Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950's Dodge Hemi/Poly engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35desoto, Oct 25, 2011.

1. 35desoto

35desoto

Does any one know if the camshaft from a 1950's Dodge Hemi will run in a Dodge poly engine -and visaversa
    I'm talking about the 315/325 polypherical engines and whether a Dodge 315/325 hemi camshaft will run in the swap over.
    I know the cam bearings are the same and the camshafts physically fit however do the camshafts still allow the engines to run OK regardless of the heads? I.E does the hemi camshaft need to know its in a poly engine (or visaversa)

2. snaptwo

snaptwo

The 315/325 Dodge hemi/poly are tall deck blocks so I would say it would work. The 241 259 and 270 are low deck. Same deal for 301W 331 354 low deck, 392 tall. As long as you keep the same deck height it should work, I don't know about the perfomance though.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The cam should be the same or at least interchangeable. The only thing they changed was the heads.

On the raised deck vs low deck. When they raised the deck on the Chrysler hemi in 57 they changed the angle of the lifters to give the pushrods a straight shot at the rockers. This meant the cams had to be at a slightly different angle on the camshaft. From memory I think it was 108 degrees of lobe separation vs 116 but don't quote me. They may have done the same on the DeSoto, when they made the raised block.