Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Lincoln EL Water Pump Problems!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicholas51lincoln, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Afternoon, new the message board HI! I recently acquired a 51 Lincoln EL Series Sport Sedan that ran..35 years ago.. and has been in a shop collecting dust since. It appears that short of a few wires and a tune up it should run. The water pumps, though are completely frozen with rust and age, passenger side moves when the engine turns over, driver side does not. I do NOT want to remove them if i don't have too.. they didn't leak so i am hopefully assuming that the seals are still good and its just corrosion on the pulley that has them stuck. Any suggestions? I am not really sure how to breath life back into them or if it is even possible without fighting the rusty hidden bolt and then paying the 150 a piece to have them rebuilt.

1954 rocket 98 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

The 337 Lincoln pumps do not have a bolt in the water inlet. That special bad idea is 221 / 239 / 255 Ford / Mercury V8 only. I'd pull the pump and see what you really have. I think it is a ball bearing pump so a frozen shaft is a bad sign.

nicholas51lincoln likes this.
  3. they dont!? that is probably the best news ive heard all week right there. yes i am pretty certain they are a ball bearing. guess its time to start pulling them off. I have done a lot of research on the engine but the 337 8EL's are tough to find info on.

4. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

Your best bet for information is to fork over the cash for a Lincoln shop manual. An engine only substitute that is easier to find is the 49-51 truck shop manual since the 337 was also used in F-7 and F-8 trucks.

5. Just for grins....do they happen to have a grease fitting on them? Thought they might - worth a look...good luck !