Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Mercury power steering How did you do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pooch, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I am starting on a Mercury project for a friend of mine and I thought I would ask what have you done and how do you like it.
    Thanks, Pooch

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

ford f100 steering box. do a search here and you'll find a lot of info.

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

4. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

are you keeping the flathead? there was an article in r&c a little while back about adapting a ps pump/pulley to flatheads. looked real good and stock like. maybe someone can remember who was making it. i'll look when i get home tonight. that is if you're keeping the flattie.

5. GreggAz

GreggAz

we use the Isuzu boxes, Jamco sells the kit.

we have done several customer's cars with them, all see many miles and they all like it.

6. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

The flathead found a new home years ago. Small block and an auto trans are all he can afford at the moment.

7. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

The Jamco kit looks like its just some brackets and a pitman arm. The price may be the killer there.

8. GreggAz

GreggAz

the kit is the brackets, crush tubes, plates, hardware, and the modified pitman arm... the most of the work in the kit is the pitman arm... the price is where it is due to the cost of developing the kit and the jigs to modify the pitman arms, and the relatively low demand for Mercury kits.

9. OK...I am going to be dinasour here...I want to replace the manual steering box on '50 Merc with a more modern manual steering box. I am reworking my flathead with a 4-71 blower and I do not have room for a power steering pump. If I cannot find a good candidate box that is a direct bolt-in, I may consider going with the Extreme Custom Jeep box with Bimmer electric pump...getting pricey though. Can anyone help me out here with a some info or ideas?

10. SLEDLORD

SLEDLORD
    from OC

I am new at posting here....But I think I can help you. I bought a 50 merc a few years back that had a f100 box in it already. I decided to put a 390 ford motor in and just could not clear that f100 box. A freind of mine saw an add on e-bay by exk about a power steering box for mercs. So I check it out and bought a complete kit from them. It was easy to install and fitted real tight to the frame. The owner of exk was real helpfull to me and even gave me a stock pitman arm. I would try to get in touch with them. They are out in lake Elisinore ca or try e-bay

11. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

exk is a member here
    extreme kustoms is his business.

12. The Shocker

The Shocker

I read an article in Rod and Custom ( i think) in the 80's about using a late 60's Licncoln power steering box on a 49-51 Merc.If i remember correctly ,it was a direct or nearly direct bolt on .It was even suppose to accept the stock Merc pitman arm.Not sure how easy it would be to find a late 60's Lincoln box now days though ...

13. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

The exk kit is looking to be the best one so far price is right and fit is good.

Taildrager49 likes this.
  14. Thanks for the feedback. It is really appreciated. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know so it is always good to have a sounding board!

15. Went to see Rick at Extreme Kustoms in Wildomar earlier today to pick up one of his Jeep steering box adapters for the Merc. While I haven't installed it yet, it looks pretty trick during the "hold and imagine" test on the frame. It looks to be a simple install and will hug the frame nicely. One corner does hit the inside of the fender well, but the creation of small blister with hammer and dolly will take care of it...no drama. Now I just have to figure out exactly which electric power steering pump to use. It seems that every decision on this project not only ends up costing me more money, but also means that I have to change or add a couple more things. Nature of the beast, I guess.

Taildrager49 likes this.
  16. barry mazza

barry mazza

Mid 60's Lincoln and T bird, a almost bolt on , remove the rubber shock biskets and re enforce the frame so the new box bolts don't crush the Merc frame. The Merc pitman arm is the same spline so, thats a good thing. I used a Chevy p/s pump, had too much presure, used Vega reducer in pump but, now they have better ways, however a Ford pump might be the way to go.
    BARRESSE'

Taildrager49 likes this.
  17. Taildrager49

Taildrager49

I don't suppose you know for sire what year Lincoln My steering box just took a dump and car has Flathead shoebox central told me they pulled their lit off market because it won't fit with Flathead. I would like to drive my car if I can find something that fits the old girl

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You may want to try repairing or rebuilding the stock front end and getting an alignment. When they were new these cars were not hard to steer. Don't forget to fill the shocks with jack oil if they are lever type, or buy new ones if they are tubular. Others have taken this advice and been very pleased with the results. Their cars were a pleasure to steer and handle. There are ways to improve them without spending a lot of money.

Taildrager49 likes this.
  19. Taildrager49

Taildrager49

Steering box locked up in a turn need something more modern power would be nice if I can find it

20. Just like that? :confused:

21. Taildrager49

Taildrager49

How
    Did that jeep steering into merc fit?
    Did that car have flathead ?I need to do a box and my car is flathead.

22. Taildrager49

Taildrager49

Yes had to give it hard jerk to get it loose car is aligned and shocks but had play when I got car now is in gagage waiting on me to revive it so modern would be better but flathead makes steering placement tight

23. Taildrager49

Taildrager49

Thanks I looked at stream customs on Facebook and they had photos of jeep box with flathead sent him a check unit looks good on frame your answer is appreciated these forums are great to find information from people that have tried products

24. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

[/ATTACH] merc2.jpg merc4.jpg merc1.jpg
    EXK kit

25. Taildrager49

Taildrager49

Ok got extream customs box and plate it's in the car now I need u joint to hook box to column as Rick didn't send it was to be drop shipped but hasn't come I need to have car running by Wednesday night can anyone tell me what input the shaft on the grand cheeroke box is so I can source one can't wait for someone that hasn't returned my calls or instant message have all installed but don't want to cut column till I have the proper u joint in hand

26. Taildrager49

Taildrager49

I have the box in but don't have the coupler for the stock column which is 3/4 inch to what on the jeep box ?

27. sunbeam

sunbeam

It's not hamb friendly but late GM electric power steering units are cheap and can be adapted. And you get to keep your stock steering.

28. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

1953 Ford Car with electric power steering. Budget friendly and no pumps and hoses to run. 54pwr str.jpeg

29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

30. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Uni-steer and Flaming river make kits for around $700.00. pretty damn reasonable for power steering. Would have done that in a heartbeat over the Toyota Land cruiser setup in my father in laws 1950 F1

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app