Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 pontiac chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gtostu, Aug 1, 2008.

1. gtostu

gtostu
    from benicia,Ca

Hi all, Just wanted to show my 50 getting its lid lowered. I had a day off yesterday and decided to jump into it. I still have forever to go but you get the idea. Which brings me to my next point, if you see something wrong PLEASE let me know- its way easier to fix now than later and I have never done this before. Thanks to those who gave me advice before I started carving, that helped quite a bit. gtostu

Attached Files:

2. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Looks like your getting there keep going.

3. study and memorize the 'flop chop' thread.

4. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

cant wait to see this thing done

5. brewsir

brewsir

NO NO NO...it's all wrong...weld it back on and start over! Sorry I couldn't get over today...I'm sittin in a hotel room in San Louis Obispo now!!

6. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Meh, I got a 4 dr Streamliner. It'll take more beer than I can stock to get me to try and cut into that knowing I'll never get it right.

Good looking project on yours though! :)

7. gtostu

gtostu
    from benicia,Ca

I was thinking the same thing brewsir, raising tops is gonna be the next big thing. I'll be looking to go +4 in the front and +5 in the back like a tall T or a 50's dodge. Midnight, all you need is a few bottles of your local lightning and you won't care if its right. gtostu

8. gtostu

gtostu
    from benicia,Ca

So after all the crap with the recession, work, the wife, blah blah blah I finally understand how projects can take ten years. I've been chipping away at the top, 1/2 hour at a time, and am finally feeling like I might finish it. someday. if I'm lucky. Its amazing how many times I've welded something up just to realize I have forgotten something and have to cut it back apart. Anyhow enough crying, here's some progress pics. And thanks again to the many of you who have answered my dumb questions. ;)

Attached Files:

9. 50dodgeboy

50dodgeboy
    from California

I second that!

10. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Looking good! Just keep at it!!

11. gtostu

gtostu
    from benicia,Ca

Just a few more progress pics. I almost have the inner structure done, I had to cut out a big section of roof because it wouldnt' hammer flat enough. I picked up an el cheapo harbor freight english wheel and learned how to use it a little. Yes, I ran my fingers over too. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I don't think I could have done the crown in the roof any other way. Now I have a million hours of grinding then its time to look for pinholes in my welding. Stu

Attached Files:

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

Looking good so far. Just be careful when grinding and finishing up the welding - the whole roof skin can warp if you're not careful. Is there a dip in your roof in front of the rear window? If so, fix it now before you go any further!

13. gtostu

gtostu
    from benicia,Ca

No Dip, Dave, its an optical illusion. I do have a ton of massaging to do though-

14. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

A lot of work, But it's looking good!! Good profile!

15. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

Hey more progress done on this thing? I'd like to see how it is going

16. billys54

billys54