Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

1951 Hudson Hornet Hollywood Hardtop -- SOLD

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by mossback44, Nov 17, 2018.

1. mossback44

mossback44

City: Battle Ground

State: Washington
    Price: $5000
    If you are looking for an unusual car project, this could be it. It would make a great streetrod, or it could be restored to original. I had planned to hotrod it with a 401 Buick nailhead, but have too many other projects and don't see myself getting to this one soon. I have a clean title in my name.

The body on this car is exceptionally straight, nearly rust-free and appears to be undamaged by collisions. The front floorboards have been patched, but the rear floor and trunk floor have no rust. All of the stainless trim is there and in good condition. Bumpers and guards need re-chroming but are in good shape. I have a good grille, instrument cluster, steering wheel, horn button and several other parts that are better than those on the car now. Also have windshield glass, an extra rear window and the fender skirt that is missing in the photos.

The interior of the car needs to be replaced. The original seats, door panels and headliner are there, but need complete reupholstery.

I believe the engine in the car is a 262 cubic inch 6-cylinder Hudson flathead and not the original 308 since it doesn't have the rib along the bottom of the block. It isn't running and I don't know its condition. The car has a standard 3-speed manual transmission.

The "stepdown Hudson" was the first car to have its floorboards recessed below the top of the frame so the whole body could be 5 inches lower than any other production car. The lower center of gravity and powerful 6-cylinder flathead engine made the Hudson outperform the V8 Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs of the day. They also had excellent suspension and brakes. The Hornet won 27 of the 34 NASCAR races in 1952 and 22 of 37 in 1953. It was the inspiration for the animated movie "Cars" starring Doc Hudson with voice by Paul Newman.

Next to the convertible, this is the rarest of the Hornet models. Nearly all of the 46,000 produced in 1951 were 4-door sedans. Very few were 2-door club coupes and even fewer were 2-door Hollywood hardtops.

Attached Files:

2. mossback44

mossback44