheels on the Wasabi Merc, I saw it in person at SEMA a few years back:

[​IMG]

12. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

PSJ: Did you just say that out loud? Run for cover :) What happened
    To the Stude hub caps?

13. YEA this car just sold for 330K at the barrett jackson auction. I like the car too, and those are colorado custom wheels. I am probably not going to run the Boyd Coddington billets because they have strung me along on the wheels. They told me 3-4 weeks and now it has been 14 weeks so I have asked for my money back and I am going to order wheels from EXK. Even if they send me the wheels and I don't get my money back. I WILL NO RUN THEM ON THIS CAR. I think a business should stand by there word and to me they did not so I won't put them on this car.

14. well We got the trunk pan in and Jim is really kicking ass on this thing now. I am getting really excited to see this car come together.

Attached Files:

15. Gordo's Catfish

Gordo's Catfish
    from So Cal

Terrific start, you are doing a good, not only for your ride, but for all aficionados! After all, we don't really own our rides, we merely preserve them, for future lucky......"owners".(ehemm!)

16. Gordo's Catfish

Gordo's Catfish
    from So Cal

Build it Bro, your way!

17. fitzee

fitzee

This is coming along nicely. Like the metal work.Keep up the good work

18. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

That shop is doing some nice looking metal work. You got one sweet looking Merc in the works!

19. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

John
    Between these guys at Eastern R&C and slddnmatt, you have chosen two excellent builders! Just dont do anything crazy and your Mercs will be sweet.

20. Thanks now just trying to find some good idea for the engine bay sheetmetal. I know both builders are doing a great job, and I can not wait to see it in person. I have not seen it in over a year so getting excited only 39 more days.

21. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Wow a whole year! That's one of the best trunk adaptations to a Morrison frame that I have seen. They really maximized the utility of the trunk.

22. yea the tubs are stick out further than orginal so we have to see what we can do with wrapping a rear seat in there. I would like to find a tbird seat and see if it will fit with the tubbs. Hey I am going to ak about pulling the bumpers off and sending them to you. I will let you know in a couple days.

23. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Cool, thanks John. Hopefully our Mercs can meet some day!

24. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Just a quick and simple question for the OP. If you have been around the block a few times and have been at it since you could pass a wrench to your pop, why aren't you building it?

Don't get your panties in a god damn wad either, just a simple question that you haven't addressed yet.

25. hey no problem I don't mind. I am currently working in Afghanistan and unable to do this build. I feel that since I am working over here that I deserve something nice when I come home, and that is why. However when I do come home I am planning on building me another one that I can say I built. I hope I answered your question and no it did not get my drawers in a wad. lol

26. Hey John your merc is realy moving along nicely. Your builder has done a good job on fitting the rear seat & trunk pans to fit your morrison frame with out loseing to much seat and trunk space. Looking at your tubs i think the t-bird seat will fit as they have a fairly big curve at the ends.

27. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I have seen this work in person, it is even better in standing underneath it an up close and just inches away! The guy has a great pair of hands and a great attitude, I hope to stop by again next week.
    This is going to be a great ride!

28. here is some more work on the 51. They have gotten the floors in prime and working on the firewall. They have the toe boards in and getting ready to bead roll the firewall and then weld it in. Go Jim Go!!!! next is the quarter panle extension and new quarters and then to fix the roof.

Matt has also gotten some work done on the bumper and lights. Check out his fab work got to love it!!!

Attached Files:

29. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Looks great John. You going with deleted tailights or 54 merc?

30. I saw your bumper at Matt's last night,and it looks great! Not gonna see another one like it!!!