Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Chevrolet Styleline Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrousnutter, Feb 2, 2013.

1. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Ok been a while since I've updated and I've been busy working away as and when I can on her. Next job I did was to tear my th350 apart for a new set of clutches and plates and general check over and rebuild.

Here it is all apart on bench looking like a warp engine off Startrek lol....

[​IMG]

Then I rebuilt her and gave it a nice coat of gloss black,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Next job was to start fitting up the dashboard area, so I got most of it fitted in now she's looking a bit more car like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I got my dash together I had a bit of time before I could actually fit the engine and box as was waiting for the torque converter to turn up. I decided to start plumbing my airtank ready for when I get that together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then when I had worked out where the pipes would run I then got the airtank fitted in the rear with the compressors as well.

[​IMG]

That was all I managed to get done that day it was another long one but she's slowly coming together

3. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Next job now the torque converter had turned up was to mate the engine and box and get it stuck in the hole lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a slight bit of trouble with the power steering bracket I made as it hit the chassis leg which was a bummer but I spent the day sorting it and remaking it to work out with a different power steering pump and got it sitting better. So now the next major job for me is to start building the exhausts and then plumbing in the engine. Also I have to sort out some kind of pcv system for the engine as I'm using closed rocker covers I need to sort the ventilation system out.

4. OldStyle

OldStyle

I haven't written anything in this thread yet , but I always look for updates in it...great work man ! :)

5. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Looks great man! Awesome progress!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. OldStyle

OldStyle

Anything New happened ?

7. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hi yes plenty been happening, been bad at taking progress pics so didn't think it was worth adding to build thread with pics, I've got her rewired with my new clocks, been doing lots of little jobs, fitted my wilwood discs to front, managed to get her started up too, last big two day mission was making up the gear linkage between column and box which was a total nightmare to do but I got there in the end. I've got my front tires but bought 8inch rear wheels and then realised they won't go under arches where it's lowered....doh.... So I'm going to buy two new 6 inch wheels for the front and use he 6's on the rear. I've swung her round now to get exhausts finished and have fuel tank made.
    I'll get some pictures sorted soon and get it posted on here.

Cheers for asking just been a bit lazy on the computer lol.

OldStyle likes this.
  8. bigshag's stylemaster

bigshag's stylemaster
    from Alabama

Cool build. I have a question about what steering rack did you use. I have been looking for a way to use the stock front end stuff but add power stearing. I have 49 and I am in the early going. I am trying to get my game plan together. Your thread has been a lot of help. go pics to.

9. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hi all, been ages since ive updated and i do apologise but been slogging away at project and not feeling like ive been achieving much, but in the last couple of months its really started taking shape, ive managed to get 70% of the wiring done, ended up using an ez wiring harness, not the easiest to fit but it was pretty straight forward even if the instructions left a lot to be desired. Ive also had the first run out of it which sounds really nice now, ive made a custom exhaust system which i brought out through the rear bumper as later on im going to fit a taildragger but i really want to have her on the road this year so im not going to get involved in doing the taildragger till ive had some fun out of it lol. Also ive fitted my wilwood front discs and master cylinder so as soon as i have bled the brakes i will be able to have my first drive in it.
    My job at the moment is trying to repair my front inner fenders as they were totally shot but as im in the uk its near on impossible to get parts.
    Lastly i couldnt have done all this without my good friend jons advice and help when i got stuck lol (which was a lot more than i'd like to admit lol).

here are a few pictures i have firstly of the wiring....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as you can see its a spaghetti nightmare lol but i got there in the end...

10. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Next i fitted my new clocks, they fitted very well and can recommend classic instruments as an easy fit...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  11. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

The next major job i did was to fit the wilwood front disc conversion, this again was a very easy task the instuctions were very clear and i can only say what an excellent kit this is....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have this and the new master cylinder fitted plus all the pipework plumbed in.
    Next I made the rest of the exhaust but did do one cock up where i made it too tight to the rear axle and had to remake a bit, You can see i have it coming out of the rear bumper and will make it rattle proof lol when i finally fit it and have painted the rear bumper...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and yes i know ones pointingup in the air but its disconnected underneath so flapping about a bit lol..
    these are half way through making the over axle parts...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And i had to relieve the rear crossmember but welded in 1/4 half round pipe so its as tough as before...
    [​IMG]

12. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Im also at the moment using the air shocks it came with so decided to media blast them and paint them gloss black...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a quick pass through my blasting cabinet and they came out looking great, although i forgot to take pictures of them painted lol...
    [​IMG]

13. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Lastly here is a couple of pics of how she looks now please excuse the green wheels, im just in the process of getting some new ones ordered...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One other job which was a real pain in the rear was making the gearchange linkage it took so many fit and removes to get it to work just right you wouldnt believe lol.
    anyway thats where i am at the moment im hopefully going to be getting on with bits and bobs and making more progress shortly! thanks for looking Jason.

14. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Gosh Jason, you're doing a terrific job on the ol more door. Reading your entire thread brings back some (painful) memories of doing the EXACT same work on mine! Good luck to ya, and I can't wait to see it on the road!

15. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

I know there are some very painful memories over the last two years lol, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now thankfully

16. Read the whole thread. Good motivation for the morning. What's the story with the hot rod clubhouse with all the projects?

Oh yeah.... Subscribed!

17. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hey thanks for the nice words, its my mates garage (shop over there), its his business although everyday work is modern cars, i have my chevy there, he has the '55 dodge, the mustangs a customers running a stroker sbf currently getting a posi fitted, he also has a '46 fleetmaster going on bags all round which is a long term project and my penance for having my styleline there for the last two years is to get provide a bit of rocket up the arse to get the fleetmaster on the road hopefully for next year.

Although ive not got any recent pics ive been busy getting on with it been trying to get my inner fenders into shape, ill hopefully get them painted soon so they can go back on and i can get the front end together, then its a few other bits to sort and get on with bodywork my aim is July this year for being on the road.....the clocks a ticking!!!!

18. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Time for another update, ive been getting on well with car, got all the wiring in engine bay completed plus wiring to rear end for battery, also got my inner fenders fitted, they fit well but i had a few problems lining the front fenders up but got there in the end. I only have a few iphone pics at mo which ive uploaded below, ill get some proper pics as soon as i remember to take my camera to the workshop.
    IMG_1021.JPG IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1074.JPG

lowcoe likes this.
  19. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

I'm off to Billing Aquadrome next weekend for the first NSRA show of the season, unfortunately I won't be in my Chevy as haven't managed to get it done, I need to push to get it ready for the next one which is end of July.
    My next jobs on her and going to be finish a bit of plumbing at front ( new fuel pipe and heater matrix pipes), a few more little jobs then it will be time to fit up and try and sort out the bodywork which will be major work but not going shines probs just some red oxide primer to leave ratty.
    I'll update soon with some decent pictures

20. OldStyle

OldStyle

Now its time to see some new pictures ? :) I really like this thread (Y)

21. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hello Oldstyle, really sorry I haven't done much in me car in the latter part of last year, I had a family bereavement in June last year so my hearts not been totally in it. But all said I'm getting back there I have repaired my roof and started on the doors but now I've booked it into a local bodyshop and need to get some panels from over in the states but I have a plan and I'm Now going to convert it to a two door as my door gaps are shot so need to do major repairs.
    After talking to them it's the only way to really get it how I envision lol

I'll organise some more photos as soon as possible thanks for staying interested

Cheers Jason.

22. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Ok surprise surprise I have been busy beavering away on my chevy the last few months still trying to get back into it like I was before but I'm getting their, I have been getting my taildragger under way, I have a few photos from my iPhone which I'll upload in a sec.... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466950902.919779.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466950939.477898.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466950976.002918.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466950998.275551.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466951024.776645.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466951056.594274.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466951093.222957.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466951153.841420.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466951180.606714.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466951270.736600.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466951290.859832.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466951314.709619.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466951334.856860.jpg

Anyway thats where I'm upto as of this weekend have a friend coming to final weld it all during the week so then I can get it to move up and down on he bags

23. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

I'm still beavering away at my styleline, only get to work on her at weekends now, I have her lifting up and down on an airline and all seems to work well, I think I'm going to have to mount my fuel tank in the boot floor to stop it dragging the floor on full drop, I'm making my inner fenders today then going to plumb the brakes and get her running and hope get her into the bodyshop for panel fitment, I'll take some pictures today and hopefully get this thread up and running again.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

25. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Well over drop as the wheels touching the inside of the fender

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

27. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Here's a couple of videos from my phone that show it raising and lowering from an airline going up to about 45-50 psi

28. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rear fender wells mocked up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And tacked into position
    [​IMG]
    I love it when a plan comes together

RMONTY likes this.
  29. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Ok been busy beavering away, made landrover discovery extended bumpstops fit today and got it sitting as low as it can to be still driveable in full drop, also big thanks to my mate Jon who made my brakepipes up and I also remade fuel pipe to run over c notch

30. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter