Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Chevy Pickup Vs. 1934 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justnicholas, Jan 13, 2010.

1. justnicholas

justnicholas

I have not been a member long but I was looking for more of a custom. I know the '34 is more of a rat rod but I wouldn't mind doing some body work and painting. I currently have the '51 pickup for sale and a local guy offered to trade me his '34 so I will post some pictures below and stats about them and I was hoping to get your opinion on which is worth more or a better choice. Thanks! Much appreciated.

1934 Ford Pickup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some Stats:
    1934 original cab
    aftermarket bed
    331 caddy motor
    hydramatic tranny
    1940 frame
    1957 chev rearend
    1959 caddy taillights
    original 1934 radiator shell
    remote door poppers
    1990s minivan seat - recovered by jimmy f of california
    new door windows and mechanisms
    electric fan
    aftermarket blinkers and heater (heater still in box - not installed)
    keg gas tank
    all gauges and lights work and are functional
    titled and registered as 1934 ford pickup

1951 Chevy Pickup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some Stats:
    1951 Chevy
    New Interior
    Rebuilt 216 (4k Miles)
    Oak Bed w/Stainless Runners
    Disc Conversion on front
    Electric Wipers
    Electric Ignition
    Aftermarket Radio (dash not cut)
    12 volt
    New carpet

Just hoping to get your opinions on which is the smarter choice.

2. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

like the 34, but that 51 is money!

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Unless that guy is going to throw in some cash with the deal I'd say no way. That 51 is to me worth a lot more, but then now days the r!*%&d guys tend to spend an awful lot on those types of rigs. If you are wanting a custom, you'd be further ahead to customise the 51 or trade the 51 for a real custom and not the 34 truck you are being offered. Good luck.

4. S.Sutherland

S.Sutherland
    from Fontana,CA

Keep the 51.If I were you I'd hop up the inliner, maybe install a different trans behind it, and redo the upholestry with some a tuck-n-roll and accessories. (Trico Fan, Compass, nice orignal period correct stuff...etc). Not fuzzy dice or things like that. You can do alot to the motor externally to get the hotrod look you're probably craving and in my oppinion have a nicer vehicle. If you really like the 34 take it for a spin with you at the wheel. How does it stop? Is it comfortable to drive? What does the steering feel like? I konow you're going to do what you want but these are all things to really consider. BTW... nice truck.

5. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

51 is worth alot more

6. troylee

troylee

Keep the 51 and build a 32-34. Do some reading and seaching on the HAMB. lots of nice trucks to draw some insperation from. O yea less all the rat rod b.s.

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Brutally honest opinion...

That '34 is stupid silly. If you're 17 years old it would appeal to you. Keg gas tank...hokey taillights...chicken shifter?...flat black/red wheels...door panels? How about cartoon truck?

Your '51 shows you have good taste in vehicles...you really want to trade it for a cartoon truck?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I would make him throw in that rubber chicken or no deal!!!:D

9. Joes50

Joes50

The 51 is finished and the 34 needs alot of money to make it yours. You need to be receiving some cash with that trade.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You said you want a custom. Life is short...go for what you want. Don't get side-tracked with the '34 if that's not what you really want. Those Chevy pickups are desireable to a lot of people...sell it and get your custom, or something that can be built into a nice custom.

11. justnicholas

justnicholas

Looks like you guys like the 51 one. I didn't mean like custom but I meant more custom/hot rod where as my truck to me is more stock ish besides the brakes and wide whites. I like the truck but I have not driven it or anything. More opinions helpful!

12. why get a truck where the bed looks like its out of proportion. I hate cut down beds personally.

I think the choice is a no brainer.

Just because its old, doesnt mean its worth more.

Value first!

13. 296ardun

296ardun

What do you REALLY want? The '51 could be turned into a neat truck with a little work, but, in my opinion, the '34 needs lots of help, as others have noted...But custom, you say? A '34 pickup with fenders, chopped top, and shortened bed can look really cool. If you take the '34, I would recommend ditching the fake-looking headers (is that a Cad motor?), the keg, the rubber chicken, the cheesy taillights, and try to find some fenders and a real tailgate...it then combines custom work with hot rod performance...maybe wide whites and '50 Merc discs?

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

P.S. - You're not too very far from Ian Berky here on the H.A.M.B. He's in northern California. Contact him. Show him your truck, and see what he says. I'd bet that he could get you into a chopped full-custom car for maybe a little more than what you could sell your '51 for. Maybe sell your truck, buy a nice solid stock late '40s to early '50s Chevy, and have Ian chop it for you. A late '40s Chevy coupe chopped by Ian would be sweet! In fact, I've got a real solid disassembled one for sale here in the classifieds, but I'm a bit far from you. They're available though for reasonable prices. PM Ian. - Rick

15. justnicholas

justnicholas

After all this I think I am gonna keep my '51. My '51 I feel is too nice to play around with because its nice already. I want something thats more of a project. I think I am gonna stick with my 51 and try to sell it.

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

16. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No contest for me, the '51 is sweet, the '34 just doesn't do a thing for me. If I was doing that trade I'd want lots of cash too. But in the end it's your life, do what makes you happy.

17. Tony

Tony

Gotta agree with Larry..
    I'll add my own opinion's as well.
    I do agree as they sit, the Chevy is the money truck to me.
    I had a 33 Ford truck, and have a 52 Chevy now. The 33 was fun but was not comfortable at all and i could not haul anything aside from myself..The 52 is the exact opposite..
    I kinda miss the 33, but would not let my 52 go to get it back...

EDIT: just read you are keeping the Chevy. Good choice.
    Tony

18. dead last 63 f100

dead last 63 f100
    from detroit

19. The '51 is killer. It isn't too nice to play around with, it is a heck of a starting point. You don't have to go crazt at first, start simple and go from there. You have a starting point that most of us would kill to have.

20. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Good choice buddy

21. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

That 51 is sweet....couple of speed goodies and an altitude adjustment and thats all I'd change...

heck it'd prob take me a long time to change that cause I'd be driving the shit outta it.

22. justnicholas

justnicholas

I do drive it whenever its sunny out I was just looking for something that was more of a project for me to mess with. This truck is just way to nice for me. Thanks for all the appreciation of my truck and the opinions.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh...I thought you meant like a CUSTOM. You meant a customized vehicle as opposed to your stock Chevy. Well...it wouldn't take a whole lot to customize your '51. A dropped axle in front, maybe some pinstriping on top of that nice red paint, a nice dual-carb intake and split exhaust for the 216...good luck, Nicholas!

24. screwball

screwball

Just by looking at the title I thought it was a stupid question. After looking at both trucks its a real toss up. If you really wanted a vintage rod project the 34 would be a good for rebuild. But I like your 51 and its good as is. And you said you wanted a custom. I would pass one this one till you find what you want.

25. Just Jones

Just Jones

No doubt about it, keep the Chevy. You'll never regret it.