Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1950 mg td $500 hot rod project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John "Gunner" Gunnell, Aug 7, 2011.

1. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

Last year I was able to purchase this 1950 MG TD for $500. It appears to be a 20,000-mile car that was in a flood or something. It looked like a tough restoration at first, but turned out to be really bad from the center of the car back. Transmission parts which I needed for my stock TD were almost like new. We suspect the engine internals will be almost like new, too. Engine even has a special pulley for a Judson supercharger.

I took the car completely apart and was going to just sell parts when a couple of "Cheaters" from Milwaukee came up to my shop Gunner's Great Garage for one of my free seminars by 3M. They kind of shamed me into building the car as a hot rod. So far I have had the frame welded up and the stock shocks are being rebuilt by Worldwide Auto Parts in Madison, which does friction shocks with a lifetime guarantee.

Now it is time to start building a car from the frame up. My desire is to find a rebuildable Ford V8-60 I can drop in it. Instead of wood, I would like to built a tube aluminum body frame and stretch some kind of panels (maybe even stock repros) over the aluminum framework. I need ideas, so let's hear what you think.

This will be part of a series of articles every 3 months in AUTO RESTORER magazine. It is called a "Tale of 3 Ts." I am building this hot rod, the stock TD restoration and a "rolling restoration/old time fix-up" on my '54 MG TF. Which do you think will be the most fun? Which will be the best deal for the money? It's the aim of the articles to answerthose questions.

This car looks OK here, but it is ruff-ruff-ruff.

Attached Files:

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This is actually pretty funny. Just last night I was reading some old hot rod magazines and there was an article on swapping a V8 60 into an MG like yours. I dug it back out, and here are some lousy pictures from the yellowed pages. If you haven't seen this article I thought it might help you out a little.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. metalshapes

metalshapes

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Alex, that is the Don Noyes "U.S.Mule II" that I was caretaker of for 12 years. It won the AA/MSC at the U.S. Nationals in 1965. The third photo shows the car as I found it. Bob [​IMG]

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

What happened to it?

Has it been restored?

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

It is in Oregon under restoration, wish I could have kept it, but I had bills to pay.

7. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

8. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

When I was stationed at MCAS Yuma,AZ.1966-67 there was a TC-TD(?)floating around town with a sbc in it.I think it had a faded candy red paint job.Anybodyremember that car?

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

One of the first model cars that I ever built. I have always loved the looks. I think it was the swoopy front fenders.

[​IMG]

There was a local drag racer that used a Singer like this as an altered in the early 60s. It always reminded me of the MGs. I wanted to do one like it one day but they got too costly like everything else.

You have a very nice cheap start. You can't go wrong.

10. LabRat

LabRat

11. marsny

marsny
    from ny

My member name is marsny,find my profile and you can see a pic of my 52 mgtd with a 57 392 in it Jimmy

12. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

There was a famous V8-60 powered MG TD that campaigned in California sports car racing during the 1950s. It was called 2jr. Google it.