Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Chevy Bel Air gasser style Hot Rod build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dan, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

I'm starting this build thread on a car I've had siting for a long time and just started building. I've received a lot of help from this board, so I thought I might contribute what little I can.

The car is a 51 Bel Air that I'd like to look like the early version of Gene Schwartz's 1964-67 NHRA record holder Bel Air that he still races at nostalgia events.
    IMG_1371.jpg
    The drivetrain will be a little different, I plan to run a 454 dressed to look like an early BBC, a Doug Nash 5 speed with a Hurst style shifter, and either an Olds/Pontiac, 12 bolt or early 9" housing. The wheels will be Torq Thrusts, interior will have early 60s GM bucket seats and the paint will be something simple.

The car I'm starting with was hot rodded in a previous life with bits from tri-five Chevys. When it came to me the engine, radiator, wiring and most of the interior were missing but it was fairly solid.

IMG_1351.jpg

Because someone had put a 52 grill in my 51, I knew that had to come out along with some other parts.

IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg

I told my wife that independent front suspension was "just another example of government mandated waste." She looked at me like I was stupid, but she did help me work on the car.

IMG_1383.jpg

2. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Trimmed off the SBC front mounts a previous owner welded on and mocked up a 51 Chevy 1/2 ton axle to see what it looked like.
    IMG_1389.jpg

Found out the front of the center cross member "K" member legs needed the ends trimmed to make room for the rear spring mounts. (sorry I don't have a better picture)

IMG_1433.JPG

The front axle needed to be drilled so we clamped it to a piece of 2x5 square tubing, shimmed the opposite side and put a level on each end to assist in drilling the holes straight. Used the slowest speed, plenty of oil and went slow.

IMG_1439.JPG

It turned pretty good for a first time effort and gave us a little bit of pride in having accomplished something new.

IMG_1447.JPG

Tim, swade41, s55mercury66 and 7 others like this.
  3. Really cool project. I love those early '50s Chevy gassers. Hey, if you need to get rid of that center grill bar, I might be interested...

4. Budget36

Budget36

Translation:

"I'll buy the center grill bar if it's cheap enough" ;)

Kidding with ya..

Will be following this thread.

Fitty Toomuch, slv63 and catdad49 like this.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Great project. Love that body style.

6. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Thanks for the complements. Sorry I probably won't sell any parts till I get further along.

The radiator/core support cross member was bent, so I made a new one from thick wall tubing.

IMG_1454.JPG
    The new cross member also gave me room under the frame rails for the front spring mounts.

IMG_1460.JPG
    The trimmed Trans Dapt engine mount cross member and fenderwell headers gave me a better idea of what things will look like (gotta imagine white headers, an orange engine and chrome GM valve covers).

IMG_1467.JPG

With front brakes, wheels and tires it's starting to look like something other than an old field car. I'm thinking of radiusing the rear quarters, but I mocked up the rear tires in and sticking out to see how it looks.

IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG

Tim, shtbox, Just Gary and 9 others like this.
  7. 6inarow

6inarow

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Oh great another gasser build for me to watch:)
    Like I don't have enough distractions:)

loudbang, 6inarow and Just Gary like this.
  9. biscaynes

biscaynes

10. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Thanks guys.

enloe, I don't know if this picture helps but I'll do what I can to reduce your "suffering". :)

IMG_1590.JPG

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Just Gary, swade41, tomschev2 and 2 others like this.
  11. Boondoggle

Boondoggle

Sticking out looks like the way to go!

swade41 likes this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Radius the rear wheel wheels and get the rear down to the minimum height as stated in the rules.
    The car will handle better. Highboys are street freaks. They put a rocker height rule in place so you can run the minimum height and still look like a gasser and not a super gas car.

13. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Before this car is done I think I'll radius the rear wheel wells. I like the way Gene's car sits (1st pic), the rocker is even with the rear axle centerline and the rocker is slightly above the front spindle centerline.

For a long time I've been wanting to build something with a straight axle, healthy engine, stick shift, slicks, fenderwell headers and tilt front end. It's not being built to fit a set of rules, but as a hot rod I can enjoy on the street and maybe take to the track a couple times a year. If I lived closer to the Southeast Gassers events I'd probably want to build it to allow me to run with them.

loudbang likes this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

They are starting a Southeast Gassers Texas style.

