Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Ford Customline 2dr sedan and 52 mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bab59, Sep 7, 2012.

1. bab59

bab59

Went and looked at these two prospects tonight. Mostly complete unmolested cars, been sitting in pasture for years. Both have flathead 8's mercury was known to run the ford he knows nothing about, Has titles ready to go. The rats have got into them and filled the floors with rat materials.
    Main line is what's a guy pay for such auto's? Seller is at $3000 for the pair. To get them out there it tree trimming and 2 hours of hauling involved not counting the hassle to load locked wheels etc.

What's the lowdown on the Customline ford series?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

overpriced, likely got lots of metal to replace. depends on how bad you want 'em. $500 each.

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Ford added some models at the end of 1951 the Customline was very low production and was a cross between the Crestline and the Custom you should grab it up! The factory visor is an easy $400+ in value the original stainless vent visors are also bringing big bucks.If you restore it you have a winner! Actual regular production of the Customline began in 1952.What makes the one you found unique is the sidetrim being a combination of both the above models.

4. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Hard to tell from just the photos.

Jalopy Joker's comment surprised me based on what you stated and the cars' location and the fact that they are complete.

Not enough information but definitely interesting at the asking price.

5. Squablow

Squablow

The Merc doesn't look too rough, and if the motor still turns, that's a big plus. The Customline/Crestliner '51 looks rusty but that's a super desirable model with a ton of expensive accessory stuff on it.

If you were willing to put in a little work, you should be easily able to part out that '51 for $3K and you'd have the Merc for nothing. Somebody might pay close to that for the car in one piece too.

Judging just from what I see, I'd offer the guy $2K for the pair, I think you'd be doing really good at that price. $500 apiece is an insult, that's scrap price.

6. bab59

bab59

Ford is a crest liner sorry for misinformation they are going to be a huge pain to get out if pasture 1/4 mile of dragging back to the road
    I got $1500 offer in on the pair

7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

FOR DAMN SURE!!
    3 is a little for my taste--but i'm a cheap bastard!I would get both & flip one,

8. 62rebel

62rebel

i've worked with rollback operators who could cross pastures and retrieve cars without getting stuck. takes prep work and walking the route first. most if not ALL of the cars i had in Virginia were dragged out of woods or fields, even one out of a creek bottom.

a running merc flathead prospect oughta be worth a grand easy....

9. bab59

bab59

As it being couple hours away from home I dont want to deal with a wrecker company

10. 62rebel

62rebel

i'm relatively sure that if you put the seller's name and number up, somebody will think it's worth hiring a rollback to go get them.
    that '51 is twice the car i'm working on, and i paid a guy 150 to haul it 115 miles. i've dealt with cars i've had to spend a couple of weekends prepping to move; breaking loose wheels, getting tires aired up, clearing a path, getting brush away from around them, etc... it all depends on what you want in the long run, and what you're willing to do for it.

11. Wow, rare stuff on the 51. Worth it for the trim alone.

12. bab59

bab59

Alright what should I guy pay for the 51 Ford Crestline? It is the one that I am mostly interested in

13. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Buy them both for $3000. Get the Mercury running, sell it to get your money back and have the Ford for free.

14. bab59

bab59

Cant be that easy is the Mercury anything special? The Ford is not that bad but, I hate rat crap.

15. That Mercury looks like it has lots of good trim pieces. They both do. Like Rebel says be prepared if you collect them. Take 4 fresh wheels with good hard tires, a big can of WD40 and a wire brush for the lug nuts.Don,t forget a good trolley jack and a decent plank or two for under the jack. When you have a wheel off get the drums off with a BFH and remove the brake shoes. It will roll. You wear a mask for the rat shit. Scoop most of it out in the paddock. Also a real big water container and towel to wash yourself a bit before you head home with your new project. Squablow mentions you can sell one off once it,s running, happens all the time with multiple purchases, some one has to do the dirty work, just put that in your resale price. Have fun.

16. msalamanca

msalamanca

That 51 has all the bells and whistles.

17. bab59

bab59

Anyone have any interest in the Mercury? Parts or whole?

18. 62rebel

62rebel

ask that again, in the classifieds, once you get it home and post a few pics. most of us have only seen the one pic you've put up. not a lot to go on, if you follow me.

19. bab59

bab59

What Should I pay the man for the pair? This is unknown territory years for me. HELP

20. $2,000 would be a good deal. $2,500 is fair.
    both cars are worth being saved.

21. bab59

bab59

So whats a fair RETAIL on both the cars if the flatheads are complete but stuck?

22. bab59

bab59

Heading that way shovel in hand

23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You can probably unstick them with good old Marvel Mystery Oil and fire them up,plenty of stories on the HAMB about using it.