Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 oldsmobile front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joeoldsrocket, May 20, 2010.

1. joeoldsrocket

joeoldsrocket

Hey guys I'm looking for some help and advise . I'm trying to put my car together and I wanna start from the front brakes and my question is wich would be the best to clip the frame or just upgrade to a disc conversion I think clipping with a s10 could be the best but I'm trying to decide .have any one done this in a 50 olds. I will apriciate the help.

2. DRD57

DRD57

3. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Scare bird makes a disc conversion, Kanter has a rebuild kit for the front end.
    I met a guy who bolted a 70's gm a body power steering box on a 56, (he said he had to heat up one spot with a torch and dent it).
    I am using the stock front end, It drives fine.
    BTW cutting 2 coils is a little too much.

4. i used a jag front end on a 51 olds. handles killer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. joeoldsrocket

joeoldsrocket

Thanks guys I think imma just do a disc conversion so I don't have to cut anything I don't care if I still have power steering .thanks for the help

6. tyeager55

tyeager55

What model jag front end did you put in your 50 Olds?

7. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

If you want to do it right use a front end from Scot's Hot Rods. We put one in a '50 Olds and it makes a world of difference. That's a heavy car and trying to fix the stock front end is a lot of work. Check this out.

http://www.scottshotrods.com/frontends.asp

8. mr50s

mr50s

Hey joeoldsrocket,

If my experience with re-doing my 1950 Olds coupe is any guide, you won't have to light any torch or use any Sawzall to get what you want.

Five Points Classic Auto Shocks in Santa Ana, CA. can rebuilt all four of your stock lever-action shocks, and even re-calibrate them for a stiffer ride if you want. Contact them at (714) 979-0451. My Olds rides great with them. No need to update the technology there.

The one area where the old tech really needs improvement concerns body lean. Find a sway bar supplier like Addco or Hellwig and have them custom-make front and rear bars for your car. You won't believe the difference in cornering!

Then add some new front springs (a bit lower and thicker than stock will do) and you're all done--you have your cool-looking ride, and your ride rides cool!! And no fabrication and alignment problems, either.

mr50s

9. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Read what Mr50s says. No need to re-invent the wheel. You just need to tweek it to get it more round. You've already got a really stout IFS in front and you can make it handle more to modern tastes without getting crazy changing geometry.
    Do some math, or better yet have someone that knows how to, do it for you to work out spring and shock rates and add sway bars and you'll be driving and sitting pretty. There's a fellow that is autocrossing a 1st Gen Camaro with a stock suspension (pretty much the worst geometry for handling ever) that he just tweeked here and there and he's hanging with much more modern cars. Don't re-invent, just tweek...

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

thread is from 2010 from a guy with 4 posts. wonder if he's coming back?