Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Ford Custome Coupe Build..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msalamanca, Jun 15, 2011.

1. shoebox50

shoebox50

2. msalamanca

msalamanca

Sorry I tried to attach some images to this message but didnt go through, so here we go again.

Attached Files:

3. msalamanca

msalamanca

Yeah, I am pretty glad on that one. I havent started on the rockers yet, will be getting the lower front of the 1/4 in next week so I can tackle that.

4. msalamanca

msalamanca

A little Update.
    More body work is complete. I will take more photos this weekend.
    Just received my spacers for the disc brakes. So now I can finish that up.
    But I did get this Beauty yesterday.
    So excited i just cant hide. I feel like i had a baby and am telling everyone about it.

Attached Files:

5. fordy-nine

fordy-nine

Your car is awesome.

6. msalamanca

msalamanca

Havent gotten allot of work done this past week.
    Here are a few.
    Fixed the rear apron. Its not perfect, but will work and saved me the money not getting a repop and was way better then that hack job that did it before.
    Installed the disc brakes.

Attached Files:

7. msalamanca

msalamanca

Need alittle motivation. Tried fitting the fenders that was "completed" by the last owner and nope they do not at all, bracing is all off. Tried taking doors off to so a hinge upgrade and nope, heat, impact, chisel hammer and nothing, so not looking forward to drilling them out. Oh also the box of bolts that are all rusted helps a lot, also broke to nuts using my shrinking disc. May not seem like a lot but it is sucking a bit right now. I have to get this going by October. F********?ck

8. msalamanca

msalamanca

Sorry for the jacked up words I am using my phone and have been drinking haha

9. msalamanca

msalamanca

I havent updated this in a bit.
    Will post some pics next Tues.
    Here is just a written one.
    Since getting my shrinking disc in the mail, I have reworked the decklid, smoothed, etched and high fill primed.

Rebuilt pass door hinges (pain in my ass, I had to drill them out, every thing else did not work. On the door I ended up punching the threaded plates out and remaking them)

Cleaned up the inside of the door, etched it and primed. Door is done ready to have a couple final blocks and primer fills.

On Pass side, installed the front rear 1/4 panel patch. (BTW The EMS panel was pretty nice. I have to do some adjustments to the bottom like adding some metal. I think it was more my car then the panel. Would recommend those to anyone looking.)

Pass Rocker panel fitted and ready to be welded in. (I was a little disappointed when I received them from Shoeboxford.com, they are EMS made. Due to shipping company, they closed up half way. EMS said they would get me new ones, but I cant wait. So it took me a bit to open them up with out warping. Also I ran into the problem where the front of rocker was 1/4 inch to long, causing finder to not fit properly. I have taking full pics of the process I used to fix that, pretty easy fix. I was thinking of making a tech on it. Over all the EMS rockers are good quality, and I was happy that they would replace mine, and gave me some good advise on the install)
    I would recommend EMS to anyone.

Also filled up the water passages on the flathead with some vinegar. Will be cleaning it out this weekend.

Those are the main things, the stupid hinges bolts set me back a week. Just FYI to anyone that spends more then a day trying to get them out. These are some things that worked very well. I will be doing this on the Driver side if they dont come out, in that case I will take full pics of the process.

-Drill off the head of the bolt, drill out the center of the remaining bolt, heat it up get a small flat head screwdriver, tap it in the hole so its stuck and turn the bolt, It worked about 1/2 time.

-The other half, only on the door, get a punch and hit it until the backing plate breaks the weld. Make new ones dont wast your time on them.

-On the car, the bolts that are outside the pillar, drill them out somewhat, heat them, and take vice grips and put them on the end of the bolt and turn it out.

10. msalamanca

msalamanca

-The first pick I layed down the self etch.
    -Second, after some time using the shrinking disk, hammer/dolly and some light filler. First coat of feather fill.
    -Measured and cut the panel. I didnt want to remove the orig holes. as you can see I am missing a bit there, previous owner cut it all out. Also, I wired brushed by hand and drill all the inner rocker, metal etched, then self etch primed. The door has all new bushings, although I recently opened it up and noticed I installed one upside down, that was a long day when I installed it, at this point I dont care.
    -Starting to stitch it up. The door had to be bent a bit to fit the 1/4 and rocker. The bottom of the 1/4 panel, barely met the inner rocker. When I placed the 1/4 where it should be on the inner rocker, there was a 1/2 inch gap in the door seal. I didnt want that. so I made do with the bottom barely touching.
    -Test fitting the rocker. Straightened the seal as much as possible.

Attached Files:

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks real good. I envy you guys that have rust-free cars to start with. The floors in mine were decent but look like swiss cheese compared to yours!!

