Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951/1952 Buick Hood Ornament Disassembly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '51 Roadmaster, Feb 18, 2018.

1. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Hello

I found a junker hood ornament at a community flea market this weekend for $20 and figured it would be a cheap investment to figure out how to disassemble my good one before I send it out for plating. I realize this is only of interest to a handful of people out there, but I could not find any info on how these things were assembled and this info may be of help to someone else.

The ring is made of a two piece construction, pressed together and held in place by tapered, ridged pins. I first gave it a shot of PB blaster and let it soak in for about 10 min. I then carefully drove thin tapered steel wedges of increasing thickness in between the joints, progressively alternating between joints. The 'wings' in the center of the ornament are held to the main body with a single long tapered and ridged pin. Once I removed one half of the circle, I carefully hammered out the center pin with a brass hammer, removed the lower 'fin' piece and was done. All told, it took about 15 min. and was pretty straight forward. I hope this helps someone out there!

Here's the complete (good) hood ornament -
    IMG_3152.JPG

Here's a few pics of the junker one disassembled -
    IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3679.JPG IMG_3680.JPG

'51 Roadmaster
    Saskatoon,Saskatchewan
    Canada