Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 pontiac 2 door business coupe build!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50pontiacguy, Aug 25, 2014.

1. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

So here's what I've got done so far! Im putting a sbc in a 1950 pontiac along with air bags, power brakes, discs up front stripped and painted...and so on and so on, just haven't seen anyone doing quite what I am to this car so wanted to start a thread for my build! Scarebird disc kit, built my own stainless bag mounts for in the spring pocket....So far been working on front end... Hope you guys enjoy! More pics to come soon! If anyone has info in a power steering setup that works let me know please!!! Thx

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Cool Pontiac ! A fellow in my area has a black '49 Business Coupe that I have been mildly lusting over.

Ray

50pontiacguy likes this.
  3. retromotors

retromotors

Double order of popcorn, please.
    This oughta be good .....!

50pontiacguy likes this.
  4. Why not a real Pontiac engine?

RiotPirate and rustynewyorker like this.

5. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Thanks guys! Chevy engine just because it's what I have, im building this in my garage scraping penny's lol steak appetite on a hamburger budget!

6. old1946truck

old1946truck

Oh yay another belly button engine going into a good car......

jebbesen likes this.
  7. I guess it could be worse..Good thing you didn't have a 383 Mopar laying around

8. nice poncho! Fuck the haters! Mark at Scarebird builds nice stuff!

9. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Yea everyone is an armchair quarter back, doesn't phase me :) yea I like scare bird but am having a problem with the kit, the bearing they specified for the outer on the disc doesn't fit my spindle....sent them an email waiting for a reply....btw I do have a sbc 383 laying around that might end up in the poncho lol

10. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Ok found another 2 spacers that come with the kit they had fallen out of the parts bag into the box lol disc brakes kit fits perfect! Scarebird is awesome! Mark probably thinks im an idiot though! He responded to my email simply with "did you use the outside spacer" lol hey we all do dumb things occasionally :) moving on....

11. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Well here's some pics of the air bag mounts I made for the spring pockets, and some pics of the disc brakes installed! The scarebird kit works great. Next ill be cleaning and painting engine bay and putting in a hanging pedal/power brake booster....soon as it comes in the mail.....

Attached Files:

50'SilverStreak likes this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

people who are too cool for Chevrolet motors crack me up. heard some other numb nut call them belly buttons and they have to jump on the bandwagon and try to act cool too.

there is a direct correlation between the hatred of the SBC and the length of your cuffs and the height of your pompador.

scotty t, Saxman, belair and 2 others like this.
  13. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Lol I know right!? Like if you don't like what im doing scroll on, no need to comment negatively, LAME! Those Damn sbc's just the most popular engine out there...... HA!

slack likes this.
  14. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Well just a couple pics today of the inside driver fender well and the hanging brake pedal/booster assembly, it actually went in fairly easy using the hole from the defroster, im gonna modify the actually pedal lever/arm a bit just so I can get it right where I want it. It was a universal 7" booster with corvette style 1" master. Was only 150$ shipped too :) it hangs a little too high and toward the seat a bit far, but it's any easy modification. Moving along nicely. Next week ill get the driver control arms put back together and the disc/caliper installed on that side then run all new brake lines, if anyone needs a defrost unit the one I took off is in good shape no leaks.....until next time...... for whoever is reading...... :)

Attached Files:

philedealer likes this.
  15. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Couple more pics....

Attached Files:

16. belair

belair

I really like these cars. More pics, please.

17. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

10-4 ill get a bunch of pics tomorrow and post em!

18. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Just a few random pics of the car.....

Attached Files:

19. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Few more! Tons of work left to do, but the goal for now is disc brakes and suspension....one step at a time....well more like 5 at once with me lol

Attached Files:

20. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Does anyone out there know what rack and pinion setup fits well in these cars?

21. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

My custom made brake pedal I made for the pontiac, had to alter the arm to get it where I wanted so figured what the hell, plasma out a skull and wrenches for the pedal lol I dig it, and noone else in the planet has this brake pedal!

Attached Files:

slack likes this.
  22. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Bump stops!

Attached Files:

23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

That photo reminds me of the Devo concert I recently attended in St Charles, IL. Lol!

24. white64

white64
    from Maine

I thought the wheels were going to be an issue here (JUST DON'T PAINT 'EM RED!), instead it was the chevy small block....! Who knew!

I love those cars, and to think for decades they were totally ignored.

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There were a couple of other, similar Pontiac Coupes being built here on the HAMB. One was a gasser version with a SBC, only it had the "Pontiac" (Chevrolet) valve covers and a straight axle. I believe he sold that car before finishing it and stopped posting. VERY rare car you have there; the nephew and I are building a 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe that's rare also, just not quite as rare. Find a pair of those "Pontiac" (Chevrolet) valve covers that actually say PONTIAC on them. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. I'm thinking that they got missed

27. retromotors

retromotors

Yeah, the wheels are why I ordered popcorn back around post #3.
    All I can say is it's a far different H.A.M.B. than it was a couple years ago. Those wheels wouldn't have made it 30 seconds without the need for asbestos undies!

28. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Lol well guys you'll be happy to know the offset on the spoke wheels is wrong, can't use them. Hey, I liked the way they looked but I may use some steelies ive got laying around, not sure yet :) boy, rough crowd around here! Haha hey I just do what I like! And yea I was wondering how rare the car is, don't see many of them, and I don't know why they are/were passed up it's a beautiful car!!

29. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I've got a '50 Chieftain too but mine is mostly stock. How long do you think it will take you to finish this project? Good luck with it....

PICT0003.JPG

30. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Well it will take awhile as im on budget but the goal is to be driving by winter, next spring ill do paint just focusing on the suspension and driveline right now then I can make it pretty lol beautiful car btw!