Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Merc kustom work by King Kustoms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shoebox1950, Sep 14, 2010.

1. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

2. Good work, sweet car.

3. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Nice build. Yeah chop it; 4" in the front 4 1/2" in the back aint bad either; now that sldnnmatt has schooled me on mine...

4. Good lookin' car, keeping the '51 rear window?

5. Sleddin51

Sleddin51
    from San Diego

No, 51 window being swapped for 49-50

6. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Very nice. Your metal work is really good. I'm with the rest of them. Shave the gutters and chop that thing!

8. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Thanks for the comments! :)

Got the quarter panels removed and blasted, trunk blasted, and next up is to repair the rust on the body and quarter panels then mold them on...more pics soon!

Rob

Attached Files:

9. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Tail lights are finished and in epoxy primer, and also made some progress today on the inner rockers, which are just about finished. Here are a couple teaser pics...more pics soon when the whole job is finished...Octavio did a great job on the bodywork on the lights.

take care,
    Rob

Attached Files:

10. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

It's been a while since I've posted, but progress has been steady on Lee's Merc- quarter panels are finished, inside and out, wheelwells patched, and rear valance is fixed and molded on. Next up is frenching the skirts- I'll post some pics up soon...we're doing both style- smooth and flared (stock '51s).

take care,
    Rob

Attached Files:

11. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Here are some pics of the quarter panels after they were blasted. Someone had previously "patched" them by brazing poorly-formed sheetmetal over the original rusted panels. Not only did we have to patch the rust, but the warpage from their brazing did a number on these panels. They're straight and solid now though :)

Rob

Attached Files:

12. glassguy

glassguy

god damn rob... that quarter seam is sick!!! you are one patient sumbitch!! awesome..

13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Very nice workmanship!!! I chopped mine 4.5 in front and even with cut down seat's , at 6'1'' i had trouble seeing so i kicked it up an 1" and leaned her back an 1". Windshield is only 2" shorter than stock. A trick i learned at one time is to mask off the top of the windshield and side glass the amount you want to drop it and drive it a while and see how you like it. Alway's easier to chop it the right hieght the first time than to rework it later!!! Believe me i know!!!! Keep us posted , alway's like looking at top quality metal work! Larry

14. Very nice. I like the front end treatment. The '51 sorta lines are slick. Any pics with the teeth in place?

15. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Thanks guys! Yeah that quarter panel seam is always time consuming. I think I have a pic with the DeSoto teeth sitting in place...I'll look tonight.

16. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven

nice work Rob! Very inspiring!

17. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Started frenching in the fender skirts...going to do a pair of '49/'50 and '51s...more pics when they're finished :)

I want to thank Paul Bragg for the idea on the pins and latches to mount the skirts, and Rik for having pics of that on his site...Rob

Attached Files:

18. Very nice work. Time consuming isn't it.

19. Very, very nice! I love the skirts and never noticed the pics on Rik's site of Paul's set up. You can bet I will be searching them out now...

20. thundershorts

thundershorts

Shoebox,

You truly are gifted...if I may ask, how is the long quarterpanel seam filled? Looks like smooth lead, but it is outstanding, as are all the pix. Thanx for posting them.

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Tasteful work and very well done. That quarter seam looks to be a lot of work-but worth it!

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice work on the skirts ! ...I sent Paul a pm last year with some questions about how he does his flush fits...he asked for my address and sent me a video tape !! Great guy and amazing talents !

23. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Love the skirts. Great work!!

24. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Thanks for all the nice compliments guys!
    Thundershorts- to fill the quarter panel seam, I bolt on and fit the quarter panel the best I can and weld it up very slowly as even a little bit of heat makes that top edge body line on the quarter panel dance around a lot...then I carefully grind it with a 3m stone. Yes, time consuming... :)
    Koolkemp- yes, Paul is a very nice guy and always helpful...his work is extremely inspiring that's for sure.

25. thundershorts

thundershorts

Thank you. Any chance of you moving to Jersey? My Merc wanted me to ask....:cool:

26. HRod 50

HRod 50

Nice Work Robbie, looks awesome...

27. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

28. Love the work and project, Rob.

29. Mighty fine work,Rob....