Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 jerkury. whats it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glassguy, Feb 8, 2007.

1. glassguy

glassguy

i know, i know. i hate these posts too!!! but i havnt been able to find a realistic comparison. i need to get decent money but dont want to pork anyone iether.. the car is by know means perfect. but pretty nice. body works decent but needs a few spots fixed. small block, turbo 350. lowered the ol fashion way. de arched springs lowering blocks. dropped spindles. drives pretty good but could use some front end work, its starting to wonder a little.. and the interior isnt finished.. so what do ya think this barge is worth??:confused:

Attached Files:

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Having looked at and appraised cars for MANY (too many?) years it's always hard to pin-point a value based on a few small pictures.
    For some things you have to assume the worst- and others the best and hope it all evens out to a decent ball-park range.
    For positives I would have to assume the custom work was done of a quality level by the fact that it has nice shiney paint (if it was primed I would assume it to be a little less quality still needing some work to finish).
    The chrome appears to need redone- but it's all there and fitted.
    No idea on the interior with no pics but have to assume it needs EVERYTHING.
    No pics of the driveline or words on it's current condition(fresh rebuilt or junkyard pull?) so have to assume some freshening and detail work needed there.
    So add that all up with the cost of a 2-door Mercury and the cost of custom work and I'm going to take a WILD guess at a starting price of $32-35K. Please let me know if I am WAYYYY off of what you were thinking or in the range you had considered fair. Again it would be A LOT easier to estimate the value in person- so please take this as an educated guess. Thanks Jim

3. haring

haring

Dave,

It's probably worth more than you think it is. Your car has been around a while, and I dare say "well known" in the right circles.

It may not seem like the most desirable choice, but it might be best to put it up on the eBay.

Otherwise, you need to decide on a number on which you'd be satsfied and happy to see it go. If you have that number, by all means list it for sale. It's so hard to judge the worth of these things.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Hard to say, but I would surmise between 25K and 30K. Leadsledmerc (Keith)might have a better estimate as he sold his Merc last year.

5. glassguy

glassguy

thanks jim... that is more than i was thinking.. its a rebiult motor approx 360hp. it boogies. the tranny is just used but works fine. the original seats are in it the front is redone in white tuck n roll, and the door panels i did myself with the same material but nothing special.

6. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Everything,,,,right down to my testicles!!!

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

With that added info I will stick at $35K for a starting price- negotiate with serious people from there. That's actually a great deal to the right guy for a nice Merc. Good luck, Jim

8. KoppaK

KoppaK

Fuck nooooo!! anyone need a Kidney?

9. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

ive been looking at mercs for sale on ebay for a long time now and i agree with jima 35k plus. ebay would tell ya what its worth.
    I iwsh i had that kinda money. this has allways been my fav merc ever!

10. Svenny

Svenny

I can't tell you what it's worth, I can tell you I like it........ a lot!

Can't imagine what you have in mind next to be giving that thing up.

11. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

25-30 for sure nothing less! Go from there up. good luck

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

If you really want to sell it, seriously consider eBay - I recently sold a muscle car for about 50% more than anyone in the area was willing to even consider paying for the car, and that was in Northeast Ohio (also known as "musclecar territory"). That's the full beauty of eBay - it's nationwide. And it's nearly hassle-free to sell a car (becaues eBay will arrange financing and shipping for they buyer if they want it, and all you do is collect the money).
    Just be prepared to answer a lot of dumb questions, including sob-story e-mails along the lines of "will you sell it to me for this much money?" and "Will you trade it for my bicycle, 50 bucks, and a new pickup?"

13. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

I fell in love with that car the first time it graced the GG mag. Is it true it used to be a 4 door?
    Don't sell yourself short, that's a bitchin car.

14. glassguy

glassguy

thanks chev.. yup it was a 4door

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have one kool sled and I wouldn't even think about taking less than
    $35k. Some guys might think this $$ is unrealistic, but go out and look what
    it is going to cost to replace it. JimA is right on with the price and that was
    the figure I had in mind before I read his post.

