Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 plymouth brake pressure problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jzeecarguy, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Jzeecarguy

Jzeecarguy
    from Michigan

I'm trying to bleed the brakes on my 1950 plymouth after replacing the wheel cylinders and hoses, but when I bleed them when I release the pedal the fluid rushes back and it looses most of the pedal but comes back after the second depression. Is there a pressure check valve that could be problematic, or is there still air in the line?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. montero

montero

so after you close the bleeder valve fluid is sucking back into the system?

3. Did you do the shoe adjustment first?

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That is the way the master cylinder is supposed to work. You are supposed to hold down the pedal while someone else bleeds one brake, releasing the pedal after he closes the bleeder. Then pump up for the next shot.

5. Jzeecarguy

Jzeecarguy
    from Michigan

I've adjusted the shoes, and made my own power bleeder and had a very good stream, the brakes seem to lose their pressure only when the pedal is all of the way back, I'm not familiar, but I read that the fluid returning is suppose to come from the small port and not the large which it is, I have the rebuild kit for the master but I have never rebuilt one and I don't have the correct manual, if it is stubborn air, I don't want to tear into something that is and was working fine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The brakes are supposed to lose pressure when you release the pedal. If they didn't, your brakes would be dragging all the time and eventually overheat.

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

how much free play do you have from the pedal at rest till it begins to pressurize the fluid? there should be an inch to 2 inches of free movement from rest to where the piston begins to resist due to pressure.