Quain Stott and kiwijeff like this.
  15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I loved Genes car . When I was younger the early 50s chevys really did not catch my eye because they where usually sedans or coupes, but when I was first born in 1955 my Dad had a 50 hardtop and there where pictures of me as a toddler with the car. so I always had a soft spot for hardtops and when I first saw a picture of Genes car I was in love so I do have one in my collection and have thought often of creating a tribute to Genes early car. Maybe when the Merc and my 55 Chevy are done. On till then I will follow yours and be inspired. Larry

loudbang likes this.
  16. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That is a really solid car. Going to make one nice gasser, good job.

17. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

I didn't know that. Now I'm thinking I need to read their rules and maybe attend one of their events to check out things a little more in detail. Of their races remaining this year, any idea which one would be the best to go to?

Thanks Mike.

Larry, cool to hear about your Dad and you both owning Chevy hardtops. It reminded me to look for some pictures I got off the HAMB (I think?) of an old 50 Bel Air gasser owned by a Tom Fleming I believe. Here are the pics, hopefully someone will see these and know the whole story:

017_zpse6c5129c.jpg
    013_zps64cf86c2.jpg
    029_zps885d7ce6.jpg
    050_zps8a0597b6.jpg

shtbox, Just Gary, Torkwrench and 9 others like this.
  18. Wouldn't think you'd need 5 speeds with a 454. How are you gearing it? Under-driven 4th? What ratios?
    Probably need to upgrade the shifter too, if you're thinking about racing it.;)

loudbang likes this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Labor day weekend in Chattanooga is a good race or the finals. All of them are good. They put on a great show. I am trying to get mine finished for next season.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I will be in Chattanooga:)

21. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Chattanooga sounds like fun but we've already made plans that weekend so I'm thinking about Shelby, NC on Nov 4th. Since it's the last event of the season I'm hoping there will be a good turn out.

The trans has a real low 1st gear (like 3.27?) and 5th gear is 1 to 1. So if I run a 3.00 rear gear, in 1st gear it'll be like a 2.20 1st gear Muncie and a 4.56 rear. But on the highway in 5th gear it'll rev as you'd expect with a 3.00 rear. I intend this to be a car I'll drive a lot so I've gotta walk that line between radical enough yet streetable enough to be fun.

Funny you mention the shifter. I don't want a shifter that looks too modern, but I came across a deal on a Long Machine Tool Shifter that's supposed to shift better than the Hurst that was on it. I think I can still use the Hurst shifter stick & handle so it'll still look 1960s and the rest will be covered by a boot. The Long shifter has heim joints on the ends and rails in the shifter body that seem to move more smoothly (we'll see). Here's a picture of it installed:

IMG_1615.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  22. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Now if I could only shift like one of my childhood heroes. :D

alanp561, Torkwrench, Cosmo49 and 4 others like this.
  23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Grumpy was everybodys hero !

6inarow and Hot Rod Dan like this.
  24. 6inarow

6inarow

Love the stogie

25. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Ronnie Sox wasn't bad at it either.

0NE BAD 51 MERC and loudbang like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Back in the Good old days when men were men and if you wanted to win you POWERSHIFTED. It's become a lost art with the new people in the sport. :)

alanp561, Cosmo49 and enloe like this.
  27. You had to kind of wind up with those old style shifters. Some of my friends couldn't handle them for power shifting.
    Had me race their cars..Never complained LOL
    Anybody can drive the new style, pistol grip ratchet things.

jimgoetz, Hotrod.Chief and loudbang like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

It was all about getting the clutch adjusted just right and a feel for the car. A guy hired me to drive his 65 GTO super stock car . He just could not get the gear change right. We used to call it eating a sandwich between gears for the guys who were slow at shifting or who let off the gas between gears.

29. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Following a modification seen on the HAMB, we took the guts out of the original master cylinder and made a bracket to mount a corvette style master to the back of the original MC. A little bead blasting and paint and things look a lot better. Now I just have to fab up a longer MC push rod.

IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG

30. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Great idea on the master cylinder.

loudbang likes this.