Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Ford Country Squire, chrome reverse time. Thoughts & Ideas !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Apr 13, 2014.

1. tires on the way ! 6.70 & 7.10 x 15 Firestone Deluxe Champions 3 1/4 " wide whites
    for the stock rims....

2. New Firestone Delux Champions & new 51 caps..couldn't put the new kicks on with the old caps.. New correct Ford coolant hoses on way...brake hoses wheel cylinders and Master cylinder on the list...brakes were new 40 years ago... Safety stuff..

3. so did a little cleaning, got as much lite rust off the rims... won't paint them...the car has great patina... Bruce putting on another coat of varnish on the driver side wood frame

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The painted over wood was common in wagon sales in the specialty commercial markets. A friend bought a 51 (I remember) woodie wagon which was painted grey and modified into a fire department transport vehicle for the Northeast, PA fire service.
    The roof was removed and the tailgate as well. Seating in the rear was on two benchs face to face.
    Car was sold in Houston to a service station owner in Cypress Fairbanks area.
    Your yellow tail could have easily been a school district vehicle. Commercial customers did not want the expense of maintaining a varnished wood finish but did want a Ford wagon so...

5. interesting to know... can see the varnish from paint that has flaked off the wood.. The yellow was brushed painted on the back very well. I don't see school district markings...but you never know,,, It has been Tacoma car all its life..1968 - 2013 owned by one family, 40 of those resting in the garage slumbering away. :D

6. would be cool to see some commercial woodie applications,, !

7. So my buddy and I had sometime this Satuday morning ..and we had the new shoes for the Woody mounted up to day... Set of new hub-caps and new Bob Drake trim rings( thanks Bruce B. ) Les Schwab on a Saturday was fun ( a 2 hour wait on m & b ) but was well worth it..:D ps here is a picture taken of the Woody right after being removed from the garage were she sat for 40 years

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  8. back over to GH and clean some chrome this afternoon...

9. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

That sure is a beauty. I'm a little jealous actually.

10. We had the wheels out in the sun...they have a green tint to them...just need to get a good paint chip chart.

11. Out fishing in 1968...caught a few trout ! The youngest of the three suns, Dan.. Met the two older brothers today... nice guys..happy to see the car coming around.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  12. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Sweet. I like this site, you get to see so many different cars and enjoy them all.

13. more garage shots... the day it was pulled from the garage

Attached Files:

14. worked on the chrome some today... removed the Grampa reflector tape from the rear bumper...:D

15. Bruce was fitting the upper wood to the 51 on Sunday.. Mr Patjens bought this one upper wood frame in 72... so its trial and fit... it was a little thick in places and didn't fit correctly... but now it's good.. will need some staining to match the other 50 + year old wood.

Attached Files:

16. working away on the wood, Bruce has the driver side door and upper frame refinished.. Upper driver quarter frame is fitted.. He had to make one front dog led piece and one middle part on the lower quater wood frame. I will post pictures of the frame getting glued together later.. Gulp weatherstripping is not cheap on these
    Woodies...but bought them anyway since the car is apart for the wood refinishing...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  17. some pics added !

18. sweet scored a spare tire cover today !

19. so more progress pics, should get the driver side back together very soon. Bruce cleared the metal wood grain panels this afternoon. The drivers door maple upper and lower frames are finshed with varnish. how does this jig saw puzzle go pack together. I forgot to take a picture of the finished driver side maple frames...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  20. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I was wondering when this would show up here. Guess I just wasn't looking hard enough.

Looking good Rob.

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

21. Thanks Evan, we going to see you this Wednesday ? Coming along slow... but should be fun... Just received most my brake parts, new master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake hoses... New correct coolant hoses...

22. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Lets go surfing now .......... cool ride Rob! Out of the box...

23. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Won't be making it out this week. The wife signed us up for baby classes, which is why I've been scarce these last few weeks. This week is the last wednesday class though. Brutus next week...

24. Thanks Jack, sold the 35 and 62 Safari to buy it... 8ba with overdrive.. Let's go camping now ! which the family did alot
    of in the ole 51 ....

25. baby first buddy and keep Mom happy

26. fatman drop parts for the front suspension showed up today ! yeah !

27. Not sure if all 51s had woodgrain dashes, but for some reason they all have 50 ford dashes. great find am a bit jealous.

28. so we were going to start putting the driver side door back together Thursday. Bruce & I got stopped in our tracks . We don't have the vent wing assy for the car... Over to the storage.. no vent... crap !... This is going to be good... Were to find a vent... So Bruce makes a call to the late owners son.. I will go look in the garage( today) .. Bingo ! Dad liked spares also, the original vent assy... Plus one spare driver and passenger side.. Back on track we can start getting the door back together... I guess thats what happens when something is taken apart 40 years ago.. Things get moved LOL !

29. Sea Island Green poly? Found a 51 paint chip.. Hmm