Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Ford hood blew up while driving!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbillyhellcat, May 30, 2013.

1. I did the same thing as 38Chevy454 on my '55 Ford. Never had the hood fly up on me, but I know it is a common enough problem on '49-'56 Fords, so I decided to be proactive. A few dollars at the hardware store for a foot of dog chain, a spring clip, and an eye bolt. If it pops up, the chain will hold it down until I can pull off the road safely to see about it.

2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I had just the opposite happen to me with a 57 Chevy. After installing a new engine, threw the hood on without bolting it to the hinges, just the front center hatch and safety hatch. Flying down the highway about 70 MPH when the rear of the hood starts coming up, came up about a foot. Cowl induction at it finest.

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

It happened to my 49 Ford coupe that I put a 324 Olds in. I was running about a 100 one night when it flew open and dented the roof and broke the windshield. Managed to get stopped . Got out and unbolted the hood and threw it in the ditch.
    The next day went to the junkyard and paid 5 bucks for a hood and hinges and 5 bucks for the windshield and rubber . Of course that was in the 60's. I could even look until I found one the right color .