Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

When Craig smith did the "Liberace" roadster a couple of years ago, he found a really nice pearl white vinyl at H&J trim supplies on 35th ave just south of I-10. It wasn't yellow at all.

2. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

loving the wheels!

On the subject of material...that is something you need in your hands to make a proper choice. Always get sample swatches and never order anything without getting a sample first

3. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I spent Saturday morning looking through sample books at the upholstery shop and looking at every roll at H&R, to no avail. I'm pretty close to just going with a plain bright white.

Any chance you could contact Craig and find out the manufacturer and name of the pearl he used?

4. Just curious, and forgive me if I missed it in an update...are you shooting for GNRS '12?

Because that would be bitchin to see it in person...

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I know a few lowrider guys around me have pearl white gator interior. No clue the brand, but it would be logical to think its made in other patterns as well. I'll see if they can point me the right way for you

6. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

My friend Rob fiberglassed the potmetal window trim together and I got it fitted up today. Hoping to get the bodywork done on them tomorrow.

Attached Files:

7. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Drag'n logo that will be lasercut next week and installed on the front bucket seats in place of the tbird logo.

Attached Files:

8. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Logos cut, still sitting at the waterjet shop.

[​IMG]

9. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I took the car to a glass shop that will remain unnamed to have the windshield installed because the top corners needed to be sanded a little to make it fit better. After two days he called me and said it was done. All I'll say is that the windshield is coming back out tonight and I'm going to redo it myself. I keep learning, over and over, that if you want something done right, do it yourself. It's too bad you can't rely on the "pro's" in the business. End of rant.

10. glassguy

glassguy

hey man.. send me a messege if you need some help over the phone....

11. ooof that hurts.

;)

It wasn't Bell was it?

12. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Doh! Didn't mean to lump you in there.

13. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot but I'll keep your offer in mind. I have had the glass in and out a bunch of times, and it always looked better than this!

14. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

The good news is my shirt smells like exhaust and rubber from the drive home. :)

The other good news is that Diamondback Tires is sponsoring a set of wide whites. I also got a set of bullet centercaps but I think I'm going to shorten them a bit.

15. I haven't looked at your thread for a while. I was hoping it might be farther along. It's a long process,huh! Can't wait to see it when it's done....

16. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

There's a lot of work going on that's not worth a picture. The sideglass is all done, window reg's working, etc. Also the seats are done and sitting at the upholstery shop and it's going in for a headliner next week.

17. 2Hep

2Hep

That's awesome!

18. Are you thinking GNRS '12 for a possible showing? Would love to see this in person...

It really is all the "small" stuff at the end that's a bitch...

19. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Probably GNRS '13, but there will be other shows before then. Gotta a little boy due in early January! I feel a priority shift coming.

20. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Hey that's awesome you got some tires sponsored. A great move for Diamondback!

I know you can do the windshield on your own, you got it.

You'll be really glad you got the car done before the baby arrives.

21. Understood...had our little girl in April...it's a game changer (in a good way!)

22. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

congrats on the kid! you need to get a child seat over to the upholstery shop too. Gotta let the little guy ride in style too!

23. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks for the encouragement. Windshield is almost in, and looking much better than what the "pros" did.

Tires should be here in a week or two, they are making them to order. :)

24. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks! He will absolutely be coming home from the hospital in the Kaiser. Gotta start him out right. :) :) :)

I even measured the back seat to make sure the car seat we bought would fit. A tuck n roll cover would be pretty slick for going to car shows with him, great idea.

25. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Crappy cell phone pic, but I swapped out the orange pointers for aluminum ones with a nice counterbalance on the larger speedometer needle. I've been holding off on this because I needed a 12 volt power supply and a potentiometer to set the pointers to a known position so I could change them. Finally got it done on lunch today.

[​IMG]

I also just found out at SEMA that Autometer took notice of my requests for different pointers, gauge face materials, fonts etc and decided to do something about it. They just debuted their new custom gauge program this week and it kicks ass. I don't see it on their site yet but they had it out at SEMA so I think it's okay to talk about. Basically you can mix and match, as I have with my gauges, and choose your own gauge faces, fonts and pointers and they will build them for you on the assembly line. I wish they were doing that when I got mine.

I'm picking the car up from the upholstery shop tomorrow, so I should be getting lots of things wrapped up soon and have lots of pics too.

26. Is it back yet?

27. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I picked the car up Saturday morning and worked on it all weekend. I need to get the door panels over to the upholstery shop and pick up the front buckets. They did a great job with all of the stitching, but to be honest I can do a better job with gluing and stretching vinyl, so I will be handling the rest of that type of work. I'm in a time crunch to get to Goodguys in less than two weeks, so I will probably be fixing some details after the show. It will be complete for the show though.

So here's what I have left: door panels, vinyl wrap front window frames, assemble and install console, paint steering column and switch panel, install hood ornament, align hood...probably more but that's what comes to mind. I'm also waiting on ANOTHER windshield gasket so I can finish the install. I didn't have enough rubber to go across the bottom, but the windshield is already looking 10x better than when it left the glass shop.

On with the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear seats are not all the way in, they need to be fully installed still.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. The car is looking great can't wait to see it in person.

Frenchy

29. daddio211

daddio211

Hard to tell from the pictures, but did you find the pearl white you were looking for?