Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 mercury coupe vent window rubber

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by MurderCityMerc, Oct 19, 2019.

1. MurderCityMerc

MurderCityMerc

Hi there just got some new vent window weatherstrip amd having an issue removing the window. The bottom nut , spring and washer came off bht the tip washer is stuck. I think its pinched there on purpose not to move so it can keep pressure down on the rest of the sprig assembly. Do i have to drill out the rivets that hold that bracket in then re revit with a pop rivet or am i missing something? Thank you in advanced. Enclosed is some pics. 20191016_165125.jpeg 20191016_165131.jpeg 20191015_183638.jpeg 20191015_180420.jpeg 20191015_180400.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

Don’t know for sure but my 51 had 2 screws on top of door jamb just took those out and the rest came with it. Maybe they were riveted when new but not sure good luck

MurderCityMerc likes this.
  3. MurderCityMerc

MurderCityMerc

So the whole assembly came out of the door it just i cant get the vent window out because this washer wont come out. Not sure if its supposed to stay there and that braket surrounding it needs to be popped out. Should have been clearer on the pics lol 20191019_181957.jpeg 20191019_182209.jpeg

4. No no, that washer does come off the splines just like the lower ones you already removed. It's just stuck from age. The 2 rivets you see just hold the shaft in the S.S. glass frame. Don't remove them if you done need to. Replace a nut on the threads just flush to the bottom of the shaft and set it on a solid work station. Then gently tap the washer in question on each side of the shaft and it will let go. You should know when you start to put it back together there is a void in the splines to clock the stop shoulder to keep the frame work from turning to far and stopping where it belongs. Pay attention when removing things.

jimmy bruns and MurderCityMerc like this.

5. MurderCityMerc

MurderCityMerc

Ahh ok cool thank you very much. I did see the matching spines and tapped it but was too afraid to keep tapping it. Figured i should ask before i go further. I appreciate all the help!

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  6. oldsman41

oldsman41

Sorry I didn’t quite get it but yes post got it mine was kind of rusted also I sprayed it with solvent and let it set then tap tap and it came off

MurderCityMerc likes this.
  7. MurderCityMerc

MurderCityMerc

I know man its a pain in the butt i have it soaked with solvent also so im waiting patiently lol. Thanks for your help!