Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 mercury build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john51mer, Mar 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. I am having a 51 merk built by Eastern Rod and Customs, and I will be posting pictures of it throughout the build. I bought this car sight unseen. I was here so unable to look at it. I like the cars stance so what the hell. Well..Long and behold the cars was a piece of shit. It had over 3in of bondo in some spots, and a whole lot of butcher welding going on. I think somebody tried to learn to weld with this car, but life goes on. Right<O:p</O:p
    I purchased the car and had it moved to a nearby shop (A FEW HOURS FROM THE HOUSE). After its arrival we decide to blast it to get a fresh start. Oh Wow what surprises laid in store for us. See pics<O:p</O:p
    While all this was going on we decide to check out the frame. Did I say oh wow AGAIN? Well it was sturdy enough to hold the car, and it was built 1.5 out of square, and yes I know what u are thinking. The car is out of square too! So I had to make some money to buy all the needed item to continue hence while I am still here in this shit hole we call Aghanistan.<ST1:p</ST1:p I had Art Morrison build me a custom frame $$$$ well spent. See pics<O:p</O:p
    Now that the frame is taken care of, the body is next to be fixed. This is where we are at now. They are replacing the rockers, floor pans, wheel wells and trunk pan. They have also started on the front end but that is a later project. Haha oh my… I am glad I am here because I would like to go see the guy I bought it from and have a good chat with him.<O:p</O:p
    Well look at the pictures and follow along as we build this baby. <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    I will need to run a few ideas through everybody when the time comes but lets get to building my dream car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

2. sololobo

sololobo

Goin to buy me a Mercury, cruz it up and down the road!! Good Luck on the Merc brother. ~sololobo~

3. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

One of my favorate cars on my bucket list. Be safe over there.

4. Worthwhile project for sure. The chassis choice should minimize future headaches, and get you on the straight and narrow. On these old cars, a lot of them (especially the popular ones, like this), have been transformed, wrecked, shotty repairs done, etc., so, hard telling if the person you bought the car from, was completley in "the know" of its past repairs..part of the experience. Keep us posted on your progress. Thanks for what you do, return safely.

5. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I love Merc's too. Keep us posted.

6. You know I have to post pictures of the motor. It is typical 350 with 385 hp, but it does have a 3 deuce setup and a mag. the pictures show it with a cheezy pair of valve covers but I have a new pair waiting to be installed. I know fellow it is to much polished shit on it but hell you only live once. Plus I have 2 more merks and one is going to be built in the primer rockabilly style. I love that look too<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. Looks great. What kinda look will the Merc have?

My car came from SC, Camden. It was red with yellow flames.

8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard from a fellow Merc brutha.. Nothing like building and driving a Kustom
    Merc around town. Don't let anyone fool ya, everything hasn't been done to a Merc.
    Did I see on another post that you wanted to put a 55 Merc dash in your project? Very
    kool idea, I was going to do that but I picked out a 53 Merc dash. You didn't ask my opinion,
    but your going to get that around here, I think that the '55 would look kool.

Good luck and keep us posted with the progress.

Happy Trails, Mick

9. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Good luck with your Merc build. That Art Morrison chassis is nice. SlddnMatt built me a custom chassis using a stock 51 Mercury chassis. You going to chop it, or leave it stock?

10. Yea I posted that before I made this thread. i just bought a dash shell and it is getting ready to be fitted into the dash. I like the 49-51 dash but I have not seen any with a 55-56 dash in them so I thought I would be a litle different. Has anybody seen one in a 49-51 merk?

11. hvychvy

hvychvy

Lookin great,keep us posted!!

12. The look is going to be the traditional old school look, but I want a set of Billet wheels on it. I know I just pissed alot of people off, but hey like a friend told me once “these cars are like Christmas trees. Everybody decorates them differently." I want the gangster white walls on it though. I still haven't quite put to much thought into the interior. I am still pondering that. I am leaning towards a smooth flowing wrap to try and blend the dash into the interior so you and I will have to wait for more thoughts to come out of my head. LOL<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice">
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I do have one idea I need help with before we get too far along on this thing. I have a set of Packard taillights I am thinking of putting on it. Let me know if this is a good idea for this build, and if not let me here some suggestions. I am running a 54 merk back bumper on it. I just want a good flow to the whole car!