I was watching the Merc below on Ebay. he turned down over $36k and his
    Merc has a BAD attitude like yours. I've not seen this one before but it
    drives this kat krazy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1951...oryZ6882QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know your reason to sell it and it is none of my business. I was
    seriously thinking about selling mine years ago and I had a good friend call
    me. He sold a Merc and he has regreated it ever since that day. He cannot
    find another one that is at a reasonable price. The reason I wanted to sell
    mine was to free up some money to work on my '60 Chevy.

One of these days I'll get back on other projects but I'm proud to say I'm still a Merc owner.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

16. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

i always thought that car had packard Tailights

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

What's a jerkury?

R-

18. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

If we have to explain what a Jerkury is, then you wouldn't understand. haha

Dave,
    It sucks hearing you're thinking about selling your Merc. Other than body fluids, that car is ooozing with attitude!

I sold my '51 in the fall of '04 for $22K. It went quick and I probably could have gotten more, but it needed some attension. If you remember, it was basically a 70's build. Even though it was taken care of, it still had 30 years of wear and tear, plus the chop was no where near as nice as yours.

With everything considered, I agree with JimA on the starting price.

Don't forget to use the Biohazard bags for the rags when you clean it up! :eek:

19. glassguy

glassguy

im gonna try to splain it anyway! i am a friggin jerk!, and the car is a mercury. hence the given name "jerkury" haha:D

20. Kustoms Illustrated

Kustoms Illustrated
    from West

Jerk? You're a friggin asshole!!!:eek:
    Dave, I know your situation, but I will cry if that car leaves your hands. It has one of the best looking chops I've ever seen on a Merc. I loved it when it was in copper with gold scallops, I loved it when it was black primer with scallops, I love it in green with scallops, and I'm gonna love it when you paint it gloss black. Do whatever it takes to keep it. The Jerkury is a legend in these parts and I can't picture anyone driving it but you.
    I frequently pleasure myself to this photo......

Attached Files:

21. KoppaK

KoppaK

Don't sell Dave, should we start a keep the Jerk petition???:eek:

22. glassguy

glassguy

you guys are funny!! believe me i would lose a body part to keep this car.. but no one wants any of my parts!! , so it looks like it has to go. i know ill regret it forever , but at the moment its my only way out of the trouble im in..but thanks for the input everyone. i know what ill be asking for it, im not giving it away like all my other cars i sold..

( Jerk? You're a friggin asshole!!!) hahahahah

23. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Don't worry dave, I'll let you ride bitch in the '37 this summer!

24. glassguy

glassguy

thats ok gramps!! ill slam the olds back together,and prime it. so i have something to drive.

25. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Dave if you really have to, sell it to a friend so you can keep an eye on it. When the time is right and you're problem free, buy it back and enjoy the shit out of it. That car gives me perma grin everytime I'm within a 5 foot radius of it. Sorry to see it go man but I hope you'll have somethin cooked up for Connecticut this year.

26. glassguy

glassguy

ill probly take this to the rumble

Attached Files:

27. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Dude- dont sell it- the last thing you wanna see is YOUR car driving int oa show without YOU in it.Around here (East Coast) it can probably sell for close to $40K even with the interior like it is.
    Lemme know if you want an appraisal of it- I can do one to help you with the sale if you decide to sell . Hotrodhotline may be the place to go with it- weeds out the EBay jerks.

28. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

That's cool fuckwad, it'll be good to see the Olds out. :cool:

You still got the booster seat for it???

29. I'd say,no less than $35K. I've seen pieces of crap go for $30K!

30. Tony

Tony

Damn Dave, sucks you gotta let the Merc go..That car is seriously bad ass and you did a HELL of a job on it!
    But we have to do what we have to do to take care of business.
    I deffinately wouldn't let it go unless i was to get all the money for it that's for sure..and i'm sure you wouldn't either.
    Good luck man..
    Maybe see you this summer at a show..

Tony