Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1950's period correct hot rods.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldebob, Dec 27, 2009.

1. 3dnsouth - What a great pictorial of the evolution of your hot rod. Each version is a good as the one before. But, my fav has to be this version, whether with the flattie or the hemi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The upper roadster was purchaced in 1958 and finished in 1990's

The lower coupe was my driver in 1958. (nobody painted their car purple then) :eek:

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  3. Koops

Koops

What an excellent example of how a car (hot rod) developed from the '40s through to the early '60s, in terms of form, function, style, trends, fashion and purpose. Nothing was ever fixed rigid to a specific date and that is the joy of 'real' hot rods... no? Thanks to all who've shared their actual '50s era photos (and '40s era photos on the other thread). I'm sure we've all learnt a little more and enjoyed the privilage too. Thank you all. :D

4. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I have repeatedly looked at this thread, and am always amazed. The stuff back then was just fantastic. I also just realized that the "lil roadster" has never made it in this thread. Sooooo here is my shameless plug for Uncle Ray....All these are circa 1954-1957
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  5. Murch

Murch

This is an awesome thread, anybody have anymore pics? Since I'm bringing it back up, seems like a lot of these cars are running full hubcaps, which I am digging, but was that what most people did throughout the period, or does it put that particular car in a certain part of the period? Also besides flatheads what other engines were available and popular to use during the period?

Thanks, Murch.

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im assuming there wouldnt have been too many wheel choices back them, hence the hub caps.

7. This thread is one of the best that I have read/looked at on here since joining. I tried to keep my 30 Chev build 50's period correct.

Attached Files:

8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Oldebob The Sept. 2001 issue of Rod and Custom had a good article on how to build a traditional hot rod from the 40's,40's,and 60's that gave a pretty in depth idea of what was "period correct" for each of these era's and what engines,parts,paint colors,etc. would've been used at the time.

9. Badmoonreizen

Badmoonreizen
    from Howell, MI

Here's my contribution. Late '50's at Detroit Dragway. I wish I still had the fuel injection unit.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  10. nelson31

nelson31
    from Santa Cruz

11. 296ardun

296ardun

This question was posted some time ago, didn't see Jimmy B's answer, so I'll take a shot.

I think that this was Milt Alley's Desoto-powered modified roadster, background looks to be either Saugus or Paradise Mesa..Milt was from Central California and raced the car at Santa Maria and other Calif tracks....think it was later painted metallic brown.

12. 31 5w

31 5w

SWISSMIKE ,I am almost certain it is Ron's car. Have known him for yrs. He kept it stored @ a friends garage near my late brothers house . Haven't seen Ron in ~1 yr. 31 5w

13. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

My old roadster. 1977 and today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  14. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Here's a cool shot i had of some 50's style Hot Rods lined up at the 50's diner in Buffalo NY. And my Buddy Gary's tub that's done up like a 50's Hot Rod...

Attached Files:

• HH1.jpg
      HH1.jpg
      File size:
      73.5 KB
      Views:
    • Tub1.jpg
      Tub1.jpg
      File size:
      99.4 KB
      Views:
  15. The Abreharts

The Abreharts

My roadster, heavily influenced by the Neal East roadster...

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's just Sweet!

17. GARY?

GARY?

Oh my word, you ain't messin' around. Wow!

18. hermit ridge salvage

hermit ridge salvage
    from oklahoma

Back In 58? Had 40 Ford. Didn't have money for paint so I stole black tempra paint out of our high school art room. Worked great...till it rained. Painted my yard art with it yesterday...what a hoot.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      566.8 KB
      Views:
  19. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Great post, frs!!!!!:D

20. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Thanks HRS. I've been looking for a post like yours and Hellraisers ever since I started this thread. Now if someone would just bring up painting their car with one of those vacuum cleaner attachments.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  21. hermit ridge salvage

hermit ridge salvage
    from oklahoma

Yep..remember those vacuum cleaner painters. Guys from the right side of the tracks used those...all we had was brushes..bug sprayers..powder puffs. Great times ...great memories.

22. hermit ridge salvage

hermit ridge salvage
    from oklahoma

Can't remember where I swiped this from but it's a great example of a 50s period correct hot rod. 40 Ford deluxe..mild rake..WWs..disks..louvers..stub lakers..chrome tips...club plaque. Look at it..perfect..perfect..perfect.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  23. hermit ridge salvage

hermit ridge salvage
    from oklahoma

Back in 58? I bought and old 49 chevy coupe. On Saturday I picked up Teg and headed for Orvilles junkyard on the north side of town. For two bucks he would heat your springs. He asked us..the usual two? We told him to do all he could see...we want it real low. He shook his head but didnt argue. Then Teg said..pushing the fender down..yah we want our moneys worth this time..and we all laughed together. Soon we were bouncing over the tracks with our shocks still boiling..headed to Rogers roller drome..to look for the sisters. We were cool....life was good..

24. Dave50

Dave50

Heres 2

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  25. Nice thread!! I'm diging it!!!

26. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

My coupe before I sold it...

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  27. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Very cool!!! I guess I'll post my car.

The black and white pic is a more recent pic of my car with a V860 axle with the whole front end plated. This pic was at Barona. It's me and Julio from the Bean Bandits. We had a blast racing that day.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  28. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Always loved this build, the kick stand exhaust is the finishing touch, you really know how to build the A Bones !!!

29. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Thanks Rice n Beans,, I see you like cats.. Me Too.. We have 4 and a couple of dogs...

30. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here's mine

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.