Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951 Flathead timing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by armymp71, Jan 4, 2019.

1. armymp71

armymp71

I have set my initial timing (lined up pointer and bump on flywheel, moved cap to point at cylinder #1) but I do not posses the knowledge to do final timing. Anyone in the Edwardsville, IL area that could assist? I can pay for time and trouble. thanks

2. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Heres the quick way to get you running,take number one spark plug out ,which is the one closest to the distrubutor,shine a light inside spark plug hole and check both valves are fully closed,which means you are on the compression stroke,
    if the valves are open ,you're 180 degrees out,rotate engine till both valves are closed and timing mark lines up.
    Take your distributor cap off,taking note of which spark plug lead is facing torward number one spark plug in the head,loosen distributor so it rotates,but don't go crazy just yet.
    turn power on,gently rotate distributor clockwise,slowly,if it rotates too far and numberone on the dizzy cap is out,rotate anti clockwise a bit first.you won't have to turn it bugger all.when the points spark.lock down the distributor,
    the spark plug lead should still be facing toward number one plug,as the crows fly. check your dizzy cap is still where you marked number 1 lead,
    set your points gap.
    reinstall dizzy cap with leads and it should run,Johnny

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    flatford39 and 3340 like this.
  3. armymp71

armymp71

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. armymp71

armymp71

Thanks for the reply, I am using a RTR distributor. I have got it running by doing your method, but Don’t quote get final timing procedures and am not good enough to tune by ear.

Asphalt Demon likes this.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

6. Add your location.Folks nearby can possably help.

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Asphalt Demon"s method works, but I think I can add something. Use a test light between the distributor terminal and ground. Slowly turn the distributor until the test light goes out. Tighten the distributor down and you should be good to go. If you have correctly done the preliminaries as described and been careful, everything should be right on. I should add, start with the distributor in a position where the test light is on and turn the distributor in the direction to advance the spark. I think it is CCW on an 8BA, but I've done it on so many kinds of engines, I'm not really sure.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Might I add.......adjust your points to the correct gap BEFORE you set the initial timing. Changing the gap afterward also changes the timing....not by very much, but it does change it.

If you widen the gap (after setting the timing), it advances the timing...in you close the gap, it retards the timing. That is because the distributor points cam begins to open the points a bit sooner in order to create the wider gap and, conversely, opens the points later when gap is narrower.

Meanwhile, the crank shaft is moving at twice the degrees of rotation that the distributor shaft is rotating, so the piston is not where it was when you set the timing and then change the gap.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. armymp71

armymp71

10. armymp71

armymp71

So do I need to disconnect the vaccine advance during timing setup on a ready to run distributor?

11. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

I don't vaccinate when setting initial timing. An RTR has no points BTW. 8^)

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My reply was general in nature for point style distributors and was prompted by an earlier post that suggested how to set the timing and then, as a final step, adjust the point gap.

13. armymp71

armymp71

Do I need to install timing tape, or am I missing something?

14. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Should be a nub or dot on crank pulley, that is 2 deg BTDC. A timing tape would be required if you wanted to see more. My 8ba pulley is 6 3/4" dia and msd makes a tape for that diameter. Just put the 2deg line on the 2 deg mark on on your pulley.

15. armymp71

armymp71

Thank you for your reply. If I set at the 2 degree mark does that mean it is generally timed, or do I need to go further. I had it running at the 2 mark and it didn't sound bad.

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Good starting point. Like any engine, some builds might like more advance than others but good baseline to start with.

17. armymp71

armymp71

ok, Got it running but it is dying. Looks like the rpm signal is dropping off which is how the gas is controlled by the EFI. I either have a bad distributor or a bad EFI unit. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EFI mixed with flathead heads ?? Not really a language thats spoken fluently here.
    Though you have complicated the mix somewhat ,someone still may be able to help.

19. sdluck

sdluck

Hook up a vacuum guage to manifold vacuum and try setting it to the highest vacuum while @ idle .Most Efi need a vacuum signal to work properly.

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

Borrow a timing light. Usally when I hear timed by ear and check it I find about 50 degrees total advance.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  21. armymp71

armymp71

thanks for the good info!

22. Frank02L

Frank02L
    from Searcy, AR

What EFI? Do you have vacuum gauge on engine while you are setting base timing?

23. armymp71

armymp71

I set the pin and bump, and left vacuumed alone, it’s running good. Unfortunately my efi has a problem and is now in its way back to MSD.