Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New start...1951 Chrysler Custom..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop40, Nov 9, 2018.

1. choptop40

choptop40

Well , story goes I've been wanting to build a custom for the last 20 years...for one reason or another got sidetracked...had the opportunity to pick up this in progress coupe .been sitting 6 years.. I'm thinking dechrome , Plum crazy flatz , 54 Chrysler headlights , or 50 Olds , not sure on tail lights , maybe in the bumper , nosed , decked , louvers. Let me know what you think...Photoshop if you can...appreciate it. .When I get started I'll start a build thread....Hamb rules....but you know that... image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. choptop40

choptop40

image.jpeg ...oh and I have original factory skirts for it...

3. choptop40

choptop40

4. catdad49

catdad49

Great start!

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. You're well on your way to a cool, and different custom. Keep us in the loop.

6. khead47

khead47

Dethrone ??????????????????

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project - sure will not be a belly button custom - front/rear glass should be something to work on early

8. .........................Yeah, I was wondering about that myself.:confused:......Must have meant de-chrome???!!!o_O

9. choptop40

choptop40

Yes , Dechrome , not sure yet...didn't wanna go the Desoto grille route...that's been done...here's a few more pics image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice lines, the chop was done to the perfect height for the car. Who'da thought that a stodgy old Chrysler could transform into something this cool? I really like how the pontoons stretch back so far! You're a lucky man!

11. choptop40

choptop40

Thanks brokedownbiker , yes those pontoons are what make the car look sleekly long..herea pic of my 49 3 window...you can see the difference....the rear window was replaced from what I don't know yet..original was a 3 piece...have a great weekend... image.jpg

12. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big difference, that's for sure; although your '49 looks pretty dang good too.
    Enjoy!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. choptop40

choptop40

Hey hey, checked out your 40...that's a nice grocery getter...ha ha...appreciate the kind words..getting chilly here too..stay warm...

14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I think the rear window may be mid 40's GM torpedo back sedan. I have the similar 41 Chevy coupe window in my Merc. The coupe is rectangular where the fastback /torpedo back has the tapered sides. I would weld the fender to grill seams to smooth it out and retain the stock grill trim. It is a clean design that is not seen very often. This is a very cool dare to be different project! Larry

15. choptop40

choptop40

Hey hey , appreciate the heads up.Seller knows the builder...I asked him to look into some details. I'll post the builder , give credit where credits due...thanks

16. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Keep us informed...

What did you do with the flathead that was in it?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. choptop40

choptop40

No engine..I know where there's a 50 New Yorker upstate NY , rebuilt Spitfire 8 cheap..pm me and I'll get you details...

18. choptop40

choptop40

Ok..looks like I got the herd thinned down...Fellow picking up my 3 window tomorrow....now I can get the 51 Custom delivered ....dang that 3 window was pretty cool...which would you rather have....... image.jpeg . image.jpeg ..bonus...it's already been disassembled and drivetrain is out...new glass to boot..engine compartment is bigger....mmmm..caddy 500 is a possibility...maybe a full chassis swap....any ideas welcome..... image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    jimgoetz and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hemi Hemi Hemi!! Find a 392 or even a 426 (good luck!) to stuff in there.

20. choptop40

choptop40

Yes...the allusive Hemi...ill keep my eyes peeled...lotsa iron still hidden out there....

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hah...this is great.
    Hey, choptop...I bought a '53 Chrysler Newport 2-door hardtop just two days ago.
    So of course you've got my attention.
    Cool project. Have fun!

00C0C_kLBlBJ95Yj_600x450 (1).jpg

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Room for a big V8.
    Hemis are cool, but a 440/727 would rock too. That's what I'm thinking for mine.

23. choptop40

choptop40

Hey Rickybop , that's a beauty...true automatic ?..Does it drive ? Found low mileage 440 s in motor homes..no one wants them for scrap...getting rid of the carcass is the challenge...

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks ct.
    It did run and drive, but it's in process of giving up its 331 hemi. Even though it's pretty dadgum straight and solid, (came to Michigan from Colorado a few months ago) the seller didn't care too much about the car...just the engine...and I got it for cheap including delivery.
    I like your car...it's already headed in the direction of great possibilities. I love the extended quarters and the chop looks great. I might eventually make some mild custom changes to mine...I doubt anything as extensive as your full custom...though I do think about it lol. First time I've owned a Chrysler. Never really studied 'em a whole lot. Now I am, of course. They have a somewhat Cadillac-like look in the front...lots of horizontal lines. Maybe too much for my taste. I like the upper one that continues as spears on the sides of the fenders and doors. Maybe not the middle one...the whole deal looks like a venetian blind to me lol. The Desoto grille has been done a lot, but I never worry about that if something looks good. It'd be a natural. But I do like seeing something different, and do like the all-horizontal theme. I don't think I'd use, say, a Buick waterfall-style grille. These are big cars, and as do the Cads, have that bigger, wider, MASSIVE look to them...and it should probably be taken advantage of...exploited...accentuated. Hmmm...we must ponder this...lol. Actually, I've often thought I might like nothing at all in the middle of a grille...just a big open mouth...like it's gonna eat all the other cars. Just some deeply positioned and blacked-out hardware cloth or a grille that you can't really see. No drawer pulls.
    I've always liked '55 Chevy headlight "eyebrows" on earlier cars. Lends kind of a bulldog-ish look...in keeping with the massive look and the big-in-front/tapered-in-the-rear "teardrop" affect that many customizers strive to achieve. Would probably look good on these cars as well.
    You wanted thoughts. I'm thoughting lol.
    Looking forward to seeing your car become all that you want it to be.

farmer12 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. choptop40

choptop40

I thought thinking about your thoughts that I thought I'd better give it some more thought...ha ha..humor is so important in life.......the opening as you described it was something I thought about...mmmm....plenty of time for that part of the project...maybe just leave it as is.....I'm thinking of a full frame floor pan swap from an o.t car....found this cool website...gives wheelbase info..https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/engine-transmission-chassis-donor-vehicles .hope the link works...I like the idea of having the whole platform running and driving ..I'm not as spry as I used to be and a scratch chassis power plant , plumbing build takes a bunch of hours and planning etc.seen a lot of Mercs go that route....thanks for the supportive words...ok..now...can I have the Hemi...tee hee....

farmer12 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. I'd a kept the business coupe...
    Gotta love those 3 windows!
    Wanna trade?

27. choptop40

choptop40

Hey Rustydusty , let the 3 window go to get this one , got a 50 like yours....may sell it also..

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Wow! Nice to see someone else is interested in early 50's mopar. I could never understand why they aren't more popular. Not much different style than early 50's Chevys, with the added benefit of the slanted "B" pillars. I attend a few big shows, lots of Chevys almost no early 50's mopar.

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with you, RD.
    Mopar coupe gotta lotta butt.
    Reminds me of a girl I went out with...
    Maybe not a super-model...
    but man...what a be-you-tee-full ass!!!
    And she's got just a little different style than the rest of the girls...

30. choptop40

choptop40

Ok , got a shipper lined up..Tennessee to Upstate NY...excited to see the car in person...like a kid in a candy store...Been checking out early sixty Chryslers..some decent buys..413..wink wink......