13. oh yea here is the pictures of the wheels I am wanting to run.

Attached Files:

14. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh no!! I can't think of a Merc that looks "better" with billet wheels then traditional wide
    whites and caps. If it won't improve the looks then why bother with the expense. Why
    settle for less when you could be kool..... If we can't make ya change your mind, and your
    still going to go the billet route, then do not mix trends. I saw a Merc in a magazine that
    had billet wheels, billet up'd interior with lake pipes and dummy spots. It was awful!

Something to think about.

Happy Trails, Mick

15. Okay....now you lost me!!!!!!! Please come back......you're fading! Fading away...

16. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

No on the Billet wheels! :D

17. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

to me i doesn't look right at all. with those wheels.the wheels and tire combo is a big part. its a make or brake in my book. a lot of people here will not like them, but then again. its your car build it like you want. good luck with the build. the car could look

18. I knew I was going to raise a stink on the wheel issue. I like the old school caddy caps, but alos like the solid wheels too. Now don't misunderstand me I really hate the open version of any custom wheel on these cars, but the solid I think is a little of both old and new combined. I also have an email in to EXK to give me a price of caddy caps with 17in wheels. I plan on buying them and seeing which one I like more. Hell I might just switch them at shows and get peoples veiws. I have 3 of these cars so if I don't like it I will just put them on on of the others lol

19. Gator

Gator

I don't know why that surprised anyone - I saw it coming... :rolleyes:

20. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

if you are trying to fill the wheel opening up. then get the stock 16" wheels and i believe 7.10 bias ply tires. then get a bunch of different hubcaps and switch those around till you find the ones you truly like. sorry. im not a fan of billet wheels on a custom. the work fine on muscle cars and modern cars. if your gonna go with billet wheels. have someone design you some that look like caddy caps.

21. I like some billet wheels but don't like the ones you pictured.

EXK's 17" wheel setup intrigued me too, post up what you find.

22. they got some more work done on the floors. The front and rear pans are in now we move a little further back now. They are moving along nicely!

Attached Files:

23. Does anybody know is EXK is still building rims and merks? I have tried to call and emailed him but no response......... I am looking into the caddy wheel route too. I will try both and make a dicision from there. Are the repoped stainless caps any good or who can redo a set of orginals and do a damn good job on them?

Man I am thrilled to death to see my car coming along. This shit is great just wish I was home to do it myself, but I will do the other cars I have! You can bet your ass on that.

24. the work looks great, cant wait unitl its sone

25. Yes. You must be calling my old pnone # call 951 678-3520 and my direct e-mail adress is [email protected]

QUOTE=john51mer;6291280]Does anybody know is EXK is still building rims and merks? I have tried to call and emailed him but no response......... I am looking into the caddy wheel route too. I will try both and make a dicision from there. Are the repoped stainless caps any good or who can redo a set of orginals and do a damn good job on them?

Man I am thrilled to death to see my car coming along. This shit is great just wish I was home to do it myself, but I will do the other cars I have! You can bet your ass on that.[/QUOTE]

26. darkk

darkk

I was with you until we got to the wheels! arghhhhhh!!!!!!!:(

27. Friends dont let friends buy billet. Just kidding man...your dollar, your choice.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  28. It's not too late to change directions and build a timeless Merc custom...

29. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Develop a plan and build to the plan. Are the billet wheels part of your plan? They don't look right on a Merc.

30. Hey john51 it was good talking to you today. It looks like your 51 Merc project is off to a good start. As for the solid billit wheel you posted i will say i would not use them myself but its your Merc so do it your way. I can see them posablily working if you could some how smooth them out by covering up the lug nut holes. See att pic of my 17" wheel with 52 caddy caps on a 53 Olds

You also asked about a 55/56 dash and if you are talking about a 55/56 Merc dash then yes they work well in a 49/51 Merc but there's alot of other dashs that also look killer like the very late 40s to mid 50's Olds, Cad, Buick and Pontiac and even the 49/50 ford dash. See att pics

Packard tail lights also work well on a 51 Merc but its been done alot so to me it takes away from them but its your Merc so do it your way. Rick Erickson

Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520
    www.exkustom.com

Attached Files: