Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Buick Frenched my Headlights / Tech...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yaril, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Yaril

Yaril

i had been wanting to french my lights for a while but never could figure out what look i wanted. well being that i just got my hands on a Rodders Journal with the Sam Merc on the cover. i kept looking at the simple french job he had done and read about his single exhaust cause money was an issue. what a coincidence, money is always an issue for me too :D.

so my Buick finally was sick to its stomic and threw up the stock headlight assembly. this is all i gave myself to work with...

[​IMG]

first thing was to get the buckets to mount from inside the fender well. simly flipped 8 little J clips and thats done...

[​IMG]

the buckets needed a trim so that the glass wouldnt be tunneled in the rings. i wanted the lights to finish off the top and bottom contours...

[​IMG]

the easiest and most important part of the job. getting the rings right on. prior to fitting the rings i filled the 2 bottom holes (1 for the screw & 1 for the drain). so now the rings are taped on just where i want them. you can also see the inside fender lip has a small notch at the bottom, this is allow any water that enters the rings to drain out in the fender well...

[​IMG]

so going 1 tach at a time i complete the 360 degrees around the rings. i focuse the heat on the fender and catch the ring. i also work on all parts of the ring not 1 area at a time, this lets the heat cool off an limit any distorsion. then simply grind the welds as smooth as possible...

[​IMG]

minimal body filler is required. in order to keep the car looking somewhat presentable i decided to design scallops where the body work can be restricted to. this will let me keep enjoying the car while i continue to make modifications without having blotches of primer here and there...

[​IMG]

the body filler step at this point of my build is not too important. i only use 1 pass of body filler because this is not the cars final paint. i will worry about the imperfections when its going to get the gloss paint. so for the mean time a couple coats of primer and some simple gloss black that is similar to the already existing paint...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so the last step is to disguise the edge where the 2 black paints meet. simple 1/16" pinstripe tape is applied. again, this is not the final paint but its quite presentable till that day comes...

[​IMG]

and there you have it. frenched my headlights for 0 dollars.

thanks,
    Yaril

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. BJR

BJR

So how do you aim them with the rings welded on and the adjusters pointing forward? Do you have to remove the buckets from the inside of the fender each time you make a move?

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I like the smooth , clean look BUT what happens when the head light needs replacing ? Just a thought .

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Drill 1/4" holes in the buckets directly behind the aiming screws. Slot the rear of the screws with hacksaw. Aim lights. Plug holes with blankout plugs available from electrical supply shop.

5. Yaril

Yaril

you replace it. just turn the wheel to one side and remove the bucket from the fender well.

302GMC is right on with how to make adjustment easier.

6. oleskool

oleskool

Luv the "olskool french" look ! :):cool:

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Very, very nice... I like the simplicity and the scallops are a nice touch.

8. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

Slicker'n snot on a glass doorknob.................

9. Yaril

Yaril

thanks guys im happy with the out come.

ole pork? huh.

10. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

yup thats the way to do it, not the stupid hagan thing, this way is just as easy or easier then hagans, and it doesnt looks like ass when done. good job

11. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

Great job it doesnt even look like it was touched it looks almost stock!! Good job im glad to have some nice easy tech on here.

12. Yaril

Yaril

thanks guys! i forgot to mention that i also installed the rubber seal with original clips. mine was old and cracked but i went ahead and put it on, it seals between the headlamp and the opening. worked out nicely.

13. lowdown

lowdown

Nice work man, started frenching the lights on my 53 chevy today and was worried about filling the drain hole in the trim ring so i was stoked when i saw your quick fix of notching the fender. i also like the hiding of the new paint with scollops.

14. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

15. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

16. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great Tech! I like your way of hiding the bodywork and re-paint till later too!

17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

18. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

19. BadLuck

BadLuck

Great job...Clean and simple..

20. looks nice, love the making your primer blotches into scallops. Good idea.

21. Yaril

Yaril

cool, glad yall liked it!

22. I'm confused, I thought frenching was recessing a light, or antenna, not extending it?? Clue me in!!

23. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Looks great! i myself prefer the old school way, just like yours!!

ian

24. Yaril

Yaril

recessing is referred to as "tunneling", frenching is in reference to removing the chrome. the lights on mine are not "extended" the chrome has basically just become part of the body. hope that helps.

25. ratt7

ratt7

Great tech - I like Buicks !!

26. Yaril

Yaril

well, thought i would add to this thread being that its the same car and more cleaning. this time i try to save gas by welding the gas door shut :D

door opening cleaned out...
    [​IMG]

i use the original door gutted of hinges and finger lip hammered down...
    [​IMG]

some grinding a little filler and red primer...
    [​IMG]

finally some black to get me by till the next time...
    [​IMG]

well, thats it. next i may work on shaving the taillights.

thanks,
    Yaril

27. Jakedreamer

Jakedreamer

You used the original rings? Wont the zinc int the process of them being chromed make them rust? I really like them by the way......

28. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

its stainless steel

29. twofosho

twofosho

O K, now it's time to round the hood corners and shave the trim!

Great job, by the way, illustrates perfectly the technique "frenching" headlights for those reading the other thread on this running currently.

30. Art Randall

Art Randall

Really nice!
    Art R.