12. msalamanca

msalamanca

-So the front of the rocker is to short, so gotta add a little over a 1/4 of an inch.
    -The tab thats bent over, I pulled out.
    -I squared the tab that was pulled out, so now it fits like that. I filled in the gaps where needed.
    -This is the ruff, it ended up moving back untill it was flush with the door.

I forgot to take the rest of the pics.

Attached Files:

13. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

14. yblock292

yblock292

Man thoses floors look great!Nice work

15. msalamanca

msalamanca

-The first is what came out of my flathead, well this is part of it. The Vinegar stroke I mean soak was a great idea. Thanks Guys
    -My pups Jude and Penny Lane, they are with me all the time when I am home or even out and about, but stuck here while I weld. They are not happy haha.
    -Over the years, from touring I got rid of many things. While cleaning the garage, and going thru some boxes I had left I found this, prefect for my car when done.
    -Reorganizing things, remember when they used to make cds? half of the collection.
    -I needed a little pick me upper on the car. So I cleaned the rims and tires, and painted them. They are strictly for rollers. This seriously got me excited though, and revamped me. Sometimes you gotta do stupid cosmetics when in a build.

My time has been short the last month, my mother and myself went halfs on my house, she was single and so was I (I dont date anymore, no time between my car, dogs, work, music, and powerlifting). Well she is getting married if not already is, this thing has been crazy with her. So she is moving out, and I have a friend moving in (hence the garage cleaning, she is a stuffer and how one person can fill closets, rooms and a garage with useless junk I do not know) So its been a little crazy, as my mother who I love dearly can be nuts. Its better this way, now he can take care of her.

I also have been recording with my new band.
    Sorry for few updates. Now the car is going into the garage, it being cleared. I can work all night and anytime :cool:

I love watching all your guys builds, it helps get my ass in gear.

Attached Files:

16. msalamanca

msalamanca

Thanks. Yeah I was fortunate. I have a few pinholes in the floor, not worth cutting out.

17. msalamanca

msalamanca

Thanks man, much appreciated.

18. msalamanca

msalamanca

Thanks, I was very fortunate to have them in-tacked.
    I looked at a few before I settled on this coupe

19. I know what you mean about staying motivated. Sometimes you do have to shift your focus onto something more fun or more results-oriented, or you can just lose all momentum. Been through that stage once or twice :rolleyes:

Keep going, it's looking great.

If you want to see what rusty floors look like, check out my build :D

20. love them coupes. Looks good man..comin along.

21. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Floors look great....coming along nicely

22. clarthepio

clarthepio

Looking awse dude! So we are in October now, did you get done what you wanted? Whats your bands name, any youtube vids? Of the Car or band?
    I cant wait to get stuck into my shoebox!!

23. chromeazone

chromeazone

Been following this thread, and lovin' it! My '51 Coupe has been sitting neglected due to this San Joaquin Valley summer inferno. This has got me motivated! My bomb has good running Flattie, so no hurry to change anything. The rewire/switch to 12V was best early mod I could make. 3" blocks in the back over the next few days. Hope to get it out to the HR Reunion at Famoso later in month. Maybe see some of you Kats out there!

24. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

LOOK'UN tasty ! keep it up..cant wait to see the final product!

25. sololobo

sololobo

Man I love these little coupes, just about the coolest body lines inthat shoebox era. You are really doing a nice job with the repairs. I can tell the dogs are familia and some good pals. Best of luck with the project and the new band, keep on slappin that bass and that coupe body. Thanx for sharing the build. ~sololobo~

26. msalamanca

msalamanca

Thanks man,
    I was hoping to be driving it by now. But goals have been readjusted. sh!t happens, haha. I am going to get it in the garage this weekend or early next week. I love working late, and I can finally be able to do that in the garage.
    My new band is called The New Fury. I use to play in Mad Marge and the Stonecutter, Calavera, Rezurex, Slandering, Atomic Men, The Triggers, Viva Hate, and alot more. I was a bass whore. There are a bunch of videos of those bands up. My new band not yet tho, but soon. http://www.facebook.com/WeAreTheNewFury

27. msalamanca

msalamanca

That sucks, about the fires. yeah man, get back on it, specially if it has a good running flattie. Take a section at time, before you know it, you will be done.
    I am trying to get my car strong enough to make it to Bakersfield, I promised my niece I would pick her up from high school in it haha.

28. msalamanca

msalamanca

Yours is looking great, that decklid looks smooth as silk.
    What did you use for the poppers?

29. msalamanca

msalamanca

Thanks, I totally agree with you on the coupes.
    Yeah my dogs are my babies. I am trying to teach them to fetch tools, haha. But they just want to hang out in my car and play. Very distracting. So I am going back and forth between dry times, or welding to throwing the ball around with them.

30. msalamanca

msalamanca

Got some eye candy for my flathead. hahaha

Attached Files: