Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak Fastback

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ponchovilla, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Ponchovilla

Ponchovilla

Hey everybody, I’m new to this forum thing, so recently I done some trading and I’ve got this 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak. I believe it was a straight 8 when original but from what I can tell someone from the 70s has put a gto or fire bird engine/trans/rearend in the car. They did a pretty good job at everything except the engine is leaning pretty bad to the left. The is going to need a lot of sheet metal. My question is does anyone know where I can get body parts or will I have to pretty much fabricate my own ? Also since the car has already had a v8 installed I am pretty dead set on doing an Ls swap for the modernization. Also any ideas on a disc brake swap for the front ? I have a kit for the rear that I’ve had for a couple years now that will work but curious on the fronts. Thanks for anybody help or input. I’m ready to get this sled back on the streets.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be brutally frank, you are on the wrong forum. Any interest you may have gotten by mentioning a "Silver Streak Pontiac" was pretty much dissipated when you mentioned "LS motor" and "disk brakes".

You will be better served finding another forum more suited to your tastes.

ClayMart and Clay Belt like this.
  3. Musta got lost or took a wrong turn...

4. Disk brakes is bad now?

5. Ponchovilla

Ponchovilla

6. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

alot of the sheetmetal from the cowl back is the same as a chevy. try EMS for some of the patch panels you need. hoods and fenders are different but still some used ones around. good luck with saving a ol' poncho. john

7. You might want to hang around for a little while anyway and learn what the site is actually about. You'll probably find that there are still a lot of things you can learn and ways you can contribute. But the HAMB is purposely restricted and more specialized than the bulk of the other hot rod or street rod sites. :cool:

chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Illigitemi non carborundum. If it were mine, and already had a Pontiac engine setting in it, I think I'd pull it out, freshen it up, make some new mounts and call it good. The only real problem with the original front suspension is the upper control arm/shock, which are always worn out. The simple fix is to make some brackets and mount a tube shock off the lower control arm to the frame, similar 70's-80's Chevy pickups use. The brakes are pretty good for the era, but if you want disks and better suspension, GM "B" body frame clip gives you all the above and the same 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Chevy rockers are the same, but the quarter panel where the rear fenders bolt, no one makes a patch, you're on your own. Get a brake and shrinker/stretcher and go for it. Floor pans for Chevy's are different, as is the firewall. I had a '48 Pontiac covert for 42 years, so I have a little experience with these. ;) IMG_6040.JPG

chryslerfan55 and gsnort like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with this. You notice I said "better served". It's not that you probably won't learn a lot more here and enjoy yourself doing so, it's just that there may be better places to get the specific information you're after.

10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Edit your original post and remove the LS part and enjoy the ride here!