Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950's James Auto-Float tire truing machine

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by adavis, Dec 11, 2018.

1. adavis

adavis

I hauled this home Sunday and can't find ANY information about it. I can't even find a picture of one. It works (both motors turn on and run smooth and everything moves as it appears its supposed to) but it is missing the knock-off that tightens the wheel in place. The round cast handle on the front got broken but I can find a replacement easily.
    I'm wondering if anyone has seen or used one of these before? I own an Amermac 600 but this is a different beast...same principle but slightly different approach. 20181210_222115.jpeg 20181210_221114.jpeg 20181210_221131.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS and tractorguy like this.
  2. adavis

adavis

Anyone? I find it hard to believe this is the only one of these in existence. Just trying to find out more information.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. WobbleShaft

WobbleShaft

Cant believe nobody had an answer for you. There were quite a few O.K. Tire stores through out the midwest and a possibly further. I just purchased this sign that came off of our local ok tire store and found your pic trying to learn what "auto float" procsss was. Good luck!

Attached Files:

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think that is like the one we had in the Firestone store in the middle of Waco in the 70's I never used it because the older tire guy did all the tire truing.

You can get a hand wheel by measuring the shaft diameter and figuring out the wheel diameter by measuring the broken one. Mcmaster carr shows them https://www.mcmaster.com/hand-wheels Amazon has them and you can find them on Ebay and probably a good local industrial hardware store.

5. scotts52

scotts52

Where'd you find that beast? Pretty cool.