Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 Pontiac Driveshaft woes....advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ragtops Forever, Oct 30, 2015.

  1. Ragtops Forever
    Joined: Oct 30, 2015
    Posts: 2

    Ragtops Forever

    I have a 50 Pontiac convertable which has been slightly rodded.
    At some point in its life it's had the original motor and trans swapped for a Pontiac 400/TH350 from, I'm told, a 67 GTO.
    The rearend seems to be the original one but the driveshaft has run into some problems. It started vibrating and investigation revealed that the rear u-joint was in trouble. It's a strange looking set-up as the u-joint goes directly into a pair of bearing blocks with cleats that bolt to the pinion flange. The u-joint has damaged one of these blocks and these now need replacing.

    I'm also not so sure that the driveshaft itself is 67 GTO as the parts listed for the u-joint should be a 1 1/8" one and the one I need to replace is a 1" diameter.
    My problem is two-fold:
    First I need to know if this bearing block deal is indeed original to the car and if so where I could find replacements.
    Second, if I can't get replacements, I'm looking for another way to get the driveline back together again.
    Here's a couple of pictures of what I mean by bearing blocks.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    IMG00579-20151021-1709.jpg IMG00580-20151021-1710.jpg
  2. TudorJeff
    Joined: Feb 13, 2007
    Posts: 1,132


  3. J Twitero
    Joined: Apr 15, 2011
    Posts: 105

    J Twitero
    from Minnesota

    Also looks similar to the rear u-joint on my '52 Ford, was able to get it at NAPA, comes with 2 of those instead of the "normal" caps on all 4.
  4. ROADSTER1927
    Joined: Feb 14, 2009
    Posts: 2,849


    My 40 Pontiac had that setup also. When I put the v8 and four speed in it with a chevy drive shaft, I actually looked through an old u joint book and bought 2 u joints and swaped the caps to get the spacing I needed. It was pretty easy. Gary

  5. stimpy
    Joined: Apr 16, 2006
    Posts: 3,547


    you can still get that style its called a saginaw U joint a good driveline shop should be able to order them o have them in stock as they use them on some heavy equipment
  6. Ragtops Forever
    Joined: Oct 30, 2015
    Posts: 2

    Ragtops Forever

    Thanks fellers............easy when you know what you're looking for.
    Now I'm a happy camper.............!!!

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.